Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I tried on my first Real McCoy A2 today. How does it fit?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I dare say for someone truly agnostic about specific A-2 contract, the best option is in fact the A-2 style AAF version of the ANJ-3. Aero makes an amazing repro of it.

It has the classic A-2 look, but a far more usable pattern and excellent range of movement.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Not an A-2 guy myself, but I did inherit my late father's Cooper from his Air Force days and it very likely started me down this road of leather jacket madness. ;)

I really have not worn it out of the house much and it just preserves the good times memories with dad for me, but it does appear to be a very well made goat jacket.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
When I was looking at an A2 jacket, I've found that, most historic patterns, have narrower shoulders and almost straight torso. So it will either be too tight at the shoulder or bag out at the bottom.
We've gotta keep in mind that these war time jackets were developed long ago when there was no gym, and guys were more occupied with staying alive than playing or watching sports. Fashion sense was not even on the table.
At first I thought A2 jackets are like modern bombers. They are not. Not even close in fit.
Unless you're after historical accuracy, I don't think dropping huge money on A2 jackets makes good wardrobe sense. I will bet the flight jackets Tom Cruise wears has been tailored a few times by his personal costume person. We can't expect historical accurate patterns to fit like modern clothing.

Last edited:

Aloysius

When I was looking at an A2 jacket, I've found that, most historic patterns, have narrower shoulders and almost straight torso. So it will either be too tight at the shoulder or bag out at the bottom.
We've gotta keep in mind that these war time jackets were developed long ago when there was no gym, and guys were more occupied with staying alive than playing or watching sports. Fashion sense was not even on the table.

The average soldier or airman at that time was definitely quite small (Depression era generation). That said, the A-2’s simplicity was a bit unusual, even for the War. It was made as a light summer windbreaker, basically, and was basically hated by pilots because it was useless in most conditions. They were very pleased when it was superseded by the B-10 jacket with its cotton shell, fur collar, and wool lining.

In contrast, the US Navy jackets had an extremely flattering pattern, beefy goatskin, action back and underarm footballs, etc. So it’s not just a wartime vs peacetime thing. This is why I suggest an A-2 style ANJ-3 for those who want the A-2 look with a much more flattering and comfortable pattern.

At first I thought A2 jackets are like modern bombers. They are not. Not even close in fit.

Right, that modern jacket type descends from 1950s civilianized designs that were designed with comfort first and foremost. You see these still in jackets from older brands like Schott, that might even be called A-2 but are really a far more comfortable and substantial civilian jacket.

Unless you're after historical accuracy, I don't think dropping huge money on A2 jackets makes good wardrobe sense. I will bet the flight jackets Tom Cruise wears has been tailored a few times by his personal costume person. We can't expect historical accurate patterns to fit like modern clothing.

The G-1 jacket that he wears (you can buy it direct from the maker) actually is quite flattering by itself. It’s a descendant of the naval designs I mentioned above.

The average soldier or airman at that time was definitely quite small (Depression era generation). That said, the A-2’s simplicity was a bit unusual, even for the War. It was made as a light summer windbreaker, basically, and was basically hated by pilots because it was useless in most conditions. They were very pleased when it was superseded by the B-10 jacket with its cotton shell, fur collar, and wool lining.

In contrast, the US Navy jackets had an extremely flattering pattern, beefy goatskin, action back and underarm footballs, etc. So it’s not just a wartime vs peacetime thing. This is why I suggest an A-2 style ANJ-3 for those who want the A-2 look with a much more flattering and comfortable pattern.

Right, that modern jacket type descends from 1950s civilianized designs that were designed with comfort first and foremost. You see these still in jackets from older brands like Schott, that might even be called A-2 but are really a far more comfortable and substantial civilian jacket.

The G-1 jacket that he wears (you can buy it direct from the maker) actually is quite flattering by itself. It’s a descendant of the naval designs I mentioned above.
Yeah the back on the ANJ-3 is far more attractive for sure, full AB and false half belt.

Last edited:

bn1966

Go to the HPA website and look at Eastman’s A-2’s there. Charles measured up all the contracts they sell and gives the info on the site. I’m broad shouldered & chest so buy the contracts that were more generous in those areas. I did try the very tailored A-2 look which got compliments but was uncomfortable to live with and eventually sized up.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Jeez, tough crowd.

I think the OP jacket and fit look awesome. It's been worn for 3 minutes LOL. You can't expect it to drape, hug, and crease like something that was worn all day long in all kinds of crazy weather and doing military work in it where the jacket is getting a lot of movement.

The nature of the knits makes it blousy in the mid section because the knits tend to creep up and create that bulge. It's a hard jacket to nail the "instagram" fit like @Bfd70 mentioned. No gussets, the different contracts, the nature of the knits. You tend to have to sacrifice something for something.

On this 3sixteen/Schott collab I got last year, I'm mostly pretty happy with it, but you can see the difference on the fit on 1: zipped and I tugged it down just a second before taking the photo to minimize the blousing vs 2: unzipped and the knits are naturally riding up creating more blousing.

