Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Like This Hat, But How Do You Just Start Wearing a Hat...

jkingrph

Practically Family
Nice classy, casual style hat. I started my hat journey with an Akubra Banjo Patterson, similar style, same hatband, and a slightly better quality felt. It's a similar style, with a marginally more narrow brim.

Put it on and start wearing it every day. I did that, felt awkward and self conciencous for a while, but soon got over it and wear a hat whenever I step outside.

Look around, there are enough wierd looking characters out there. Don't worry about what others might think.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Absolutely. You may get some odd looks at first from your friends but after a week the hat will become part of their image of you and no one will pay any attention. With luck, another guy or two will use you as a model and start down the route chapeau as well.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
That's not a hat I'd care to wear but to most people a hat's a hat. 99% of the people you encounter on a daily basis will not even notice the difference in that Akubra vs. a 1950's Borsalino vs. a Vintage Silhouettes custom. It's just a big hat, if you going to wear one it matters only to yourself about the details.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If anything, western-style hats are easier to slip into 'under the radar' than true fedoras, in my opinion. Just pop it on, and go about your business. People'll get used to it quick enough. At first you'll receive a few comments, but they should lessen in frequency over time.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Like this and not look like an eccentric at best and a bit nutty at worse?

Do you just jump in and pretend like you've always been wearing them? Do you acknowledge that you just started wearing a hat like this? It's a big move.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akubra-Hat-...?pt=US_Hats&hash=item5d30984553#ht_824wt_1110

Take it out of the box, put it on your head, look in the mirror and like what you see and head out the door :) Fewer people than you think will pay it any attention. And those that do, I'd say half will admire it and the rest ya just smile and keep on truckin. Your gonna buy a DAMN NICE hat. Wear it proudly :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A hat only looks bad if you know that you're wearing it.

What I mean by that is that if you're self-conscious about the hat, people are going to notice. Put it on and act like you do this every day of your life.

I went out in public for the first time today with my new straw boater hat. Never worn one before. Never owned one before.

After an hour wandering around outside, I completely forgot I had it on.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jeez, you're just wearing a hat....it's not like you're coming out of the closet after a sex change......

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I have that hat and I get compliments when I wear it. Most people do think it's a cowboy hat.
As for how to start wearing hat's just go for it. I think that alot of men wish they could wear hat's but don't have the confidence to do so.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Jeez, you're just wearing a hat....it's not like you're coming out of the closet after a sex change......

The thread is a bit tongue in cheek to be honest, I'm not actually too concerned about what people think. I have a beard and sleeve tattoos so I hardly blend into the crowd. Just curious as to how people made that transition to wearing a hat like this. I think the biggest worry is my wife will hate it and think I've gone mad, I couldn't really care less about what other folks think

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The thread is a bit tongue in cheek to be honest, I'm not actually too concerned about what people think. I have a beard and sleeve tattoos so I hardly blend into the crowd. Just curious as to how people made that transition to wearing a hat like this. I think the biggest worry is my wife will hate it, I couldn't really care less about other folks.

I think the Akubra Angler's a nice type of hat. For most people, I think they'll either see it as either an Australian or cowboy hat of some kind, but that's not a bad thing. In my opinion, that Angler is a true outdoorsman's hat. You could get away with wearing it around town too.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Like so many others before me I just wanted to say: just put it on your head and become comfortable with it. During the first weeks you will be a little uncomfortable, like: "How do I look like? What do others think?" But as soon as you are comfortable with it, you'll never leave home without a hat on your head. Then it's like the missing part of your body you are incomplete and naked without...

Cicero

A-List Customer
Put it on and start wearing it every day. I did that, felt awkward and self conciencous for a while, but soon got over it and wear a hat whenever I step outside.

Look around, there are enough wierd looking characters out there. Don't worry about what others might think.

TOTALLY agree with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner