Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

Whoever heard of "latchkey kids" or "helicopter parents" when I was a kid? No one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid

My mom worked first at school as a lunch lady so she could be home when I got home.

When I hit maybe 9 or 10 perhaps earlier I can't quite recall. I got a long talk from my dad and mom and handed a key to the house. My mom worked full time and I had to let myself out to go to school and let my self in after school. It was fairly common for this to happen. Because of taxes and expenses it took a second income to run the household and try to get a head. Lucky for me in spite of breaking every promise to my parents about people in the house when they weren't there, not making a mess, and not burning the house down to the ground. We survived and I survived. I did not burn the house to the ground but it wasn't for the lack of trying. (I had a fascination with the Bernzomatic propane torch my dad used for soldering pipes but nothing got out of hand -much.)

JimWagner

Practically Family
When I was a junior and a senior in high school (60's) I drove a school bus over about a 15 mile route down dirt roads. All the school bus drivers were students. I don't believe there were any school bus accidents in the county during that period. Today we have "adult" school bus drivers and hardly a week goes by that a school bus accident isn't reported. But I also have to say that I wouldn't trust today's high school students behind the wheel of a school bus for a second.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Yup.

Half the boys I grew up with (self included) would have been drugged to the gills with Ritalin and whatnot.

What do I really miss? I remember when boys (and kids in general) were allowed to BE boys. When you could ride your bike (no goofy helmet) down the street or all the way to the library or playground, hang out with other kids until after dark, and still get home without people freaking out.

We had rope swings over the quarry. Our playgrounds had monkey bars over solid ground. We drank from the garden hose. We climbed trees and made rickety tree houses. We played "bash the other guy". We laughed. We fought. We ran around. We played -- unsupervised -- with these and these and these.

I remember when kids were kids.

Whoever heard of "latchkey kids" or "helicopter parents" when I was a kid? No one.

Hear Hear! And all the boys over the age of 12 in my neighborhood carried a loaded shotgun or rifle all the time during hunting season. There was never any thought of pointing the weapon at another person. If we struck up a difference we put the guns down and settled it with fists, after which we were friends again.

I have eaten Sushi with real live Japanese people from Japan and they like it. I have my short list of what i like and things i don't like. The eel is not on my like list. The Salmon and the Tuna tends to be good. If you are at a good place and everything is fresh as it need to be then the fish actually tends to be more subtle in flavor and a clean flavor. It's usually the texture that bothers most.

That is something that I can understand as I hate the texture of Lima Beans can't stand them in 99% of the dishes they come in. (Except one time a friend made a pot of them in the style of baked beans and they were wondeful.) I don't like soybeans either. My dad liked the flavor of onions but hated to eat them either raw or sauteed because of the texture alone. I have a friend that won't eat raw carrots, cooked is ok but not raw.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you didn't buy it from a truck at the side of the road with a big sign saying HADDOCK CLAMS LOBSTERS HAKE SMELTS SHRIMP SCALLOPS MUSSLES -- CASH ONLY/FOOD STAMPS EXCEPTED, it ain't fresh.

I had sushi once. Once was enough.

rue

If you didn't buy it from a truck at the side of the road with a big sign saying HADDOCK CLAMS LOBSTERS HAKE SMELTS SHRIMP SCALLOPS MUSSLES -- CASH ONLY/FOOD STAMPS EXCEPTED, it ain't fresh.

I had sushi once. Once was enough.

I can't beat you on the fresh shellfish front Lizzie. You definitely win there :)

I remember fresh abalone..... haven't had it in over ten years.

On Long Island buying shellfish from a truck on the side of the road meant the guys had gotten it from the areas that were declared off limits by the water quality people. You could go to the Fish Monger, we had some great places and for some stuff you could go to the docks and buy from the guys when they came in.

B&B Fish and Clam in Amityville was pretty good and there were some places in Lindenhurst and Babylon that we like to buy from as well as eat there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL