Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need Some Good Advise.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wanna swap a Ribbon out on a Light colored Dobbs that I transformed last year. At the time I only had some Black ribbon to put on it to replace the braided band that I took off. I made the bow and all, but wasn't really happy the way it looked, contrast and all.

Since then, I acquired some Grosgrain & I wanna change it but I'm unsure of the color. This is where you guys come in. I have 4 colors to choose from. Dark Brown, Dark Blue, Gold, and another Brown with a red/purplish tint to it. They are all 1 1/2". Here's some pics, sorry they're not very good, I just snapped a few quick ones. [huh]

1.Blue.
Ribbons4.jpg

2.Gold.
Ribbons2.jpg

3.Dark Brown.
Ribbons1.jpg

4.Red/brown.
Ribbons3.jpg

I appreciate any feedback, also all advise/input. Thanks Guys.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Of the choices presented, I'd go with #3, the brown.

That being said, you know what color I think would be killer with that lid?...

Green!!! :)

Cheers,
JtL

ortega76

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL

Green would be gorgeous! Of the choices shown, I like #3 and #4. In that order.

bolthead

Thanks everyone....

I'd Love to put a Green one on it, if I had one....it would look Awesome.

RBH, I wanted to go with a thinner ribbon, but whe I removed the old one, there was a lot of damage under there and the width I have won't cover it up. :eusa_doh:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I like #1 blue for some strange reason, but #2, the gold, could make it look a little less "squat". Skip the browns.

Yep, green could be very cool if you get the right kind of green...and maybe a narrower one.

- Bill

bolthead

Jimmy....

jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL
I got the Green grosgrain in today. This is what it would look like. I realize that a much thinner ribbon would look a whole lot nicer and better in proportion with the size of the crown, but there's just too much damage to the felt and this is the width I have to use to cover it up. Anyway, what do ya think?

Dobbs018.jpg
Dobbs019.jpg

I guess I should've tried to put it on a bit tighter for pics though, eh? [huh]

Vintage Betty

You're right, a thinner ribbon would look nicer. However, since there is damage you want to cover up, how about putting a contrasting thinner ribbon on top of the green ribbon and than adding some ribbon treatment? A bow, double bow, feather embellishment, etc?

Vintage Betty

bolthead

Vintage Betty said:
You're right, a thinner ribbon would look nicer. However, since there is damage you want to cover up, how about putting a contrasting thinner ribbon on top of the green ribbon and than adding some ribbon treatment? A bow, double bow, feather embellishment, etc?

Vintage Betty
Excellent idea, but I have no access to a sewing machine, nor would I know how to use one....:eusa_doh:

.....but that would look Awesome, as I already had thought of it for my Bianchi and it's Bow treatment. :D

Vintage Betty

bolthead said:
Excellent idea, but I have no access to a sewing machine, nor would I know how to use one....:eusa_doh:

.....but that would look Awesome, as I already had thought of it for my Bianchi and it's Bow treatment. :D

Nope, you don't need a sewing machine. Just place one ribbon on top of the other either centered or weighted toward the botton and than a couple of hand quick stiches.

Do you understand or do you need pics?

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80