Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I don't even notice the dimensional brim most of the time; with the difference being only 7 mm it's subtle and really doesn't call attention to itself.

Yes. I've ordered from both Hats Direct/The Hattery and Everything Australian and each of my hats arrived within four to ten days. But I live in the Los Angeles area so my hats didn't have to travel across the continent. Also, if you order later in the week your hat(s) will sit in Australia immobile for two days because Australia Post doesn't work on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Thanks so much for the information. I think I’m going to order a Tawny Fawn and Moonstone.

My Fed IVs came standard shipping. Took about 2 weeks. I'm rarely in a rush, though.

I’m not in a rush so standard shipping should work great for me. Thanks for the reply.

Steven

Trouserhat

New in Town
Waiting on my second fed iv currently (deluxe this time wahey) and blimey I don't know why the customs fees over here in the UK are so staggeringly high. £40 almost. Ouch! Oh well, should be here tomorrow...

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Waiting on my second fed iv currently (deluxe this time wahey) and blimey I don't know why the customs fees over here in the UK are so staggeringly high. £40 almost. Ouch! Oh well, should be here tomorrow...

I’m glad I didn’t have an issue with fees. What color did you order? I’m pleased with the Imperial grade and I’m sure the Deluxe is nicer so enjoy your new hat.

Steven

Trouserhat

New in Town
I’m glad I didn’t have an issue with fees. What color did you order? I’m pleased with the Imperial grade and I’m sure the Deluxe is nicer so enjoy your new hat.

Steven
I've ordered in dark brown and yeah I'm interested in seeing what the difference is like really. Sadly despite parcelforce saying they would deliver today, they haven't, so hopefully tomorrow is the day. Grr!

Trouserhat

New in Town
Loving this! It was the slightest bit too big at first but i've put in a tiny bit of foam and it's perfect now. I've been wearing it non stop to break it in.

Attachments

• feddy.jpg
    feddy.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 2,316

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker...sounds creepy, anyway, so I have a brown Fed iv deluxe and I love it! It’s shaped “Last Crusade” style partially because of my love of Indiana Jones and partially because, Indy or not, it’s a great casual hat bash. I’d like to save up for a moonstone deluxe as was curious as to thoughts about how the Fed iv works for a “Maltese Falcon” Bogart style? I’m sure the brim would be fine but would the style work with the wide dimensionally cut brim?

Attachments

• 2B6A3DC4-9BA8-432A-BC7C-36BD1AF28719.jpeg
    2B6A3DC4-9BA8-432A-BC7C-36BD1AF28719.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,299

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I have a Moonstone Fed IV. I creased it in a diamond. I think the Fed IV can pass as a “Bogart” style fedora, it’s all about perspective. The average person only sees the hat, not Bogart or Indy dimensions or creases. Moonstone is a great color and I’m sure you will like it. I hope this helps, good luck.
Steven

Hercule

Practically Family
I have a Moonstone Fed IV. I creased it in a diamond. I think the Fed IV can pass as a “Bogart” style fedora, it’s all about perspective. The average person only sees the hat, not Bogart or Indy dimensions or creases. Moonstone is a great color and I’m sure you will like it. I hope this helps, good luck.
Steven

Emphasis added - that's basically it. Though these days people are more likely to equate it with Indiana Jones, unless another "fedora" move has come in recently. I always tell people I'm channeling my inner George Raft.

I've got a brand new charcole gray Fed IV still in the box under the Christmas tree (yes it's still up) waiting to be broken in. Actually I'm debating whether or not to send it out to have the brim bound. Of course nobody knows who Raft is so it ends the conversation for the most part. (If not, I tell them he's Indy's cousin)

I have to agree with Hercule. You could spend the time and money to have an exact duplicate made of the hat Bogart wore in The Maltese Falcon, wear the exact same trench coat and suit, and most people will think you're dressed as Inspector Gadget. So if you (or anyone else reading this) like the hat Bogart wore in Falcon enough to get one for yourself, go right ahead. But don't be surprised if no one comments on it, because to them it's just a hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I turned my brown Fed IV today.

Not because I am fan of the turn, in particular, but because a hole is beginning to form at the top of the front crease.

Does the hat look different? Most likely not to the casual observer, but there is a now a very slight unevenness in the way it sits on my head, which I think is kind of cool.

But the most important thing is that the almost-hole is now at a non-stressed part of the felt and is pretty much invisible. Which is a good thing.

Hercule

Practically Family
Mine developed a hole at the top of the pinch too, hence my new hat for Christmas. The new hat is so nice and pristine I'm almost afraid to wear it. I'm in no rush, I don't look like a hobo yet.

Timeras1

New in Town
That's why I bought my first Fed IV recently... I have an Indy conversion (what I'm wearing in my avatar) that has a hole forming at the top of the crease. But I love that hat, and will be attempting to repair it via scraping felt from the inside and gluing in the hole. This is an old Dobbs from the 70's, so I'm terrified I'll mess it up, I don't know if I could risk moving the crease without causing more damage.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider