Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stitching in a cloth sweat band

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Both of my fedoras are modern and have nasty leather sweatbands which feel more like plastic. My skin gets clammy when any sort of leather is in direct contact with my skin (I'm alright with shoes and jackets as there's a layer of cloth between the leather and my skin). I can't even carry my briefcase without getting a sweaty hand. Bottom line is, leather on skin is not an option for me. Therefore the ideal solution for me would be to remove the leather sweatband and sew in a cloth one. I know many people prefer leather (I read three or four threads comparing the two just now) but I think cloth a better choice for me.

However, where does one find suitable cotton? Can I just cut up an old cotton T-shirt or will it not be strong enough to use? As for the stitching, can it simply be stitched on or is there some complicated way of doing so? I'm only wondering if I'll be able to do it myself or if I'll need to send it to a tailor. Sending it to a professional hat shop is not an option for me at the moment for financial reasons and because I want this done within one day so the hat will be wearable the next morning.

Pater Familias

Familiar Face
avedwards said:
However, where does one find suitable cotton? Can I just cut up an old cotton T-shirt or will it not be strong enough to use? As for the stitching, can it simply be stitched on or is there some complicated way of doing so? I'm only wondering if I'll be able to do it myself or if I'll need to send it to a tailor. Sending it to a professional hat shop is not an option for me at the moment for financial reasons and because I want this done within one day so the hat will be wearable the next morning.

I used a modern synthetic type chamois once under my ball cap when working outside in 90+ degrees and 85% RH. Worked great to keep sweat out of my eyes. Started wearing it under my straw grasscutting hat also.

No clue about how to a sweatband made for a fedora out of one though.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Pater Familias said:
I used a modern synthetic type chamois once under my ball cap when working outside in 90+ degrees and 85% RH. Worked great to keep sweat out of my eyes. Started wearing it under my straw grasscutting hat also.

No clue about how to a sweatband made for a fedora out of one though.
I'd prefer to have a permanent cloth sweatband as seen on some fedoras, since it's not just summer but any time of year that I get warm under my hat. I have a few wool felt hats which I wore before I switched to fur felt, so perhaps I'll butcher one of those for the sweatband and ribbon (should I ever want a spare one).

clothe sweats

IMO, it should be a real sweatband, not just a cut up shirt. I've used a piece of cloth ribbon before with very limited success, it went in ok, but the hat has stretched over time and doesn't retain it's shape as well.

you can try this:

http://www.hatsupply.com/sweatband.htm

never bought from this place, but they have a decent reputation around these parts, not sure if it's what you're lookin' for...

cptjeff

Practically Family
You would want a real sweatband, not just a cut up shirt. If you absolutely need it fast, cut the sweat out of an old baseball cap. If you don't have one, go to the local goodwill. Fitted in your size would obviously be best, but if you cant fine one just don't go all the way around the back, or get two old ballcaps and make a franken sweat.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I've decided to go the route of butchering up an old wool felt hat. It's in such bad condition (the felt of the hat, not the sweatband) that it doesn't matter anyway. That way I'll get a proper cotton sweatband.

majormoore

Vendor
I have a roll of the black cloth sweatband material send me a PM and I can offer you some .

Major Moore

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the offer Major, but as it is I'm half way through stitching in the sweatband from my woolfelt hat. However, I have a problem. :(

It looks as though the sweatband will be a bit too short, only about 1/4" or so. Should I just cut it at the end and have a short section with no sweatband at the back?

rickw12

New in Town
This post is about a Caffley hat, not a fedora, but the experience of users here would be valuable.

I bought a Country Gentleman hat from an antique mall for $20. The sweatband is elastic, and it's showing a lot of use. The elastic is stretched out and folded in some places across the forehead, and it irritates my skin. I did clean it well before using it. I can buy a new one of these hats for probably $25, but I like fixing things. I can cut out that section of the elastic and replace it with elastic or something else. I'm not going to spend much money on it. How does elastic generally do as sweatbands? Do a lot of people have trouble with it irritating skin? Leather would likely be better, but I'd have to sew it in by hand. I thought about maybe putting another material on top of the old elastic.

This is a bit of fun and a new experience, so I don't want to waste a lot of time or spend more money than it's worth. Apart from the sweatband, the hat is in great condition.

Opinions, please?

I would replace it with a fabric sweat band. You can buy them from millinery supply shops for a few $$. Easy enough to tack stitch it in. They are cotton and softer than an elastic one and do not irritate like elastic.
This post is about a Caffley hat, not a fedora, but the experience of users here would be valuable.

I bought a Country Gentleman hat from an antique mall for $20. The sweatband is elastic, and it's showing a lot of use. The elastic is stretched out and folded in some places across the forehead, and it irritates my skin. I did clean it well before using it. I can buy a new one of these hats for probably $25, but I like fixing things. I can cut out that section of the elastic and replace it with elastic or something else. I'm not going to spend much money on it. How does elastic generally do as sweatbands? Do a lot of people have trouble with it irritating skin? Leather would likely be better, but I'd have to sew it in by hand. I thought about maybe putting another material on top of the old elastic.

This is a bit of fun and a new experience, so I don't want to waste a lot of time or spend more money than it's worth. Apart from the sweatband, the hat is in great condition.

Opinions, please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters