Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
Were the first creases in your respective hats happen to the ones that other creases revert back to?
I actually tried to put a diamond cease in mine from the very beginning. Even with steam it fell back into a teardrop. I finally decided that the hat wanted a teardrop and left it at that.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
Were the first creases in your respective hats happen to the ones that other creases revert back to?

Yeah I had a diamond/shield in mine for about a year. I found it worked well to take a fraction of the height out of it and to suit my long oval head. I rebashed it several times recently with mucho soaking and steaming to try and get a slightly rougher looking 'old-style' teardrop but find that as I wear it, first one side and then the other will develop a corner.

Ah well, still like it [huh]

And Bill, yes it's the standard.

As the father of a three year old I've found it nice to have such durable lids (I mainly wear my 4 Akubras). The kids certainly give em a workout!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
kaosharper1 said:
I only have a Fed III but I've rebashed it several times, and it always stays put.

I initially put a center dent in my Fed III. Later I steamed in a C-crown because it's taller than the IV's I have, and just to make it different. It stayed just fine and I had it that way for about a half year. Eventually I decided I wanted to go back to a center dent, so I steamed the top and smoothed that back to an open crown, then put center dent in and it has stayed fine.

I think you can go whichever way with light steaming and pressing with smooth objects, but you might have problems with tight pinches, stuff like that - if you want to get that out. Then again I don't have real hatters' gear. The pros here could probably do almost anything.

Mine are the Heritage felt.

- Bill

DRB

One Too Many
Mahagonny Bill said:
I actually tried to put a diamond cease in mine from the very beginning. Even with steam it fell back into a teardrop. I finally decided that the hat wanted a teardrop and left it at that.

I had the same experience. Just seems to like the teardrop.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Compared to a previous page or two, this is my Federation at it's current state. As you can see, it's a bit more Indiana Jones-esque, particularly Raiders inspired.

dsc00018cp.jpg

dsc00017kq.jpg

dsc00016h.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Compared to a previous page or two, this is my Federation at it's current state. As you can see, it's a bit more Indiana Jones-esque, particularly Raiders inspired.

That's a cool crease! You appear to be having some serious fun with your Fed, J B. Thanks for sharing. :eusa_clap

The Good

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
That's a cool crease! You appear to be having some serious fun with your Fed, J B. Thanks for sharing. :eusa_clap

Why thank you! I'm definitely enjoying it, but I'm beginning to think I can't even make up my mind on keeping a consistent crease! As it's the only fur felt I own, it's just the hat I find myself changing around pretty often.

I actually like this better than the pseudo-diamond crease I had before, I liked it too, but I figure with all of the Indy comments I've been getting, I may as well keep it somewhat accurate, not that I'm offended by the comments.

DRB

One Too Many
Mr. J.B.,
Did you use steam when you made that crease?

Excellent job. Looks professionally done.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
DRB said:
Mr. J.B.,
Did you use steam when you made that crease?

Excellent job. Looks professionally done.

I must admit, no I didn't. No steam was actually used, what I ended up doing was running the shower water on it briefly, then I shaped it, and I took it with me on a hike, to let the sun warm it up. I've never actually used steam before, but cold water seems to work well in my experience. Thank you, though!

Edward

Bartender
ScottyRocks...I would also go Tawny Fawn over the Carbon. It just seems more classic or unique to me. But, having a Dark Brown already, maybe you want to move to the dark side and get that Carbon? Tough call.

I have two MkIIIs; Deluxe in the brown, and Carbon in the Standard. I intend over the next couple of years to buy four MkIVs to complete my colour set.... Sounds extravagent, but my Feds are by far my favourite hats and get more wear through the Winter than any of my other fedoras. If I could add anything to the range, I'd opt for a midnight blue, and moonstone with a silver-grey ribbon (i.e. something close to the colour of the hat body itself). The latter would, I think, be a superb all-round hat, as the neutral Ribbon would allow it to pair superbly with blacks, blues and earthtones. However, I digress.... I find that the Carbon and the Brown between them cover all the colour bases for day to day wear, an excellently flexible pairing. If anything, the carbon is more flexible than my black hats, as it is just that touch less 'severe' than black can seem sometimes. That said, if I was looking today to buy two Feds to cover as wide range of wardrobe options as possible, I'd opt for the brown and the Moonstone.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I have two MkIIIs; Deluxe in the brown, and Carbon in the Standard. I intend over the next couple of years to buy four MkIVs to complete my colour set.... Sounds extravagent, but my Feds are by far my favourite hats and get more wear through the Winter than any of my other fedoras. If I could add anything to the range, I'd opt for a midnight blue, and moonstone with a silver-grey ribbon (i.e. something close to the colour of the hat body itself). The latter would, I think, be a superb all-round hat, as the neutral Ribbon would allow it to pair superbly with blacks, blues and earthtones. However, I digress.... I find that the Carbon and the Brown between them cover all the colour bases for day to day wear, an excellently flexible pairing. If anything, the carbon is more flexible than my black hats, as it is just that touch less 'severe' than black can seem sometimes. That said, if I was looking today to buy two Feds to cover as wide range of wardrobe options as possible, I'd opt for the brown and the Moonstone.

I have a collection of vintage hats that are very nice all - I have a Whippet for instance. But for personal fit the FedIV Deluxe is hard to be and for price unbeatable IMHO.

Edward

Bartender
The fact that it's a modern production hat is also a bonus to me. I have a few vintage lids, too, which I do wear (I'm not prepared to take up the space sotring something I'd be scared to take out and use...), but there's great comfort in daily wearing out a hat that can, worst case scenario, be replaced...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
The fact that it's a modern production hat is also a bonus to me. I have a few vintage lids, too, which I do wear (I'm not prepared to take up the space sotring something I'd be scared to take out and use...), but there's great comfort in daily wearing out a hat that can, worst case scenario, be replaced...
The companies are counting on it!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my contribution.

FedoraStyleAlex.jpg

awesomealex.jpg

Shortly after this I was caught in a huge thunderstorm, on foot, and me and the FED got SOAKED! It took five days to dry, developed the teensiest bit of taper, but I've done my best to restore the shape. It's a teardrop now, but I'll soon have it back to diamond/teardrop.

Here it is now, until I can shape it further.
AfterRainUpShot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn