Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

warbird

One Too Many
My Fed, which predates the Fed IV by several years has been a tremendous hat. It now has probably been over 4 million miles with me from southern Africa to the Arctic Circle. It has been in monsoons and blizzards, sand storms, jungles and everything in between.

The only wear it has shown at all, other than a small bit of fur scraped on one brim edge, has been a sweat stain at the front on the ribbon. I was caught out in a real gully washer the other day and the hat was once again soaked. When it dried the sweat stain was gone. :)

The older it gets the softer it gets and a few showers do wonders to soften it up a bit. But also retains its shape. The only hats that come close to the abuse this one has taken is a Snowy River that has also held up wonderfully well. It's the one I have on in my avatar. The other is an old Stetson western hat that has been through the wringer and is showing its age. I can't speak highly enough of Akubra.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had posted this in classifieds, but I might as well put here, too, as this is the Fed IV thread. I'm looking for a carbon gray Fed IV in a size 59. If anyone's got one they wanna part with, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.

jbucklin

Practically Family
My new Carbon Grey Fed IV:
Photo310.jpg

Photo312.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Mike, it was a little under two weeks for delivery.

Kirk, I hand-bashed it.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Last edited:

mikeg

New in Town
Well Kirk, this is your fault! After your post, I gave in and ordered my Fed IV deluxe in Moonstone Grey.
Can not wait....can not wait...can not wait...!!!

Mike

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Well Kirk, this is your fault! After your post, I gave in and ordered my Fed IV deluxe in Moonstone Grey.
Can not wait....can not wait...can not wait...!!!

Mike

Well I always get blamed for something, but why is it my fault? The Fed IV is a great hat and I know you will be happy with it. Have fun bashing it the way you want it and enjoy wearing it. I hope the wait won't be to long or unbearable.

BTW welcome to the Lounge.

Kirk

mikeg

New in Town
Well I always get blamed for something, but why is it my fault? The Fed IV is a great hat and I know you will be happy with it. Have fun bashing it the way you want it and enjoy wearing it. I hope the wait won't be to long or unbearable.

BTW welcome to the Lounge.

Kirk

Kirk- I hope you got my sense of humor. Sometimes my sense of humor does not come across via email etc. I have been thinking about getting a Fed IV for awhile and then you posted your latest hat, and that was the finial decision point for me. It just looks too good to not own one!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Kirk- I hope you got my sense of humor. Sometimes my sense of humor does not come across via email etc. I have been thinking about getting a Fed IV for awhile and then you posted your latest hat, and that was the finial decision point for me. It just looks too good to not own one!

I took it as a joke and was responding the same way, the curse of e-mail and such is not being able to convey the tone. The last photo posted was jbucklin's new Fed IV in which I was admiring the bash he put in it. The Feds are great hats, I own two and they are fun to personalize with your own bash. One of mine has the "Indy" bash and the other is shaped in a C-Crown. When you get yours make sure to post some photos, because I would love to see it.

Take care

Kirk

jbucklin

Practically Family
Okay, I have three Deluxes---Brown, Moonstone, and Heritage Fawn. I also have one Imperial in Charcoal Grey (if they offered that color in the Heritage line I would have opted to buy it, but alas, they don't). This leaves only one more color to get: Black. I am seriously considering getting the Deluxe in black. I just rarely see them on this thread. Can anyone post some pics if you have a black Fed? I don't usually care for black hats but, well...I love the Fed IV, and I must have them all!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I also like the creasing jbucklin did, and it's similar to those I've done in mine (3 Fed IVs and one Fed III).

I did flirt with a c-crown shape for a while in the Fed III I have, but reverted to the center crease. I don't know if any of you have noticed or if it matters, but for me the center crease makes an "regular oval" fit better on my long-oval head than diamonds or c-crowns. I did a diamond on a vintage Mallory and a more recent Borsalino for a while, and eventually concluded that it just doesn't make the hats sit right on my head.

If the hat is long oval to begin with, that's a different story! And probably a different thread, since Akubra isn't offering that option.

I really admire some of the 1930s shapes...I don't make an extremely sharp front pinch in general, rather softer, and carry it back on the top about like jbucklin's, but try to bring it down in front and toward the rear as far as the ribbon or even a bit into that. Varies with the hat of course, but just a look that I like.

Cheers, y'all!

Last edited:

mikieson

New in Town
2 types of bashing, C-crown on the Moonstone and "Indy" on the Dark Brown.

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg
Nice hats..I love mine as well. I wear it more then my new AB. Mostly cause I dont wanna wear the AB out,take a chance on messing it up to much as the cost is quite a bit more then my Fed..BUT one day I'll take them both on an adventure!!..;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto