Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

rrwine

New in Town
I've had my new Fed IV for a few days now and I gotta say I really like this hat! Bought it based on reviews and comments here in the lounge - thanks guys. This is my first fedora and I had not even heard of Akubra before finding this site. I think I made a wise choice. Been wearing it non stop for 4 days trying to get it to conform to my head which it is doing nicely. Had fun with the bash - nothing complicated but it works. I was expecting to get a lot of IJ comments from people but have been pleasantly surprised. Mostly I've heard "nice hat" or "you look good in that hat". Even had a customer turn to his associate and say "Do you think I could pull off wearing a hat like that?" I get the hat wearing thing now. Looking forward to my next hat purchase - either a tawny fawn Fed IV or a silverbelly or taupe fawn Campdraft. My wife thinks I'm becoming obsessed......she might be right.

m0nk

One Too Many
I've had my new Fed IV for a few days now and I gotta say I really like this hat! Bought it based on reviews and comments here in the lounge - thanks guys. This is my first fedora and I had not even heard of Akubra before finding this site. I think I made a wise choice. Been wearing it non stop for 4 days trying to get it to conform to my head which it is doing nicely. Had fun with the bash - nothing complicated but it works. I was expecting to get a lot of IJ comments from people but have been pleasantly surprised. Mostly I've heard "nice hat" or "you look good in that hat". Even had a customer turn to his associate and say "Do you think I could pull off wearing a hat like that?" I get the hat wearing thing now. Looking forward to my next hat purchase - either a tawny fawn Fed IV or a silverbelly or taupe fawn Campdraft. My wife thinks I'm becoming obsessed......she might be right.
Congrats on the purchase, and your wife is right; that certainly won't be your last, and neither will the next one. :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
rrwine, congrats on the purchase. Everyone has their own degree of 'into it,' or obsessed, whether it's with a whole bunch of hats, or very few. Either way, it becomes part of your life.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
rrwine, congrats on the purchase. Everyone has their own degree of 'into it,' or obsessed, whether it's with a whole bunch of hats, or very few. Either way, it becomes part of your life.

The problem is; purchasing new hats does not satiate the obsession, it only makes it worse.

amador

A-List Customer
I think I am going to need professional help and eventually medication. And I don't mean a professional Hatter and liquor, altho I could start there.

rrwine

New in Town
Hey guys - thanks for all the welcoming comments. I really enjoy exploring this site. Man, you folks have some incredible hat collections! Truly impressive! I've already been in email contact with Deb at Hats Direct about my next hat. It begins. Not sure of where my collection is going - right now more interested in the wearing as opposed to the collecting. Time will tell. For now - a couple more Akubra felts - maybe a straw or two for the spring.....for now.
Winsor - Marblehead is one of my favorite towns on the north shore. Beautiful place. If you see a guy wearing a brown Fed IV driving a silver Honda Fit - that's me.
Have a great Thanksgiving all.

m0nk

One Too Many
Hey guys - thanks for all the welcoming comments. I really enjoy exploring this site. Man, you folks have some incredible hat collections! Truly impressive! I've already been in email contact with Deb at Hats Direct about my next hat. It begins. Not sure of where my collection is going - right now more interested in the wearing as opposed to the collecting. Time will tell. For now - a couple more Akubra felts - maybe a straw or two for the spring.....for now.
Winsor - Marblehead is one of my favorite towns on the north shore. Beautiful place. If you see a guy wearing a brown Fed IV driving a silver Honda Fit - that's me.
Have a great Thanksgiving all.
Sure thing. And as far as collecting, the main reason that most people end up with a "collection" is that there is always the right hat for the occasion, as well as a right hat for the outfit. So, while many people here end up with quite the collection most of the hats get worn. I personally only have 5 good hats, 3 of which get rather regular wear. I'm also on a waiting list for a custom, which will likely get more wear than any I currently have. And I still don't have a black one, which I most certainly need. :D

amador

A-List Customer
A hatter and liquor will work. I recommend John Penman and The Macallan.

Thank you for the nudge. You are enabling. I had a Wee Dram of Glenlivit and ordered a Casablanca from Penman. I’ll stay away from Martinis and make sure I have at least three drinks from now on. I feel better already.

Musings:
I will now sally forth (after I sober up) and get The Macallan. I understand that it is a Whisky and not a Whiskey. Maybe I should’ve gotten a Tam O’Shanter or a Glengarry or a Balmoral.
When I drink Courvoisier should I wear a Bicorn and stick my hand in my shirt?
With my Mexican heritage I should be drinking Tequila and wearing a Sombrero Charro. However I don’t have a Caballito glass and am not a Mariachi.

I need another drink, things are starting to clear up.

m0nk

One Too Many
Thank you for the nudge. You are enabling. I had a Wee Dram of Glenlivit and ordered a Casablanca from Penman. I’ll stay away from Martinis and make sure I have at least three drinks from now on. I feel better already.

Musings:
I will now sally forth (after I sober up) and get The Macallan. I understand that it is a Whisky and not a Whiskey. Maybe I should’ve gotten a Tam O’Shanter or a Glengarry or a Balmoral.
When I drink Courvoisier should I wear a Bicorn and stick my hand in my shirt?
With my Mexican heritage I should be drinking Tequila and wearing a Sombrero Charro. However I don’t have a Caballito glass and am not a Mariachi.

I need another drink, things are starting to clear up.
I have also ordered a Casablanca from Penman and although the next 6 months will be arduous, it will certainly be worth the wait.

As for the Glenlivet, I definitely have some of that in the cabinet as well. When drinking Courvoisier, I still wear the Fed IV. :D

rrwine

New in Town
Good point mOnk. Different hats for different occasions, seasons and styles - pretty soon you've got 6 or 7 hats without really trying. The Fed IV as a drinking hat - I like it. Time to open a nice bottle of bordeaux and toast the new lid.

amador

A-List Customer
Hooray, Joy and trumpets! I feel like a song! My FedIV Moonstone just arrived. Looks great. I will try to waint until after Thanksgiving to bash it. Seens just a tad loose, more than my Black FedIV that I got last year.

I called my Mom and she confirmed that my Dad used to wear a Fedora back in the 30's and 40's the bad new is that there are no surviving pictures lost during a move. She remembers that he used to shop for clothes at Joe Brown in Corpus Christi TX. He had a brown and a gray Fedora both with black ribbons. He traded hats with his father-in-law exchanging one of his Fedoras for a Stetson Cowboy hat.

m0nk: thank you , we are going to be Casablanca buddies, can't wait either.
rrwine: Bordeaux it is.
Oldsarge: I will have to break out one of my berets.

Moonstone Fed IV bashing to come, stay tuned.

Maybe we need a new thread: Matching Hats to drinks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran