Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Dave E

One of the Regulars
NukeMeSlowly said:
Is that the standard brim or did you cut it down? Looks good on you but definitely not as wide as mine out of the box.

Standard brim, I haven't modded it at all. The bash is getting there slowly as well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Dave E said:
Got my FedIV on Friday (carbon grey), and am quite impressed. Still working on the bash at the moment (needs more snap on the brim at the front):

FedCrease4-1.jpg

Yep, that hat needs a bit of a good working over. :) FedIVs look best, imho, after theyve taken on some 'character.'

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Dave E said:
Standard brim, I haven't modded it at all. The bash is getting there slowly as well.

Great hat Dave.

I have a charcoal grey Banjo Paterson, and like it a lot. First Akubra I got.

By the way, I have now modified three of my four Feds to be a uniform 2-1/2" brim all around. Only the moonstone has been spared...so far. I started with the Fed III and liked the result so much that I did it to the tan Fed IV. Then a long spell, and the past month did it to the brown Fed IV. YMMV and it's all good, but I gradually came to prefer the uniform brim width.

If you go this route, don't expect to go into a western shop and have them trim it. They'll take the same amount off all around and you'll be left with a smaller dimensional brim. You have to measure and mark carefully, trim outside the marks with sharp scissors, then even things up with a small woodworking plane (!?! yep, heard me right, best tool I've found) or rasp or file, then carefully singe the stray hairs with a lighter...then repeat as necessary until perfectly uniform and smooth. Good part is, it goes quite fast after you get the hang of it.

Also BTW, if you beat the daylights out of it as Scotty implies, your Fed will only be softer and more responsive to shaping. (Did some illustrated threads about that...) Don't worry, it can take it!

- Bill

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
Great hat Dave.

I have a charcoal grey Banjo Paterson, and like it a lot. First Akubra I got.

By the way, I have now modified three of my four Feds to be a uniform 2-1/2" brim all around. Only the moonstone has been spared...so far. I started with the Fed III and liked the result so much that I did it to the tan Fed IV. Then a long spell, and the past month did it to the brown Fed IV. YMMV and it's all good, but I gradually came to prefer the uniform brim width.

If you go this route, don't expect to go into a western shop and have them trim it. They'll take the same amount off all around and you'll be left with a smaller dimensional brim. You have to measure and mark carefully, trim outside the marks with sharp scissors, then even things up with a small woodworking plane (!?! yep, heard me right, best tool I've found) or rasp or file, then carefully singe the stray hairs with a lighter...then repeat as necessary until perfectly uniform and smooth. Good part is, it goes quite fast after you get the hang of it.

I'm not inclined to mess with the brim at all, I quite like it as is. Being in the UK, western stores are not exactly common either!

Woodfluter said:
Also BTW, if you beat the daylights out of it as Scotty implies, your Fed will only be softer and more responsive to shaping. (Did some illustrated threads about that...) Don't worry, it can take it!

- Bill

It has been rained on a couple of times now and that has softened it up a touch, I know it will only improve with wearing :)

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Chuck Bobuck said:
Others here have done that, can't direct you to the threads. I've been tempted to myself. There's a local tack and western wear store that trims brims for a nominal fee. If you'd wear it more, it might be worth considering.

Well, I finally got up the nerve, and grabbed the best shears in the house. I took off 1/2 inch all the way around. It was way easier than I imagined. Did some touch up with my wifes nail file. Looks pretty good for a first timer.

DSCF7287.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
Wow! Great job there!
Ernest

kowalskt63 said:
Well, I finally got up the nerve, and grabbed the best shears in the house. I took off 1/2 inch all the way around. It was way easier than I imagined. Did some touch up with my wifes nail file. Looks pretty good for a first timer.

DSCF7287.jpg

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
I'm likely to be treading over old ground here but does anyone own both the standard and deluxe for a comparison?

Is it worth the extra $$$?

The sweat band is noticeably nicer in the Deluxe. The felt is different but I don't have a preference yet (after 1.5 years). Carbon gray is a better shade for me than Moonstone, so I've been wearing the standard more than the deluxe lately ... but the moonstone is more comfortable in hot, sunny weather.

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
After reading up on the Fed IV, I decided that I needed one. I debated with myself for a couple days on which color, brown or dark gray. I decided for brown (mostly just a coin toss) since I plan to wear it as a casual, work-in-the-yard hat. My brown Fed IV arrived yesterday and well, now I think I am going to order the dark gray, just so I can have one of each.

I've put a diamond crease in because it seems to be my favorite (at least right now). I may tighten the pinch in the front a little more, but it is mostly where I want it now. I looked at a bunch of the different creases people are giving this hat and it's incredible how different it looks with a different crease. Hey, maybe that's my rationale for getting another color - so I can give it a completely different look. :)

This is the largest brimmed hat I have now, and I was a bit concerned about how it would look on my thin face. It's certainly wide, but I think it works for me. Even if it doesn't, I love the hat and will continue to wear it. :)

Mug Shot
fed_IV_01.jpg

Diamond Crown
fed_IV_02.jpg

The bright sunlight really messed with my camera in this shot.

Jason

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
It's nice bash and it looks fine (brim wise) with your face. Getting used to the broader brims can be a bit scary at first, but soon you can't picture them any other way :)

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
Thanks folks!
This thing is already starting to shape to my head. Of course, I haven't taken it off except to sleep since it got here. I've even been tempted to sleep in it. lol

deenis

Familiar Face
Would placing a new Fed IV into a washing machine help give it a good working over and improve its looks? Of course, no dryer could be used due to shrinkage.

Just wondering if anyone has tried putting it into a washing machine.:eek:

Mine should be here in a day or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner