Shinki A-2 from RMC

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Solo, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Solo

Solo Familiar Face

I've unloaded most of my jackets made in steer and suede and decided to keep things simple with just a couple of nice HH jackets. I love Vicenza leather that Aero uses, but one that stands out for me in terms of character and uniqueness is the HH made by Shinki. So here's my Real McCoy A-2 in Shinki that's been aging quite nicely. I am a little surprised that it hasn't aged faster, as the dark paint is supposed to wear off to show the brown tea core. Sometimes, I've been tempted to distress the jacket with some sandpaper, and HWT, but decided to let the jacket take its course naturally. Shinki is similar in touch and weight to Vicenza, but there is something that is so unique about it that I can't quite put my finger on it. The smell, ruggedness, the sound, creases and subtle texture and shades of color in the finish, all make it one of the most unique jackets I've owned.

I love the simplicity of the A2 model, but my kids always tell me, "I don't like that brown fabric on your sleeve and the bottom. They make you look like an old man." :)

This particular A2 is not an accurate repro of any original contracts. It's RMC's interpretation of what a modern A2 should look like. Every RW contact I tried were quite more relaxed and roomy especially in the torso area, and this one is probably the most slim fitting A2s out there.

This jacket looks really trim on me, and, I have sometimes wished that it was a tad roomier on the shoulder and the chest especially when the zipper is closed. The RMC charges nearly $2100 for this puppy these days, and one could do much better by going custom with some of the more accurate repro manufacturers for much better price.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the fit as I am thinking a size larger may be a better fit for this style.

RMC-A2.jpg RMC-A2-2.jpg RMC-A2-3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

That is not only one of the best fit I’ve seen in an A2, but also one of the nicest A2 I’ve seen. If you’re not uncomfortable wearing it, congratulations, you’ve found a perfect jacket.

3. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

That's the fit i would want if i had an A2, unless it's uncomfortable i see no reason to change.

sweetfights and Solo like this.
  4. Solo

Solo Familiar Face

Thanks for the comments. The jacket wears very comfortable. It's only when I zip it up all the way that the shoulders get tight on me.

5. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Size up....no way.
    Outstanding jacket!
    B

sweetfights and Solo like this.
  6. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

I presume that it will probably relax with wear and feel less tight. Keeper for sure IMO.

Benny Holiday and Solo like this.
  7. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

That looks like a very nice jacket, beautiful leather and excellent fit. Keeper!

Solo likes this.
  8. kojax

kojax Practically Family

i think the jacket looks great on you what size is the jacket

Solo likes this.
  9. Solo

Solo Familiar Face

It is size 38, but fit slimmer than the typical 38. Most Japanese repros are that way.

10. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

Sizing up would be a mistake.
    This is your size.

Solo and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  11. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Size up. Sell that one to me at a fantastic discount.

Solo likes this.
  12. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

That made me smile! I like the fit too. especially those colored knits.

AbbaDatDeHat and Solo like this.
  13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Sometimes the best looking fit photos are the least comfortable jackets, and for over $2000 I'd want to be absolutely sure.

l0fielectronic, Solo and sweetfights like this.
  14. HighandDry

HighandDry A-List Customer

a2.jpg a2 zip.jpg a2 sf.jpg a2front.jpg

I was in the same boat as you. When I ordered my A2 from Goodwear, I told John I wanted a trim fit. However, I kind of thought that it was perhaps too trim. So, I ordered an A2 from Aero and got it a little roomier. I never liked the Aero, it just never fit right and was too blousy at the bottom. BTW, both were 38-1711-P contracts, supposedly the trimmest A2.
    I grew to really like the Goodwear fit and accept that it was going to be a little tight in the chest. I think if you sized up, it's going to be way too big at the bottom.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  15. Solo

Solo Familiar Face

This is very helpful. I have my measurements pretty nailed down when it comes to civilian jackets, but, think that A2s (or G-1) are the most difficult type to get the fit right. I agree, if I go up in size, even an inch on the chest, it will affect the fit of the torso area.

Your fit picture is great. This GW A2 has almost the same vibe as my RMC. Love the color of the the russet knit contrasting with dark seal. I know most A2 owners love russet color, but for me darkest seal was one of the must on the list. The tightness on the shoulder is felt only when I zip up the jacket. I personally do not like drooping shoulders that I see on ELC or Aero's A2 models, so to keep that square shoulder look, a bit of tightness is something I will have to accept.

This one is certainly a keeper, but perhaps I will add a little roomier A2 or G1 down the road. Really appreciate your personal experience.

sweetfights likes this.
  16. Will Zach

Will Zach One of the Regulars

I was just in the RMC store in Tokyo, and I believe the "waxy" finish is what makes Shinki so appealing to me. Great density, color and substance, but that finish - so pleasant to the touch.

Solo likes this.
  17. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

WOW! That looks absolutely brilliant. I understand if you don't feel comfortable in it, but from an aesthetic point of view, it looks like absolute perfection. This jacket on you avoids all of the negative pitfalls of A2 fits. IMO it looks incredible.

Solo, AbbaDatDeHat and Superfluous like this.
  18. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Body wise it is a great fit. Your discomfort after zipping up probably comes from the small armhole. Even a trimmed Aero or Eastman with say the same chest measurement as your RM will likely still has wider arm and armhole.

Solo likes this.
  19. HighandDry

HighandDry A-List Customer

I agree that the fit is really tricky in the A2. I think that the A2 is pretty boxy and when you have a 10" drop from chest to waist it's hard to have a flattering cut.

BTW, I love the look of your leather. The matte, dark seal is great!

Solo likes this.
  20. Solo

Solo Familiar Face

Your instagram and blog have some amazing photos. See that you had the same jacket. Love the FWs you have, but i must say the A2 you had looked fantastic.

dudewuttheheck likes this.