20220411_082936.jpg

20220411_082959.jpg

Jeez, tough crowd.

I think the OP jacket and fit look awesome. It's been worn for 3 minutes LOL. You can't expect it to drape, hug, and crease like something that was worn all day long in all kinds of crazy weather and doing military work in it where the jacket is getting a lot of movement.

The nature of the knits makes it blousy in the mid section because the knits tend to creep up and create that bulge. It's a hard jacket to nail the "instagram" fit like @Bfd70 mentioned. No gussets, the different contracts, the nature of the knits. You tend to have to sacrifice something for something.

On this 3sixteen/Schott collab I got last year, I'm mostly pretty happy with it, but you can see the difference on the fit on 1: zipped and I tugged it down just a second before taking the photo to minimize the blousing vs 2: unzipped and the knits are naturally riding up creating more blousing.

View attachment 448312

View attachment 448313
I don't think it's so much a tough crowd thing as the simple fact remains (and has always been) that a jacket like the A-2 is simply unflaterring. I understand that people who are very into military nostalgia love them. It's an exceedingly basic jacket and any jacket, shirt, or sweater that is bound at the wrists and waist will suffer the same fate the A-2 suffers. I know this is going to get people mad but to my eye, the A-2 takes you from this:
1662053839552.png

to this:
1662053880219.png

And it does this even if you aren't either of these physiques to begin with. And that is why I hate the A-2.

Rawky

One of the Regulars
Hey. It's all good. Admittedly, I didn't think this thread would go down this road. I thought I'd get a couple of comments on the fit and then I'd be on my way. But this is the most interaction a thread of mine has ever had... I'm one of the big guys now.

For clarification, the A2 was my first introduction to leather jackets. I was born in 81', so grew up through the decade of A2 style jackets appearing in movies and TV which instantly caught my attraction. Also, I watched The Saboteur as a kid and remember badly wanting Robert Cummings' jacket:

Saboteur42-MAIN1.jpg

I just always associated them with "cool, confident dudes". And I wanted to be a cool, confident dude too dammit!

But then Arnie came riding along in the early 90s and then my interest expanded to biker jackets too. But A2's have always been my main love. And I do want to mention that the members of TFL have introduced me to vast array of different leather jackets that I'm very keen to own. So thank you for inspiring me... and for making my bank cry.

I do have a question for those who have disdain for A2s. Do you feel the same about G1s?

Hey. It's all good. Admittedly, I didn't think this thread would go down this road. I thought I'd get a couple of comments on the fit and then I'd be on my way. But this is the most interaction a thread of mine has ever had... I'm one of the big guys now.

For clarification, the A2 was my first introduction to leather jackets. I was born in 81', so grew up through the decade of A2 style jackets appearing in movies and TV which instantly caught my attraction. Also, I watched The Saboteur as a kid and remember badly wanting Robert Cummings' jacket:

Saboteur42-MAIN1.jpg

I just always associated them with "cool, confident dudes". And I wanted to be a cool, confident dude too dammit!

But then Arnie came riding along in the early 90s and then my interest expanded to biker jackets too. But A2's have always been my main love. And I do want to mention that the members of TFL have introduced me to vast array of different leather jackets that I'm very keen to own. So thank you for inspiring me... and for making my bank cry.

I do have a question for those who have disdain for A2s. Do you feel the same about G1s?
I think the Anj-3 and the g-1 are cooler looking overall but any jacket, sweater, shirt bound by elastic at the waist and sleeve is not my cup o' tea. I don't like the muffin top creatd by the elastic waistband.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Well I sure recall the jacket Robert Cumming's wore. The vast majority of jackets I grew up wearing, through the 70's and 80's were bomber styles.

Now I prefer other styles personally. As to the fit, Rawky that orignial A2 your presented photos of looks good - perhaps a little large in the arms. By all means, if you like it, just go for it. Use the History Preservation Associate's site for some sizing info, however since you are based in UK, just order direct from one of thier suppliers. I think you should invest in a good one, far better than trying several ill-fitting or lower quality substitutes.

Aloysius

I'm not anti A-2. I just think this one isn't quite it.

OP, being in the UK, would be well served by going Eastman or Aero, both of which have a wide range of A-2 contracts that would suit him better.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
An A2 is a very tough fit. I've had three, and I've been able to get all three to fit by undersizing on all of them. I can zip them up and move around in them, but they are not the most comfortable jackets I have owned. IMO, it's really not easy to look cool in an A2 or look like you have an A2 that fits, whether it technically fits or not. I'm not even saying that I look great in my current A2. I have it because it matches my favorite boots and I just sort of like A2 jackets even though I know they never really fit right.

To me, the one you have looks OK, but definitely not great and I wouldn't pay RMC new pricing for it.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Average guy with an average body getting an average fit… nothing more /nothing less.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko