Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What' the Scoop on (Filson's) Wool Vests?

pak

One of the Regulars
I have quite a bit of Filson wool. I also have some wool from Ibex and I can highly recommend this wool. I have a couple of vests and a sweater. The boiled wool vest is especially nice.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I have quite a bit of Filson wool. I also have some wool from Ibex and I can highly recommend this wool. I have a couple of vests and a sweater. The boiled wool vest is especially nice.

Oh yes, Ibex.
I've worn quite a few of their bicycling jerseys throughout the years.
Nothing like Merino Wool to keep you dry and stink free.
Plus, it lasts a long time considering all the falls I take on the trails.
I also have one of their boiled wool jackets.
Definitely not the same toughness of Filson's wool, but a beautiful piece that keeps me super warm.
It's more suited for action as it has 2 huge vents for when you get warm.
Lenny

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Filson's 24 oz. Mackinaw wool button vests are perfect for layering inside leather jackets for additional warmth on cold days. The problem with wool sweaters is pushing bulky arms through jacket sleeves - not a problem with vests. I agree that vests are best collarless in this situation.

I suspect that the Mackinaw wool used by Filson might be imported fro Scotland, which is ironic since Filson products "are so difficult to get hold of in the UK."

I'm pretty sure that Filson get's their wool from Bemidji woolen mills. Bemidji makes their own vests, some even heavier than Filson for the same money. Check em out: http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/category.php?search=Menswear|Womens|Children&min=0&more=y

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
A frind of mine gave me a Filson Vest last year. Here I am trying it on for the first time. Yeah, it still has its tags and yeah, I look like Minnie Pearl. I like to wear it with a canvas field jacket and jeans, but I reckon it doesn't look too bad with a tie, either.

0316120837.jpg

AF

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Quote Originally Posted by philosophy101 View Post
First, Filson garments are cut very generously, so consider going one size down. For example, my chest measures 40" but I ended up purchasing Filson's size S and it's plenty big enough.

Interesting, the exact opposite is true for my vest.
Lenny

I'm curious about this and am interested in other people's experience. What year was your vest made Lenny? I bought a Filson vest in the early 90's in high school and it was very trim fitting. I went from wearing a 42R to 46R and haven't been able to find anything in their line that I like the fit of any more. I have an 8" drop with a 45-46" chest so I'm not a super difficult fit. I have an older shelter cloth Packer jacket that is 6" smaller in the waist than the current version in a similar pit-to-pit measurement since they went from inch sizing to S-M-L-etc.... I sold the vest years ago so I can't compare to recent vintage but I feel the cuts across Filson's entire line have changed to be more generous.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I inquired about a year ago regarding their Western Vest which comes in S,M,L rather than the chest sizes available with the Classic Vest. Here are the measurements I got from Filson:

SPECS S M L XL XXL

CHEST 39 ½ 42 ½ 45 ½ 48 ½ 51 ½
BACK 22 22 ¾ 23 ½ 24 ¼ 25
ARMHOLE 24 24 ¾ 25 ½ 26 ¼ 27

majormajor

One Too Many
Gotta admit, here in England, I've never seen one.

The Western one looks V cool (but not for under jackets - on its own). Might just purchase one:D

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have both styles of Filson vest-for real warmth, I prefer the "liner" one-I like a vest that comes up high on the neck.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is how my Filson western vest looks. I use it in place of a jacket and with a heavier long sleeve shirt I'm good down to around 30 F. If it's colder than that I can throw a jacket on top of it. It's lightweight and doesn't restrict arm movement. I picked it up here off a lounger. I don't think I would have purchased it at full price but after having it I'd definitely be on the lookout for another if I ever lost this one.

IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have four of the Filson vests: one brown moleskin zip up liner that I use with my Filson Weekender jacket; one navy blue button up moleskin; one brown and one charcoal 24 oz. Mackinaw button up vests. The latter the three vests can be worn with slacks/tie/sports coat to work on cold days. All of the vests can be worn with jeans and layered under my Highwayman on cold days. I am sold on Filson products. I wish that my UK brethren could be introduced to Filson but fear that shipping, duty, and VAT might make them too expensive.

majormajor

One Too Many
I wish that my UK brethren could be introduced to Filson but fear that shipping, duty, and VAT might make them too expensive.

I think you could be right Fanch. Their international shipping costs are stupidly expensive.

A Western Vest is priced at $145, but the shipping would be $130 on top. That is very excessive for such a small, light parcel. I have shipped solid bodied guitars weighing 10 times as much (and with a value 15 times as much) for under $100, including insurance.

UK duty and tax would be around $70, so a grand total of $345 - around £215, for an item that starts out at £90.

Filson, I guess, are not interested in international orders:eeek::eusa_doh:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I wear a charcoal gray Filson 24oz. wool mackinaw vest under my LW A-2 on cold days and it keeps me warm and fits under the waist length cut of an A-2. The extra pockets on the chest make it very practical for work; it's an ideal layering garment.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch: What is the warmest Filson vest you have that is thin enough to be worn under a MC jacket?

Peacoat, the 24 oz. Mackinaw vest is relatively thin but very warm. I find that it takes up relatively very little space inside my HWM jacket. The nice thing about the 24 oz. Mackinaw vest is that it is sized 38, 42, 44, etc. rather than S,M,L, XL so that one can fine tune for a more or less perfect snug fit in order to retain body warmth. The same thing also applies to the button moleskin vests as well. I have a 43" chest and normally wear a 44 (long) jacket but wear a 42 in Filson vests. I suspect that the same would apply to you too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think you could be right Fanch. Their international shipping costs are stupidly expensive.

A Western Vest is priced at $145, but the shipping would be $130 on top. That is very excessive for such a small, light parcel. I have shipped solid bodied guitars weighing 10 times as much (and with a value 15 times as much) for under $100, including insurance.

UK duty and tax would be around $70, so a grand total of $345 - around £215, for an item that starts out at £90.

Filson, I guess, are not interested in international orders:eeek::eusa_doh:

Major, I rest my case.;) Spending £215, for an item that starts out at £90 makes no sense. However, should you visit one of the US cities that has a Filson store that stocks Filson vests, such as the Filson superstore in Seattle, you could probably P/U one for cash and simply wear it out of the store.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks, guys. I have a charcoal 24 Oz. Mackinaw on order. I went down to a 40 for a trim fit. I have found if I order a 42 vest (or large) , there is more room than I need, and plent of room for cold air to find its way in. Also, a size down fits better under the MC jacket.

IXL

One Too Many
I usually wear a size 42 in jackets but the Filson Mackinaw vests fit very well in size 40. Another very good vest, particularly if one desires windproof neck coverage and a wind flap, is a Patagonia Classic Retro-X vest. On colder rides, I find the turned-up collar of the X, blocking all the wind from the top of the jacket up to my chin, greatly increases my comfort level...but I'm a wuss.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy