Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Want to Make a Filson Style Bush Hat

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.filson.com/products/tin-...Product=mens/hats-and-caps&fmetaProduct=1011/

60035-main-242.jpg

I would like it to look like the above. What I need to know is how much fabric I would need to make a hat with a 3 inch brim measuring 24 inches around my noggin.

Also, does anyone know of a pattern that Can be found online or in store to aid me?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
You'll need at least 4 square foot ( 6 sq ft will allow you a few errors)of 16oz cotton oilskin/tincloth fabric & I strongly advise you to make patrons in cardboard or thick paper first before cutting into the actual material.
Will you be sewing by hand or machine ?

I make similar bush hats in leather & I have made a rather mediocre tutorial on another forum which I will be glad to send you the link to but the only problem is, the attachment of the crown to the brim is done differently in canvas hats. I have made a few canvas hats too & I can show you how I attach the brim & crown if you're interested.
If you have an old Filson's hat knocking around that you could take apart & use as a pattern, that would be ideal.:)

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
A hat like that has got to be sewn by machine.

You might be able to find a pattern for a bucket hat and modify that. Or find a similar hat and make a pattern from it. These kind of hats are pretty abundant, you sure you can't find one? Or perhaps you like the challenge of making it yourself? I think I'd make it from cotton duck and then treat it with whatever oil they use on such things.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A hat like that has got to be sewn by machine.

You might be able to find a pattern for a bucket hat and modify that. Or find a similar hat and make a pattern from it. These kind of hats are pretty abundant, you sure you can't find one? Or perhaps you like the challenge of making it yourself? I think I'd make it from cotton duck and then treat it with whatever oil they use on such things.

I would prefer the challenge of making it myself. I would take apart an old Filson bush hat that I have but I might be giving that to my nephew as a gift. I'm going to be using a urethane-coated Cordura in a camouflage pattern that I like.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

tommyK

One Too Many
On a fabric hat like this I think this is all very do-able. I've successfully made patterns from a garment without taking it apart.

Might want to try your first one with some cheap fabric from any local craft/sewing shop to help you refine the process and pattern before you commit to a more expensive fabric. Show us how it turns out. If it's like my sewing efforts, it might take 1 or 2 (or 5) tries to get it perfect but you'll learn something from each.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I've dabbled a bit in 1OOOD cordura in both DPM & Flecktarn (both P.U. backed) & I have to tell you it isn't an ideal material for a hat.
It will be hot & sweaty & you will get condensation building up on the inside even with ventilation eyelets & if you're looking for it to be rainproof you may be disappointed as although the fabric will hold the rain off for a while, it will eventually start seeping through & water will flood in through any stitch holes, even if you've used a small needle. It's pretty floppy stuff too especially for the brim so you may have to use something semi rigid between two layers of cordura. You'll do as you please of course & maybe you like plastic hats but I just thought I'd give you the benefit of my experience. :D

As for attaching the sweatband, either stitch it in the same time as you sew on the crown to the brim or sew it in after you've assembled the hat & use the same stitch holes around the inner brim that attach the crown.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you're thinking more along boonie lines.
Check out the Tilley Multicam LT3C hats, may give you some ideas.

I've sent you the link to the tutorial as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy