Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

D00R

One of the Regulars
Is the Hat band sewn to the hat? Would I be able to shift it over more towards the front of the hat so I can do the Indy Turn?

Is the Hat band sewn to the hat? Would I be able to shift it over more towards the front of the hat so I can do the Indy Turn?
Yes, the ribbon is attached to the crown with small tack stitches. But to accomplish a proper Indy Turn you need to turn the whole hat, not just the ribbon, because doing so is what gives the brim that wavy asymmetrical look. I tried it once, but found it uncomfortable to wear the hat that way.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Yes, I was looking at diagrams of how much the hat was turned, maybe for Ford to keep it snug on his head for all the action scenes?
All that needs to be done would be to unstitch the tacs? The ribon wont come apart?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I was looking at diagrams of how much the hat was turned, maybe for Ford to keep it snug on his head for all the action scenes?

Also, to lift the front of the brim out of his eyes.

All that needs to be done would be to unstitch the tacs? The ribon wont come apart?

On most hats I have taken apart, the brim and bow are two separate pieces. Iow, the bow is not actually tied up the way one would do a shoelace. It is strictly decorative. So if you remove the entire ribbon, each piece would need to be tacked down again in their proper places. It is certainly doable, but it will be more time consuming than simply removing tack stitches from a one piece unit and the rotating the whole thing.

RJR

Yes, the ribbon is attached to the crown with small tack stitches. But to accomplish a proper Indy Turn you need to turn the whole hat, not just the ribbon, because doing so is what gives the brim that wavy asymmetrical look. I tried it once, but found it uncomfortable to wear the hat that way.
+1

What I've read is that Ford was filming The Empire Strikes Back when they fitted him for his Indiana Jones wardrobe for Raiders, including the hats. After they cut his hair the hat/hats no longer fit properly, so he gave it/them the infamous "turn" to make it/them more snug.

I agree with Scott; it will definitely come apart simply because a hat ribbon and bow are comprised of several different pieces that are shaped and sewn to the hat in a way that makes them only look like a bow. Also, even if it were simpler, rotating the ribbon and bow wouldn't give the brim it's wavy asymmetrical shape--that was caused mostly by Ford wearing the hats "incorrectly" by turning them.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Ohh I just realized theres no reason to remove the ribon its just all about the turn! Lol
I just need to rotate the hat a bit an dgive it the bash, and the ribbon will shifted closer.
Im so obsessing over this hat. Looking at all photos of ever hat.
The price is just excellent.
I think i will order one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

It is at first.

But just like breaking in any hat that needs some breaking in, wearing the hat turned will eventually make the hat conform to your head and eventually it will feel normal when it is turned.

That's how it worked with my Fed III, anyway.

It is at first.

But just like breaking in any hat that needs some breaking in, wearing the hat turned will eventually make the hat conform to your head and eventually it will feel normal when it is turned.

That's how it worked with my Fed III, anyway.
I assumed as much at the time, but I was new to wearing hats and wanted a simple "classic" fedora far more than I wanted an Indy hat replica, so I didn't see the point in pursuing it.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I assumed as much at the time, but I was new to wearing hats and wanted a simple "classic" fedora far more than I wanted an Indy hat replica, so I didn't see the point in pursuing it.

Yes, I was originally influenced by the 4:30 Movie as a kid, seeing, in the '60s, all those fedoras in those 1940s and '50s films. And none of them were turned.

In fact, until my Fed III, and now my Adventurebilts, none of my other hats are turned.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "turning" a hat? Is it literally turning the hat sideways on your head?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don’t know if you can see the faint lines superimposed on the hat in the photo so I also sent you a link

a7b7ecdaffdd54462c2f5eee2c4cdb68.png

http://www.penmanhats.com/everyman-hats.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
I don’t know if you can see the faint lines superimposed on the hat in the photo so I also sent you a link

a7b7ecdaffdd54462c2f5eee2c4cdb68.png

http://www.penmanhats.com/everyman-hats.html

Do any of you have this actual hat?

From the images above, I'd think the hat would simply look mis-creased (y'know, like when one rests a formerly open-crown hat properly on one's noggin and realizes that one failed to center the front pinch with the hat/one's nose when creasing?...) vs. the effect of the original(s), wherein the hat's brim/shape itself was distorted by Ford's placing it on his head akimbo-- a disruption of the oval.

?

~ S.

Do any of you have this actual hat?

From the images above, I'd think the hat would simply look mis-creased (y'know, like when one rests a formerly open-crown hat properly on one's noggin and realizes that one failed to center the front pinch with the hat/one's nose when creasing?...) vs. the effect of the original(s), wherein the hat's brim/shape itself was distorted by Ford's placing it on his head akimbo-- a disruption of the oval.

?

~ S.

The hat in the photo is from the Everyman line; however, the Penman hats are accurate to the actual Indy hats. This is how the movie hats were (at least that’s what I’ve been told).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran