Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Like This Hat, But How Do You Just Start Wearing a Hat...

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Wear the hat, don't let the hat wear you. When I first began to wear hats, the first comments I got from my friends were all positive. I had one friend who asked me, after he had seen me in a hat a few times, "since when did you start wearing hats." I replied that "gosh, a guy wears a hat and gets all this attention. I began conceal carrying a pistol two years ago and no one seemed to care." My friend is very anti-second amendment, so I couldn't pass up a chance to rib her on it.

mflemming

One of the Regulars
I can tell you from personal experience: after you have worn a kilt a few times, the thought of going out in a hat won't bother you at all.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
The best is a kilt AND a hat!
Could not agree more
2011-10-01_12-03-09_117.jpg

Hat: Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green
Kilt: Ancient MacKenzie pleated to the stripe.
Scotch: the Bowmore 12year old

Jeff

scooter

Practically Family
I gotta tell ya, I've reached that age in my life when I just do what pleases me. I put the hat on, I walk out the door and I couldn't give a fig what anyone else thinks. I've reached that point when I simply cut out of my life anyone or anything that doesn't bring me pleasure/contentment/happiness, whatever word one cares to ascribe to it. That is certainly not to suggest one strike and you're out, but I ain't putting up with guff from anyone, so if they don't like my hat, they can look elsewhere.

But you still ain't talking me into a kilt, Jeff. You, however, look smashing!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I gotta tell ya, I've reached that age in my life when I just do what pleases me. I put the hat on, I walk out the door and I couldn't give a fig what anyone else thinks. I've reached that point when I simply cut out of my life anyone or anything that doesn't bring me pleasure/contentment/happiness, whatever word one cares to ascribe to it. That is certainly not to suggest one strike and you're out, but I ain't putting up with guff from anyone, so if they don't like my hat, they can look elsewhere.

Amen.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Start casual.
Wear it around your friends, out to shop, fall and winter are the perfect time

"I'm just trying to keep the weather off."
That Akubra will take the weather just fine.

By spring have a couple more, dressy ones, and add them into the mix and start looking for some straws for late spring and summer.

By the time next summer is over and you've kept cool under your shady straws, you will go into the following fall wearing a hat all the time.

Good luck!

Sam

PS .... Nice new avatar, MB!

mattface

Practically Family
There have been lots of helpful comments about how to transition into being comfortable in a hat, and I don't want to take away from that, but this thread reminded me of one day in high school when I got on the bus carrying a Happy Days lunchbox and someone said "Only you could pull off carrying a happy days lunch box", to which I thought "anyone can pull off carrying a Happy Days lunchbox, all you have to do to pull it off is to pick it up and walk onto the bus."

Since I started wearing Fedora's regularly I've gotten a few similar comments about wearing fedoras, though not nearly as plentiful as the compliments I've received on the nice hats. My thoughts are still the same, the only thing one really needs to pull off wearing a hat is to do it. Of course it helps to do it with confidence, and it doesn't hurt to pick a hat that looks good on you. I do not have the confidence (nor the desire) to "pull off" the wearing of a hat that is not flattering on me.

jwalls

Vendor
I was 14 or 15 when I purchased my first dress hat (a 1930's derby). After that one noboby notices a nice fedora!

jkingrph

Practically Family

But you still ain't talking me into a kilt, Jeff. You, however, look smashing!

Another Jeff here. I could not agree more, thinking a lot of us have grown to adopt this attitude toward life and others.

No one is talking me into a kilt either, but in reality it's not a lot of difference from shorts.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My thoughts are still the same, the only thing one really needs to pull off wearing a hat is to do it. Of course it helps to do it with confidence, and it doesn't hurt to pick a hat that looks good on you. I do not have the confidence (nor the desire) to "pull off" the wearing of a hat that is not flattering on me.

That's not necessarily a sure thing. What one person thinks looks good on their head others may not so much. That's why it's all the more important to be comfortable with what you like because others may not think so, and we know what their opinions are worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot