Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

Aw, I try my best! I was shocked to find out that cars don't come with ashtrays or cigarette lighters anymore. Only as an option. I've never had a car that didn't have one, minus the 31 Model A my pa used to have.

You're a good son Tom :D

I remember when cars had ashtrays.

I miss that!
I remember when cars didn't look like ashtrays.:rolleyes::eusa_doh:

Me too. I had a 58, 60, and 63 Chevies. My dad had a 57 when I had my 58, both were matching color schemes. I got my 60 Bel-Air when I was 16 and always got a laugh out of taking the corners fast and having my brother and sister slide across the seat and thud into the door lol
I remember cars without seatbelts.

I still have thin-whites on my Station Wagon!
And white wall tires.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I remember when the meal following breakfast was called dinner, which was followed by supper. "Lunch" was used by your cousins from the city and your neighbor who was trying to be sophisticated.

Everybody here uses lunch. :( I like dinner better- more food!

Well, coming from the city, I've always referred to them as breakfast, lunch, and supper (although sometimes I'll call the latter "dinner").

I remember when the meal following breakfast was called dinner, which was followed by supper. "Lunch" was used by your cousins from the city and your neighbor who was trying to be sophisticated. Everybody here uses lunch. :( I like dinner better- more food!

In most places dinner and supper are interchangeable as the evening meal. Lunch tends to be the "roughly" noon time meal. The closest dinner is to lunch was on Sunday when a Sunday dinner might be served at about 3pm.

I think in Dracula there is the question about if someone has supped yet.

Pompidou

One Too Many
In most places dinner and supper are interchangeable as the evening meal. Lunch tends to be the "roughly" noon time meal. The closest dinner is to lunch was on Sunday when a Sunday dinner might be served at about 3pm.

I think in Dracula there is the question about if someone has supped yet.

With me, it was breakfast in the morning, lunch in the afternoon, sometimes, you'd replace both with a meal half way in between called brunch. Dinner and supper were interchangeable terms as John said. When I was in England, every meal was "tea", but I believe when forced to be more specific, they almost always used breakfast, lunch and supper. There was something else, about dessert, I think, that confused me as well, but I can't recall it. But yeah, Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner/supper, dessert. School used to have me thinking snack was a legitimate meal, always falling at the same time when brunch would normally fall, but sadly it wasn't so. Can never have too many meals.

EDIT: Just remembered my other confusion. A whole lot of things were called pudding as well. Maybe dinner was pudding. Maybe dessert. It was so long ago. Tea and pudding, which could be meals or could be menu items. That was it.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Actually, my 1997 Nissan Pickup came with the part where the lighter portion fits into but no removable lighter portion. The lighter is only an electrical port with a plastic pop out cover. i think the lighter portion was available as an accessory.

Must be a '90s thing. My '95 Saturn had the same setup. My '05 MINI , however, has both a lighter and ashtray.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember when the meal following breakfast was called dinner, which was followed by supper. "Lunch" was used by your cousins from the city and your neighbor who was trying to be sophisticated.

Same here. And you took your food to school in a dinner pail, not a lunch box. Only people in movies called the evening meal "dinner."

I never knew anyone who "dined," either. We just *ate.*

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
Well, coming from the city, I've always referred to them as breakfast, lunch, and supper (although sometimes I'll call the latter "dinner").

Growing up on a farm, the mid-day meal was fairly large, and served hot. Since Dad had been up working since before 6, this Dinner was a substantial meal after an already long work period. Then he went back out til it started to get dark, came home, and we all had Supper.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
In my family, dinner has always been the large meal of the day. If it is during the week when everyone works/is at school during the day, the evening meal is dinner. Sunday dinner (spaghetti) is around 1 or 2pm. Thanksgiving dinner around 3pm. Whatever the larger of the two meals is, that one is dinner. We never used the term supper though, because there is pretty much never an organized meal after dinner. It was pretty much fend for yourself after the family dinner, regardless of when it is.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Benny Hill was still on TV (not in reruns). ;0 I remember begging and pleading my parents to let me stay up late and watch the show. I was obsessed with Benny Hill. Ha ha.
X
BD

Benny Hill was really a funny guy. There was a program about him where they interviewed a lot of the old cast and one theme was that Benny Hill never forgot a joke, could recall from the vast comedic background just about instantly and was able to take and find the best way to do a gag.

Did he write all of his poems himself? Some of the poetry was the funniest bits on the show. Brilliant dry wit.

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Benny Hills was really a funny guy. There was a program about him where they interviewed a lot of the old cast and one theme was that Benny Hill never forgot a joke, could recall from the vast comedic background just about instantly and was able to take and find the best way to do a gag.

Did he write all of his poems himself? Some of the poetry was the funniest bits on the show. Brilliant dry wit.

Hi John,

Yes, the poems and songs were his own. It's amazing how he always remembered them; what a great memory his must have had. Apparently, some skits/ideas on the show were from other cast members though.

Best,
BD

Dan'l

Practically Family
I just watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for the first time over the weekend and was surprised to see Benny Hill! He was the toy maker and I just kept expecting him to do something or say something in line with his show. He played the part well which could mean he was a diverse actor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay