Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I iron mine... do you iron yours?

Bebop

Practically Family
Never iron while naked...

I may be a freak but I love ironing my clothes. No one can do it the right way or better said, the way I want it done. I iron t-shirts and ties also. There are some shirts and pants that do not need ironing but I give them the once over anyway. My mother was an ironing freak also. She ironed table cloths, pajamas, jeans, aprons, anything that didn't move. I am surprised that I managed to grow up with such curly hair. I am sure she would have ironed my hair if I would have stood still long enough.:rolleyes: I did very well in the military keeping my uniforms in perfect shape and would win time-off for having such tip-top and perfectly ironed uniforms and shined shoes. I did learn a great ironing lesson a few years ago. Never iron while nude.:eek: Irons are much hotter than most of my body parts.;)

Etienne said:
I am astounded that any of you men iron at all!! My husband has never ironed a thing in his life--I doubt he even knows where I keep it! But then, I really enjoy ironing! I like the whole process of it (and I love taking care of my better half!) But I applaud you gentlemen! Good for you!

You just described me. What's an iron? How do you operate a washer and what is a dryer? Ironing board? All too strange for me to imagine. Are they like the stove? Scratch that I don't know how to use that either. :p lol

Regards,

J

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I despise ironing because I never do a good job - no matter how hard I try. Therefore, it all goes out to the laundry. Shirts and pants come back on hangars and go right into the closet.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
One of the male characters in a Murakami novel irons shirts when he's upset...it's how his wife knows he's upset.

I don't mind ironing if it results in looking "sharp".

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
At The Dry Cleaners, I am Known As

Potato Chip Shirt Guy.

All shirts get sent out. I hate to iron shirts and wouldn't put anyone else through such torture. For a buck or so... not worth my time. And they dip them wet and iron them stiff enough to stand up on their own.

Cotton pants I do myself, also handkerchiefs.

My grandmother used to dip-starch the bed linens! Sounds awful, but MAN do I miss those crisp, white sheets.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Bebop, I got a chuckle out of your "curly hair" observation. When I was about 10 or 11 I kept hearing about older girls ironing their hair, thereby getting lustrous, smooth, sleek locks. My 9 year old sister and I had very thick, long wavy hair and we hated it, so she asked me to iron hers. Wanting to appear very much the older sister "in the know" I proceeded to fire up the steam iron, then lay her lovely auburn hair across the ironing board. I put that iron on her hair and was utterly fascinated by the acrid, burnt-wool smell emmanating from it. Less than 5 seconds later, her 18 inch long hair was about 4 inches long on that one side. To make her feel better, I cut my off as well! These days I stick to ironing laundry...!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Ironing is fine ... but I've never understood the American executive's obsession with having his button-down shirts laundered with HEAVY starch.
The Land's End Hyde Park Oxford comes out like cardboard. Starchy glee!

Irena

One of the Regulars
I love a freshly ironed pillowcase. I have several old sets with wonderful embroidery and crochet edges - they feel so good when they're ironed.

I like to iron just about any piece of clothing that gets in my way. I don't use starch at all, though.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
HEAVY! HEAVY! Starch

I have to have my shirts with heavy starch. I want look fresh all day long.[huh] I remember my grandparents were absolutely against any hint of sloppiness. So much so that they starched my brother's denims one day when we spent the weekend. Talk about itchy and scratchy.:eek:
As for ironing; if I have to I'll do it myself but for the time it takes to iron five or six shirts; the $8 is worth it. My dress pants are 100% wool so they have to be dry cleaned anyway. The casual pants? Wash and wear.:eek:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
magneto said:
"Unironed handkerchiefs lead to madness" --some forgotten genius.

Too true. I went to work with an un-ironed linen handkerchief in my pocket and I kept fidgeting with the darn thing. Linen droops galore, and when it's unironed in handkerchief form you look like a slob whatever outfit with it be paired.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Not much on ironing my own things... it all pretty much goes to the laundry. I prefer my shirts starched and they seem to do a good job... although I have heard that professionally laundering/starching items considerably shortens the life of the items. My buttons seem to be on suicide missions - they rarely ever all come back home. We have someone who irons for us - table linens, hankerchiefs, children's clothes, etc.

I remember starched bed linens, too. Man, did they feel good!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"Shirts, handkerchiefs and cotton trousers are ironed."

With all deference to the varying sensibilities here, the answer for me depends on whether the handkerchief is ornamental (as seen in a coat's breast pocket) or "functional" and carried in my hip pocket.

Mine are strictly functional and carried in my hip pocket. If they are used once, whether they ever were ironed becomes moot...the re-folding and sitting on them assures it.

I remember having a conversation with my mother about this - she was taken aback that I didn't iron my handkerchiefs. But IMO, it would be a total waste of time. Besides, if they are for functional use, I'd much rather have them softer, un-ironed and un-starched. Much easier on the nose.

Cotton trousers? To the laundry! I'm capable of ironing them myself, but I hate doing it, and as a friend says, "The WHY question occurs to me."

I remember finding a website where there was an ode to the pleasures of getting up early in the AM so the author had time to iron his shirt for the day. Ah, he wrote, the pleasure of feeling the iron traverse the shirt, adding a crisp feel to it.

I concluded the author was deeply brain damaged.

If I'm forced to iron shirts, I'm darn sure not getting up early in the AM to do it. That would probably result in a scorched shirt, a tremendously frustrated and surly mood on my part, and my going to work in a turtleneck or hawaiian shirt.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The only thing I really ever iron is my 'fancy' dresses. It's just ruins the whole look if you don't. No matter how well you do your make-up or hair:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace