Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What' the Scoop on (Filson's) Wool Vests?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I recently learned of Filson here and am intrigued with these vests as a base layer under a leather jacket (especially on a bike). I don't have a problem with a Patagonia/Polartec style fleece vest and a fellow FL'er suggested a Patagonia down base layer. I'm just curious about these vests. I generally like old school and natural fibers (a.k.a. living in the past). Obviously these vests don't close as high as the more moderns stuff so you're talking muffler or something. Other than that, is there anything, other than sheer style, that recommends the kinds of vests pictured.

mac.jpg

http://www.filson.com/products/mack...lsProduct=mens/vests-liners&fmetaProduct=1011

filson.jpg

http://www.filson.com/products/mack...lsProduct=mens/vests-liners&fmetaProduct=1011

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I swear by Filson products and especially their 24 oz. Mackinaw vest. Your bottom picture shows the Filson zip in liner for their jackets designed to accept a zip in liner. For a vest layered under a leather jacket when riding, I would go with the top picture vest with buttons.

Ishmael

Practically Family
They're attractive, that's for sure. And I've heard they're quite warm. I particularly like the western version, but maybe not under a leather jacket.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
I've got a Mackinaw and am wearing it regularly in this cold weather now.
What I really like about it is that because it's a vest you can still wear it with a 'normal' jacket and still have room to maneuver vs. wearing a wool sweater in which the sleeves can get tight.

For instance almostnice was wearing one under his MF Faro sack coat recently on a How it's worn pic at denimbros.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I've got a black and grey Mackinaw that I love.
Quality is awesome as you'd expect from Filson.
I like that it's thin as I also wear it under my leather jacket when riding on colder days.
My only comment is that my med is a little tight on me.
Lenny

thor

One Too Many
The extra chest pockets on the Filson button-down vest are a nice touch. Very convenient for pens, mag-light, whatever. A very warm vest that is well made and perfect to wear under a waist-length leather jacket. I have one in charcoal gray and love it.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I have the western vest and agree its great, it works better under some jackets than others as the collar can be a little bulky under some jackets. That said it does pop up and stay stood up and so is great worn up under jackets with low collars. Have a Patagoinia sleeveless down vest too, that is certainly a little warmer but generally the Filson gets more wear.

Do like their products its just a shame they are so difficult to get hold of here in the UK.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Filson's 24 oz. Mackinaw wool button vests are perfect for layering inside leather jackets for additional warmth on cold days. The problem with wool sweaters is pushing bulky arms through jacket sleeves - not a problem with vests. I agree that vests are best collarless in this situation.

I suspect that the Mackinaw wool used by Filson might be imported fro Scotland, which is ironic since Filson products "are so difficult to get hold of in the UK."

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a Filson Mackinaw jacket (the single version) and it is my favorite jacket - even better than my leather jackets. I really want one of their western vests, but I do wish it came in chest sizes (like the Mackinaw vest) rather than S,M,L, etc.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
The Filson vests are great for layering because they're very warm yet much less bulky than a down vest.

I've got a Filson western-style Mackinaw vest that I layer beneath my Johnson Leathers M-8002 hip-length car coat. It works very well for that, even though the vest has a collar. (I also use it layered beneath my Filson Mackinaw Cruiser, and sometimes even beneath a cashmere sport jacket.)

A couple of things to note regarding layering beneath a leather riding jacket:

First, Filson garments are cut very generously, so consider going one size down. For example, my chest measures 40" but I ended up purchasing Filson's size S and it's plenty big enough.

Second, the Filson western style vest (which you may not be considering anyhow) is too long for me to layer beneath my Schott Perfecto MC jacket. It sticks out akwardly at the bottom. I think the other Filson vests are cut straight across the bottom, so maybe would work better with a short jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My size 42 Filson Mackinaw vest is about ~22" pit to pit and barely covers my belt. It is a perfect for layering underneath my new HWN that is ~2" below my belt.

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
You can't go wrong with Filson products. I have the vest pictured on top, in charcoal and it is a go to item when the weather starts getting chilly. Very versitile. I layer mine with my leather jacket, and it makes for a very comfortable and warm setup. I find myself wanting to get more of them in different colors.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You can't go wrong with Filson products. I have the vest pictured on top, in charcoal and it is a go to item when the weather starts getting chilly. Very versitile. I layer mine with my leather jacket, and it makes for a very comfortable and warm setup. I find myself wanting to get more of them in different colors.

Finding more Filson vests in different colors is my plan too. Even the Mackinaw wool vest sits flat against one's body and doesn't take up nearly much space as a goose down vest does. Their moleskin vest even less space.

IXL

One Too Many
I have several Filson vests, in both styles, plus one in moleskin. They are very warm and the Mackinaw style fits well under just about any jacket. I live in them during the winter. But, if I'm riding and it's pretty cold out, I still use the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket, the arms of which will easily fit into any of my jackets without undue binding and my arms stay warmer.
My Filson full-sleeve jacket liners, while plenty warm, are just too bulky to fit into my leather jackets although they are great when inserted into the Filson jackets.
I can only wear the western style vests with a collared shirt, otherwise the high collar of the vest sometimes causes a bit of irritation (I'm sensitive, you know). This is never a problem with the Mackinaw style.
John, you might as well get a couple now. You know you will have them at some point!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21