Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I never got to ask "So how'd I do?" until now (now with photos! Help date my Knox?)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Knox in a Box!

At that price, how far wrong can you go?

Normally I am not fond of stingy brims, but I have
a Cavanagh a bit like that which I prize. Cavanagh
and Knox made some classy hats in every style. Unless there
are surprises on the inside of that hat, I suspect you'll
find it spends a lot of time on your head.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Nice grab...

I saw it and thought about bidding on it for resale, feeling it would sell for less than worth because of the poor description. And that's just what happened. I think it qualifies as a 'steal,' which is my favorate kind of hat purchase.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ayup

Snrbfshn said:
...I think it qualifies as a 'steal,' which is my favorate kind of hat purchase.

Yeah, what he said!
I think, too that you will like the Cavanagh (or overwelt, can't tell from here) edge. I find that it tends to help the brim stay where you put it more than a raw or bound brim, reinforces your "snap".
Good buy, hope to see it on ya' soon.

MattJH

One Too Many
I just did a few eBay searches and found that the Knox box itself, without a hat, sells for around $10 -- I didn't even think of that.

Can't wait to see the hat!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Looks like a nice hat, and that color is hard to find. If the brim width is to your taste, you are probably going to like that hat a LOT!

ClayBob

New in Town
I dropped a deal more than you for the same type of hat awhile back. The only difference is that mine is brown and a 7 1/2. I'd say you got a super deal :eusa_clap .

MattJH

One Too Many
Here are photographs of the hat. It's fantastic! Would anybody like to try to date it for me? The original pricetag, included below, shows $14.95. There are a few minor moth divots, but nothing that would ever catch the eye:

01-knox-box.jpg

02-knox-front.jpg

03-knox-left.jpg

04-knox-back.jpg

05-knox-right.jpg

06-knox-liner.jpg

07-knox-sweatband1.jpg

08-knox-tag.jpg

photobyalan

A-List Customer
It's a good thing for you that I don't look good in a short brim or you'd have had to pay a lot more for that lid.;)

I can't speak with any authority to the date, but the printing on the label makes me pretty sure it is earlier than the mid '60s. WeeGee would probably know, since he is a bit of a Knox collector. In fact, I'm surprised he didn't try for this one...

Barry

Practically Family
I picked up a Knox Cervo (which I have mentioned a few times) at the NYC Fedora Lounge get-together. The body of the hat including the edge looks almost identical to yours. I bought the hat at "Cheap" Jacks and paid considerably more than that. Mine had a brown sweat and different liner though. Both of those were replaced.

Actually - it's the one I'm wearing in my current avatar.

Barry

MattJH

One Too Many
Whatever it is, I love it. The felt is thick! The whole hat is very sturdy. The wide grossgrain looks nice on it, too, and the color is neat, for lack of a better word. I'm assuming, from the original tag, that the color is "ivy" -- it reminds me of a gray/olive hybrid. I'm very happy with it. And the original Knox box to boot!

Hopefully somebody with good Knox knowledge catches this thread and helps me out on what it may be and when it was made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred