Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Met Food Network's Alton Brown Today

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I got a call from my roommate this afternoon, telling me that Alton Brown was sitting in his restaurant having cheesecake. I'm a huge fan of Good Eats and Iron Chef America so I rushed down there, hoping to get a chance to say hello. Well, the place was empty except for him and his two associates. He was speaking with the owner at the time, so, I sat back and waited. As they were standing up and getting ready to go, I asked his security guy if I could say hello, but before I had the chance Alton Brown said hello to me! He asked to look at my tattoo, and asked me a few questions about it. He was truly a very friendly guy. I'm not one to "gush" over celebrities, so, I was really just talking to him normally, which I think he appreciated.

I shamelessly brought along my recipe notebook, which I have been putting together for a couple years now. All recipes of my creation. He was more than happy to take a look through it. He even signed the inside cover for me! We had a nice conversation, and he was just really cool to talk to. Here is a picture of the autograph I got.. now keep in mind, this is just an old ratty notebook I've been jotting recipes down in since High School, not exactly a Moleskine or anything..

MR_MISANTHROPY

Well, I was excited to say the least to meet my favorite Food Network star. I actually met Sara Moulton once too. When I was in the Navy she filmed a show on my submarine. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to her though. I'm something of an amateur chef, and I love to cook, so, this was a great experience for me. Just thought I'd share. :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
He needs the bodyguard in case the Evil French Chef shows up to criticize his cheesecake! lol

Well, I saw him fighting a giant squid on tv the other day, so apparently he does need a body guard. lol

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm an Alton fan as well. I'm a food network addict, but Good Eats and Iron Chef are on my top five list.

Mine too!!

That is so cool you got a chance to meet him and I love his autograph!! :eusa_clap

Nashoba

One Too Many
My dad is a valuable / rare book dealer and goes to a ridiculous amount of signings. Since my mom is a bit of a cook (she's actually and artisan baker and does really awsome cakes) he will ususally give in and go to the chef signings too. They're Alton Brown fans so whenever he comes to town my parents go see him and get books signed. As a result I have one of his books signed to me...it was a birthday present. My dad has also said he is a very down to earth personable guy. Awsome that you got to have a good conversation with him!

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I enjoy many of the Food Network shows, but I would have to rate Alton Brown at the top of the list. He explains and entertains at the same time.

Many cooking shows list the ingredients and demonstrate the cooking process. Alton Brown does all that. But he also has the intellectual chops to discuss the science behind the art of cooking, yet do so in an amusing and accessible way.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm an Alton fan as well. I'm a food network addict.
Then you may want to attend this food fest as it's sponsored by the FN and always includes a group of their stars who readily schmooze with the attendees. I've attended all seven and IIRC Alton hasn't missed a year.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
What luck, Mr_Misanthropy!

I am also a food network addict (in fact I'm watching Ace of Cakes as I type this...). Alton Brown is pretty much my favorite Food Network star. I feel like I'm actually learning something valuable when I watch his show and not just watching a recipe. I really enjoyed his Feasting on Asphalt show. He seemed like a truly nice and friendly guy and I am glad that he is in real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner