Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

MCrider

A-List Customer
Chinaski said:
I think I've said to my wife, "I won't be buying any more hats - I don't need any more" at lease 3 times... and I'm sure you can all relate in some way.

Yes, we've all uttered those words at one time or another... I don't know if we are consciously aware that we are lying or not though.

lol lol lol

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
I think I've said to my wife, "I won't be buying any more hats - I don't need any more" at lease 3 times... and I'm sure you can all relate in some way.

Nope. Ain't got no wife to say these words to, but then I told myself a couple of times to hold my horses...but for some reason they keep getting lost in the pasture. :rolleyes: ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
Thank you to you as well. :)

And your guess is completely correct. This hat will suffer a lot of rain and sun the next few months and years (maybe even decades [huh]). From what I read I expect it to do well. Since I have started with fedoras I have only ever wanted one which I could wear with everything for everything, just as people did back then. I don't want a collection because I'm a minimalist and I'm glad I found a hat which is durable enough for everything it will get and nice enough to look the part.

The only other hats I would now consider are a homburg and topper. I need no more fedoras as far as I'm concerned.

First of all, nice hat, and a great bash! I went with a center-dent, but the front bash is very similar to your's, actually. However, you mentioned that you feel you have enough fedoras, and are deciding on a homburg or top hat... I would like to eventually purchase one as well, preferably from Akubra, due to the durability, but I feel I should buy perhaps two more fedoras, a light grey/moonstone type (Federation or Style Master), and a silverbelly Campdraft or Open Road/Roadmaster type of hat. Once I acheive that little goal, then I'll feel ready to go for the homburg or topper, whatever I would ultimately prefer in the end.

chum

Familiar Face
Whew!:D I started reading this thread almost 3 hours ago! I read every post! My carbon grey is on its way, and some have said, it is quite stiff compared to some of the other colors. Why is this? Is it the dye that causes this? Seems strange. I am not worried though, as I have also read, it will soften up. Going to be fun shaping it!

frussell

One Too Many
Carbon Grey

I have a two month old Carbon Grey Fed IV, and I have not found it to be stiff at all. I just sent it to Major Moore to put a wider ribbon and bound brim on it. They must have had some icy roads down there, because UPS had to turn back twice. Hope all is well with the Major. I think you'll love your Carbon Grey. It's pretty sharp. Thanks, Frank

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Got my FedIV on Friday (carbon grey), and am quite impressed. Still working on the bash at the moment (needs more snap on the brim at the front):

FedCrease4-1.jpg

FedCrease1.jpg

FedCrease2.jpg

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Looking good, Dave! :)

It took me several bashing sessions to get the brim to drop low enough over my eyes - the Akubra is a bit stiff that way, until it loosens up. :)

Big_e

Practically Family
Dave E said:
Got my FedIV on Friday (carbon grey), and am quite impressed. Still working on the bash at the moment (needs more snap on the brim at the front):

FedCrease4-1.jpg

FedCrease1.jpg

FedCrease2.jpg

I love that Fedora! Yes, I'm gonna have to add one or two to my collection.
Ernest

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here's a new photo of what my Federation IV currently looks like. I wore it while going out to church and lunch today. Love it.

dsc00330w.jpg

Do you think there might be a bit of taper in it already? It's really just three months old, but I've worn it near-daily on my walks and hikes, as well as in rain and snow up in the mountains. It's taken a lot of hard-wearing so far, but it still fits, even if on the tighter side sometimes.

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
thoughts?

I've had my black Fed IV for some time now. Also found it a bit stiff compared to my new and old stetsons. I got a great crease in it, but for some reason the brim just strikes me as a wee bit to "cowboy hatish" for me. Should I get out the good scissors and take off a half inch? Would that be totally dumb, as I don't wear it as often as I'd like and would like to get some use out of it. Interested in your thoughts...

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
kowalskt63 said:
I've had my black Fed IV for some time now. Also found it a bit stiff compared to my new and old stetsons. I got a great crease in it, but for some reason the brim just strikes me as a wee bit to "cowboy hatish" for me. Should I get out the good scissors and take off a half inch? Would that be totally dumb, as I don't wear it as often as I'd like and would like to get some use out of it. Interested in your thoughts...

Others here have done that, can't direct you to the threads. I've been tempted to myself. There's a local tack and western wear store that trims brims for a nominal fee. If you'd wear it more, it might be worth considering.

Big_e

Practically Family
J B, I never get tired of seing you with that hat. It looks so natural on you and one of the reasons that I'm gonna add one or two to my arsenal. But that may be closer to the fall, now I'm on the lookout for straw hats for the summer and I'm gonna start with a good boater.:)
Ernest

J B said:
Here's a new photo of what my Federation IV currently looks like. I wore it while going out to church and lunch today. Love it.

dsc00330w.jpg

Do you think there might be a bit of taper in it already? It's really just three months old, but I've worn it near-daily on my walks and hikes, as well as in rain and snow up in the mountains. It's taken a lot of hard-wearing so far, but it still fits, even if on the tighter side sometimes.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Big_e said:
J B, I never get tired of seing you with that hat. It looks so natural on you and one of the reasons that I'm gonna add one or two to my arsenal. But that may be closer to the fall, now I'm on the lookout for straw hats for the summer and I'm gonna start with a good boater.:)
Ernest

Thanks, Ernest! It's definitely my favorite hat, yet my only fur felt at the moment. I think my next purchase will be either the Akubra Campdraft in silverbelly, or a light grey sort of fedora, maybe the moonstone Fed IV, but I'd like to try a slightly shorter brim for the light grey one, and I don't think I have the nerve to cut the brim myself.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
Dave E said:

FedCrease4-1.jpg

FedCrease1.jpg

FedCrease2.jpg

Is that the standard brim or did you cut it down? Looks good on you but definitely not as wide as mine out of the box.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
Almost the perfect hat

If I could get the Fed IV in a range of felt colors (e.g., imagine a very very dark purple :eusa_clap) and in straw for the summer, I don't think I would ever buy anything other than Akubra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner