Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Want to buy a Classic Gray Fedora .. Like a Stetson Packard Teardrop

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Hi all

I posted this request on another forum also for ideas.

I am looking for a Gray 1920's to 1940's style Classic Fedora 7 3/8 to 7 1/2" size.

The style I think I want... as I am new to Classic Fedoras looks like a Stetson Packard which but Gray or even blue would work.

Thanks!

Machine Ager

carldelo

One Too Many
The style I think I want... as I am new to Classic Fedoras looks like a Stetson Packard which but Gray or even blue would work.

Machine Ager

The Stetson Packard shares its shape with many other modern production Stetsons, which come in various trim offerings. All of the following have the same crown shape (profile 10 teardrop) and brim width (2-3/8"). Royal quality is the entry level felt, Sovereign is noticeably nicer. Caribou gray is a versatile medium gray color, graphite is a very dark gray - I haven't seen anything in blue.

Stetson Chatham - Sovereign quality, unbound brim
Bencraft Stetson Chatham - same as above with 2-3/4" brim
Stetson Downs - Royal quality, unbound brim
Stetson Whippet (the new one, not the old classic) - Sovereign quality, bound brim
Stetson Brewster - Sovereign quality, silk finish, bound brim (tan only)
Stetson Hampton - Sovereign quality, silk finish, bound brim (discontinued, still available in a couple of places)
Stetson Ashland (also a Bencraft offering) - Royal quality, underwelt brim (slightly smaller at 2-1/4")

There are some fur felt/wool blend hats of the same shape (Lodi, and a couple more, I think).
I have a Chatham, 2 Ashlands and a Hampton. All are nice, silk-finish Sovereign felt is very luxurious.
The above are all modern production hats, which you seem to be after - or are you looking for vintage?

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Hi Carl

Thanks for the info.

I would much prefer a vintage hat.

I saw a Mallory Eight Fifty Snappy Fedora just now on ebay which looks great alas it is a 7 1/8th and I am 7 3/8ths so not sure it would work....

Machine Ager AKA Randall

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Ok I found a hat while on a vacation to New Orleans it is a Steel colored 21/8th brim Dobbs Fedora I love and got a great deal at 60.00 it is a Glencove center dent

Not a bad start to my collection!

Thanks for all the ideas!

Machine Ager

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Yeah still want to find a Mallory but this gets me a dress Fedora to start with. My other Fedora Is an Indy Jones brown so far less dressy.

Nope no way a 7 would fit :)

Machine Ager

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Go to the top of this page and click on the FAQ. Then click Reading and Posting Messages. Go down and click Attachments and Images. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters