Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember when a friends mother looked out her window, saw me sitting in my truck and told the guy; "who is that boy? Bring him in, I want to meet him. He's very clean cut. That is type of boy you should be hanging around with, he looks like he'd be a good influence on you".

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
^ I remember that too Tom.

I also remember when families ate dinner together. We are the only family I know (besides our friends that live next door) that still eat together every night, where we live. My daughter's friends call us "The TV Family", because it's the only place they've ever seen a family eating together and we're talking about at least ten different kids from many financial backgrounds. None of them know basic table manners either. I was very shocked when I first started hearing the name they were calling us, not insulted, just shocked.

Do you find this difficult to do (eat dinner together)?

My family always ate together (every meal), but my husbands family did not (his parents do not even eat dinner together now and they are empty nesters). Where I grew up everybody sat down and ate together- even at big sleepovers everybody sat and ate with the family.

We always ate together as a family, when I was a kid. Things have changed and that isn't so much the case anymore. My father's on first shift, running the store, my sister on second at K-Mart, my brother still in school, and my mom on third (The Wisconsin Cheeseman closed down, so she works with me now) and I'm on second shift and long since moved out.

We do, however, have a family meal every weekend when I come to visit.

Oh yes, I remember when EVERYONE worked at the Wisconsin Cheeseman, they shut down last week, 1949-2011. My mother was maintenance there for 13 years. She came to the plant with me a year ago and now we're seeing many Cheeseman employees making their way over to Portage from Sun Prairie to stay in the cheese game.

^ I remember that too Tom.

I also remember when families ate dinner together. We are the only family I know (besides our friends that live next door) that still eat together every night, where we live. My daughter's friends call us "The TV Family", because it's the only place they've ever seen a family eating together and we're talking about at least ten different kids from many financial backgrounds. None of them know basic table manners either. I was very shocked when I first started hearing the name they were calling us, not insulted, just shocked.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars

I know just what you mean. We sit down for breakfast and dinner every day and I'm considered fussy because I insist it's around a table and not in front of the TV. When I was growing up it was mandatory, God forbid I was ever late for dinner!

I remember when we used to visit my grandmother and there were so many grandchildren that we had to eat in sittings.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here in the NY area, there are more than plenty of places to get good sushi - if you like sushi.

My ex, and some friends had been eating it as far back as the '80s, but I wouldnt go near it, just based on what it was, or rather, what I thought it was. One day they finally got me to sit down and try it with them in a restaurant in Fresh Meadows where I was living at the time. They ordered a few pieces for me based on what my ex thought I would like. It arrived. I looked at it. It looked nice. I smelled it. There was virtually no smell, which, with fish of any type, is actually a good thing.

I was shown how to mix up the 'dipping' sauce, which is typically soy sauce with a touch of wasabe and ginger stirred in.

I put the first piece in my mouth and started chewing. Let me just say that I hadnt tasted anything that good, and that different, ever. I was told later that my eyes rolled up into my head just before I closed them, and I was just sitting there chewing more slowly than I ever had, to relish every second of flavor. We all had a great meal, and I have been eating it a couple/few times a month ever since.

Last edited:

rue

Do you find this difficult to do (eat dinner together)?

No. I'm a housewife so it's easy for me, but my neighbor friend has three jobs and four kids (all in sports) and is still able to get everyone to sit together at least 4 days a week. The other days she just makes something and they grab and go. When I look at her, I have a hard time understanding why more families can't eat a meal together even just once a week with at least with one parent present.

We always ate together as a family, when I was a kid. Things have changed and that isn't so much the case anymore. My father's on first shift, running the store, my sister on second at K-Mart, my brother still in school, and my mom on third (The Wisconsin Cheeseman closed down, so she works with me now) and I'm on second shift and long since moved out.

We do, however, have a family meal every weekend when I come to visit.

I love that tradition of gathering once a week with family when the kids move out. I hope mine do the same if they live nearby.

I know just what you mean. We sit down for breakfast and dinner every day and I'm considered fussy because I insist it's around a table and not in front of the TV. When I was growing up it was mandatory, God forbid I was ever late for dinner!

I remember when we used to visit my grandmother and there were so many grandchildren that we had to eat in sittings.

We only eat in front of the TV twice a year.... the Superbowl and the Oscars. That's it. Being late for dinner is never a good idea lol

Back on topic...

I remember what a big deal it was to finally be able to eat with the adults instead of at the kiddie table during Holidays.

Beverage cans with pull tabs! These things were great for stepping on and getting cut. Later when buried by the sands of time became the bane of the metal detecting crowd.

The other one - does anyone remember Coors cans having the 2 push button tabs?

I do recall when you needed a can opener.

At my parents house in the garage was a really old can the was designed to take an old style bottle cap.

Bottle caps with the cork seal?

It's nice, it really is. I live the next town over from my parents and hate even being that far away, we are a very close family. The house next door to my parents is up for sale right now, but alas I don't have a quarter million dollars laying around.

I remember when people put plastic on their furniture.

I love that tradition of gathering once a week with family when the kids move out. I hope mine do the same if they live nearby.

Someone listed non radial tires and that made me think of this: I recall when Steel belted tries were not really available or available much. Many people bought non steel belted tires. The belts or cords in these tires were usually some sort of nylon or rayon synthetic. When you drove the tire heated up and when you parked the tires cooled down with the belts getting stiffer when cool. So the bottom of the tire against the ground developed a flat spot. As you drove that flat spot made a thumping noise until the tire warmed up and the belts got softer again so the tire rounded out and rolled smoothly.

Modern tires I think are much safer. You see flats but not as many "blowouts" as in the past. A blowout was and is a frightening thing at highway speeds.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I remember when the meal following breakfast was called dinner, which was followed by supper. "Lunch" was used by your cousins from the city and your neighbor who was trying to be sophisticated.

Everybody here uses lunch. :( I like dinner better- more food!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL