Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love art deco, but...

Brinybay

Practically Family
$500 smackers for a poster?!! What makes this thing worth that much?! It's a silk screen, so what?! Is it printed on currency?! FWIW, I saw this same poster in an antique mall in Seattle, framed, with a price tag of $900! That's how I found it online, I googled it thinking that it's just a poster, I thought I could find it for around $20. Silly me! Well gee, I just found a way to save myself $400, and free shipping to boot, WHAT A DEAL! NOT!

HOLLYWOOD 100TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION SERIGRAPH POSTER

Brinybay

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
No worries; it's ugly anyway.

Yeah, say what? Not an art deco fan, I take it. That's ok, to each his own. I'm more curious as to how they justify the high price tag. Beautiful as it is, $500 is nonsense for a poster.

Tiller

Practically Family
Brinybay said:
Yeah, say what? Not an art deco fan, I take it. That's ok, to each his own. I'm more curious as to how they justify the high price tag. Beautiful as it is, $500 is nonsense for a poster.

I agree so to, but obviously someone in the past has bought it for that much. Either that or the seller things someone will pay the much for it. That's the way prices work. I remember my first economics class. "What thinks cost depend on three variables. How rare it is. How many uses it has. And finally how much people are willing to pay for it."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I love Deco. I hate souped-up campy fantasy Deco, and that is what this poster is.

It's a wedding cake made of chandeliers and rhinestones, for a ceremony where no wedding will take place and no cake will be served. There is no gas or oil in the cars, and the seats are upholstered with ostrich fuzz and mirrors, and all anyone can do is dance. It's more stars than there are in heaven, all bought and paid for and arranged to someone else's taste, someone who has no ideas but to make everything big and sparkling and cold and hard. It is fantasy about fantasy about fantasy.

It is a big nothing, in fact the biggest nothing imaginable, a champagne hangover without the alcohol and without the taste. Looking at it is like being trapped in a huge, echoing, transparent empty head.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, somebody must be willing to pay that if the posters are selling. Probably somebody with a lot of money decorating their daughter's room.

Besides, you get a free random movie poster gift with it. And the shipping is free.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Fletch said:
I love Deco. I hate souped-up campy fantasy Deco, and that is what this poster is.

It's a wedding cake made of chandeliers and rhinestones, for a ceremony where no wedding will take place and no cake will be served. There is no gas or oil in the cars, and the seats are upholstered with ostrich fuzz and mirrors, and all anyone can do is dance. It's more stars than there are in heaven, all bought and paid for and arranged to someone else's taste, someone who has no ideas but to make everything big and sparkling and cold and hard. It is fantasy about fantasy about fantasy.

It is a big nothing, in fact the biggest nothing imaginable, a champagne hangover without the alcohol and without the taste. Looking at it is like being trapped in a huge, echoing, transparent empty head.

Yeah, but what do you really think about it?

Brinybay

Practically Family
I have doubts about some of these posters being genuine antiques. The one I saw in the antique store said "1968" on the tag. An employee told me the poster I was looking at wasn't from 1968, but was a reproduction. So that means the originals were produced in 1968? And there are reproductions somewhere? I still like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart