Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to Buy a Waistcoat; where to look in Melbourne?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I tried looking for Capts. of Industry. I went down Lt. Bourke Street and into the first alley on the left (after turning off Elizabeth St) and I saw the sign on the left side of the alley; "Captains of Industry".

I had a quick peek inside but, and I hope you'll pardon me for saying this, the place looks a bit...grungy. Unless I peeked into the wrong doorway. One stairway going up, another going down. I wandered in but suddenly decided I wasn't in the right place and wandered out again.

I'll say this much, though. The ladies at Anton's are very cheerful and helpful, and their range looks quite extensive.

God help me. I may go back there to buy a hat. I've been after one for winter wear (the grey trilly you see me wearing in the other shot is kinda like my 'summer' hat, but I wear that whenever I go out nowadays, regardless of the weather).

alden405

A-List Customer
next time go up,the down stairs go to the kitchen of a juice bar on Elizabeth St

Captains can be reached on 03 9643 5013

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I did go up, right up to the top. Had a peek in. Looked rather empty. So I headed off again. Next time I'm in the city I'll have another look, perhaps.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha!!

I'm only a student, Binkie. I don't have an inexhaustable amount of cash on me. If I did, I would have an entire suit (or four) measured up for me, but as I don't, I'm content with the waistcoat that I have.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Shangas said:
In the words of Charles Montegomery Burns:

"We did a dozen takes, and that was STILL the best one..."

coat.jpg

I never realised how filthy my brother's mirror was until now.

The pockets at the waist are rather shallow. Deep enough to hold a watch, but not much else. But that's all I'd put in there, anyway.

"You do look delighted! and the weskit does show off the watch chain, perfectly, and Oooh Spectator Socks!"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Here's a better photo, Binkie...

coat1.jpg

And me checking the time...

coat2.jpg

...which was 11:30pm.

The watch, chain and vest-pocket fountain pen (yes, that's what that gold thing is), are the same ones as in my avatar. The vest-pocket pen is the one on the top, in my avatar. The watch is my Ball RR watch.

PhantomKnight

New in Town
Amazing waistcoat!

In Melbourne it is difficult to find cool enough weather to justify wearing a suit. Even my summer suit makes me sweat to no end during winter!

I never thought of trying just a waistcoat! Although i have been intrigued by the look of you in yours. It reminds me of Patrick Jane out of the Mentalist (Played by Simon Baker, also an Australian). Although i think he is wearing a suit vest without the rest of the suit!

the-mentalist-red-johns-friends.jpg

I was thinking of also trying an argyle sweater vest but i cannot find places with a large range of them. As you seem to really love the waistcoat, any ideas of where to find argyle sweater vests? Doesn't have to be vintage! They all have a similar design anyway!

Keep up the young-man vintage in Melbourne!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi PhantomKnight,

I beg to differ. At night, Melbourne's temperature can drop to freezing in wintertime and a three-piece suit would be a godsend. Just because we're the second driest continent on earth doesn't mean that we don't also have winter!!

I admit that watching The Mentalist (which I consider an excellent TV show) did somewhat spur me on into trying to find a waistcoat. I saw Baker wearing them in almost every episode and I kept thinking:

DAMN IT! I WANT ONE!!!

But I hadn't worn one in years and I had no idea where to start looking to buy one. Until I started asking here.

If you look in the "What are you Wearing Today?" thread, you'll see some photos of me in my waistcoats, together with the accessories I wore with them.

Wearing just the waistcoat on its own (with or without matching trousers) and without the suit-jacket is certainly one way to wear it. It's what I'd do, unless it was real cold, then the jacket would become an absolute necessity. I've always loved waistcoats; I just think they're awesome. Plus, I'm something of a pocket-watch lover (I haven't worn a wristwatch since my 21st birthday two years ago, when I treated myself to my...ahem...FIRST...vintage pocket-watch). And of course, if you wear a pocket watch, you have to have a waistcoat (or three) to go with it.

I can't help you with the argyle sweatervest, but I got my seven-button number at a joint called "Anton's" in Melbourne Central (Lonsdale St. entrance). It's a bloody amazing shop with a great range and very helpful and friendly staff. I would make that my first port of call.

Keep up the young-man vintage in Melbourne!

Thank you, Knight. 22 years young. Started in vintage with fountain pens at the age of 7, pocket watches at the age of 8 and classic dressing and grooming about the age of 20. Have never looked back. Vintage is well and alive in me, don't worry!!

PhantomKnight

New in Town
I agree that it does get cold enough to wear suits but, unfortunately for me, "i'm a sweater (vest)" hahaha.

I'll definitely be going to Anton's. I have already marked it down on my to do list!

I'm also looking for a pocket watch as they have always fascinated me! I think the appeal is that they show such a respect for time unlike using a mobile. I'm hoping eBay will have some good vintage ones.

Keep up the never ending search for style!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love pocket watches. They're unique, they're an instant conversation-piece, they are instantly stylish, classic, classy and cool, they are always good-looking and they are a link to history. And I'm about as hardcore a history freak as you could ever find.

Oh, and they actually serve a function.

Where do you live, PhantomKnight? If it's in Melbourne, I could recommend a few shops for watches.

PhantomKnight

New in Town
Yes, Melbourne.

I'm 20 and for the past two years i have been slowly going vintage! Not 30's or 40's yet though. More 50's and 60's - Mad Men and Elvis Presley!

Any private way to contact you as i don't think threads are for just chatting away :p hahaha

I cannot seem to send you private messages though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo