Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a cool cloth hat...any ideas

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I looked up some taupe colored things and found that it taupe is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen taupe from light tan to dark grey. Taupe means "mole" in French. Topo en espanol means mole...the moles around here are just like the mice around here....gray!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Old_Hat said:
From the emoticon used (rolling eyes), I'm pretty sure Sharpetoys was not serious; he seems to have been satirizing my concern about color.

I'm very sorry I meant to use the happy face. No disrespect intended. I do like the light shade of taupe!
Best regards,

Roger :)

Canadave

One Too Many
This is kind of weird, because as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought a TH5 a few weeks ago that is neither of the colours shown on their site. It's an olive/brown, more olive than brown.

David

Michaelson

One Too Many
I just received a Driza-bone heavy weight cotton, and though it's a nice fit, the brim is HUGE! My wife said if I had a nice cape and scarf, I'd look just like the Shadow! :rolleyes: Well made, though, and will work nicely when I'm doing my grass cutting this summer, but wow! It wasn't quite what I expected.
Regards. Michaelson

BreinederIndy

New in Town
real life Indiana Jones hat wanted (it's about crushable canvas hats, realy)

I am posting extremly seldome here although I bump into this site more or less frequently, doing some reading and enjoying all the nice vintage stuff in here. I originaly came from the Indy gear hobby. Wearing a Indy style hat for more than half my life, something very strange seems to happen right now.

Late but not too late, I am about to start studying archaeology this fall. Wearing mainly an Indiana Jones Fedora for many outdooradventures from the arctic cyrcle to south africa and also just for casual use in town, I realized that the Indiana Jones Fedora (right now it's an early Adventurebuilt) is just not the right hat for me as it allways looks a bit too huge on me. Besides that, I really need to put it away frequently when I am just not comfortable wearing it.
Also, I mainly need it for sunprotection- when it sarts to rain I wear my hooded rain jacket, in which case I just want to stuff my hat away into my backpack, MKVII or my leg pocket.
Now I am hitting the university at the age of 30 as a complete newby. I am certainly not giving up wearing hats but I don't want to show up there with the Indiana-Jones-in-your-face! look.

So what I am looking for is a proper, crushable cloth hat which does look a bit Indy but maybe a bit lower in the crown. Brim should be 2 1/4" to 2 1/2", colour something olive green, beige, brown or dark khaki. should somewhat matches the Indy MKVII bag in style, maybe even the fabric
I started with the Filson Packer which unfortunaly does not breath at all, even after washing out the oil a bit. Great hat, but I guess I am going to die with it in hot summer days. Also, the bronze colour Stetson AVA has my atention at the moment.

So, for all you outdoor/Safari/archaeologists/scoutleaders/guys who love fancy hats, please do hit me with suggestions!

.. and loads of action shots of course :)

BreinederIndy

New in Town
unfortunally the tilleys are not really what I have in mind, though the R11 Raffia Fedora would be a very nice summer town and holiday hat, but not the allround hat I am looking for.
Also, I don't like mesh-hybrid hats, so to say

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Outback Trading Company has some nice looking oilskin hats, but the brims might be a bit more than you're looking for. I don't know how wide spread it actually is in the field, but of the archeologists I've seen that tend to be on TV, they wear felt hats. Usually wide brimmed outback/western styles.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like you actually need a newsboy cap and just don't know it yet.

-Crushable and small enough to stuff in a pocket
-comes in lightweight fabric (linen, cotton, silk blend....or warm tweed. your choice)
-looks vintage and not dorky

But if you insist on a brimmed hat try these threads. Some mentioned rollable Panama hats. How about that?
which hat on a trip to Egypt?
Need a summer hat that's flexible
Warm weather travel hat?

BreinederIndy

New in Town
oilskin hats do tend to breath not at all, which is a complete no-go for my use unfortunaly (though I like the look and feel of them quit a lot)

I was thinking of getting myself a newsbiy cap or similar for town, but when I am out in the fields, I really do want to wear a hat.

Maybe I just need to look out for a nice cotton vintage one on ebay? [huh]

1961MJS

oilskin hats do tend to breath not at all, which is a complete no-go for my use unfortunaly (though I like the look and feel of them quit a lot)

I was thinking of getting myself a newsbiy cap or similar for town, but when I am out in the fields, I really do want to wear a hat.

Hi

If you want a "cool" temperature hat, then a panama is probably the way to go. Cloth hats that are worth having are (in my opinion) hard to come by. +500 on the oil coated hats. Sweat my brains out at Summer camp back in 1998 wearing one. I through it out when I got home.

Just my $0.02

Rick Blaine

The above may look like, but is not, oilskin It is a cotton/poly blend. Sort of a canvas material. Cheap. Not especially light or breathable, the dark color may be a poor choice for full sun too.
The brim is wired, I've only had it for a few weeks. So far so good.

I would also endorse Tilly. They are great. What they do, they do very well.
Or just set out with half a dozen cheapies and here, and roll.
You can find these cheaper than that, if you look around.

Last edited:

HoustonVeer

New in Town
You can not go wrong with a Tilley.
http://www.tilley.com/canada_en/
My favorite
http://www.tilley.com/us_en/tm10-cotton-mesh.html
Buy bigger than you think, read the sizing guide
Richard

Thank you ingineer, as well as johnj, jkingrph, Simon82, Rodkins, Esov and MattJH for recommending the TM10.

I originally ordered a LTM8 but it was too small. Upon further investigation, I discovered the TM10 has a teardrop crown and keeps it shape better than the LTM8. So I ordered the TM10 one size larger.

The hat arrived today and is just what I wanted: a semi-stylish hot/wet weather hat for outdoor activities when my Panama Bob hat might get ruined in the rain.

I also have an Akubra Capricorn coming that will fill a similar weather role when more style is required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy