Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to Buy a Waistcoat; where to look in Melbourne?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks,

Once upon a time, when I was still a child, I had a waistcoat.

Not a sleeveless pullover or a zip-up vest. An actual waistcoat, with buttons and pockets and all that. I remember it was kind of a grey colour.

Yeah well...I'm not ten years old anymore and I've since outgrown that thing probably fivefold.

Fast foward 13 years and I suddenly find myself filled with the desire to buy myself another waistcoat. I've always been a rather formal, conservative, old-fashioned kind of dresser and I've always wanted a waistcoat, but never bothered to do anything about this deficiency in my wardrobe until now. So here's a details...

- Should be black. (or dark grey).
- Six-eight buttons.
- Pockets...preferrably four.
- Not necessary to have a belted back.

I picked black because I reckon black tends to go well with almost anything. I wanted a nice, neutral colour.

What's the normal number of buttons for a good waistcoat? I always assumed six. Maybe I was wrong.

Two pocket waistcoat is fine, but I'd prefer a four-pocket one (I tend to carry a lot of little nicknacks with me).

I don't think I'd ever use the belted back, so I doubt that it's necessary.

What could I expect to pay for a good waistcoat?

Those are my criteria. Here are my questions:

Where can I find a shop in Melbourne which will sell men's waistcoats at a decent price? I don't mind buying second-hand provided the quality's good. Close to or in the CBD preferred.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for a fairly formal-looking waistcoat. One which I could wear with a suit, or which I could wear on its own with a shirt and trousers. It doesn't have to be amazingly fancy, though. Black, simple, six buttons, two or four pockets (four preferred). Without lapels or a collar (like I said, I don't want anything too fancy). Single-breasted.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have a few places staked out to ask. Retrostar Vintage was one. CircaVintage is another. I was just wondering if any Melbournian FLers had places to recommend out of personal experience.

I looked up CircaVintage on Google Maps...looks like a nice place which I could easily find my way to. I'll look into it. Thanks Binkie.

I suppose one other thing I should ask is:

How much should I expect to pay for a decent, comfortable waistcoat?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Binkie,

Tried Ca. Vintage Clothing...no luck there. But the very nice lady on the phone suggested a place called "Anton's". After a bit of researching, I found the phone-number and gave them a bell. Hopefully they'll have something that'll fit me! It sounds pretty promising, actually.

I found this review of Anton's online:

http://undergroundmelbourne.wordpre...s-for-a-drab-world-level-3-melbourne-central/

Says:

Have you ever visited the lofty 3rd floor of Melbourne Central? If so, have you walked past – or even dropped into – the 40s timetrip that is Antons? Even the outside of the shop tells you that this shop doesn’t belong in a chainstore mall – its coppery deco-reminiscent window frames hold what is usually some kind of themed window display using their retro-styled mannequins and some unusual props and curios: Antons’ owner is a collector of ephemera from monster and alien figurines to stuffed animals and other brilliant oddities. It’s like nectar to the eyes after row after row of bleak generic stores to see their idiosyncratic display winking brightly at you.

While Antons is ostensibly a clothing shop it s true that one’s first visit is more like a step into a film set: think Casablanca or Cairo in the early 20th century. There are racks of clothing within a 40s to burlesque style – magnificent opulently lined coats and suits for men, coquettish bustiers, corsets and skirts for women plus some ubersharp womens’ suiting. The staff are dressed according to the Anton World and are helpful and often quite gregarious: they seem happy – keen even – to absorb you into their era and aesthetic as though you were casting to be an extra in their filmic world. So, be prepared to surrender yourself to their vast Powers of Styling.

Has anyone had dealings with Anton's? If not, this may be a FL first...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Shangas, I've bought quite a lot of things from Anton's and would highly recommend them. The quality of their goods is top notch and they have some of the friendliest and most helpful staff you are likely to have the pleasure of doing business with. The vast majority of their offerings are very 40s inspired and they offer everything from, hats, suits (with high waisted trousers of course!), shirts, cravats, coats, braces, vintage ties, etc, etc.

Funny you should mention waistcoats as I bought a tweed one from Anton's last month!

Next time you're near Melbourne Central pop in and have a look, although I should warn you, you are very liable to go mad in Anton's and spend more than you were planning to! I seem to whenever I step in there ;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Shangas, I've bought quite a lot of things from Anton's and would highly recommend them. The quality of their goods is top notch and they have some of the friendliest and most helpful staff you are likely to have the pleasure of doing business with. The vast majority of their offerings are very 40s inspired and they offer everything from, hats, suits (with high waisted trousers of course!), shirts, cravats, coats, braces, vintage ties, etc, etc.

Funny you should mention waistcoats as I bought a tweed one from Anton's last month!

Next time you're near Melbourne Central pop in and have a look, although I should warn you, you are very liable to go mad in Anton's and spend more than you were planning to! I seem to whenever I step in there ;)

Smithy, please don't start. I'm already going mad from the very idea that there's a shop in town where I can actually buy a waistcoat from, and at such a convenient location!! I will most certainly go to Anton's tomorrow and wander in and look around. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Just one small hiccup. I haven't been to Melbourne Central in YEARS. Last time I was there, I was a kid and Daimaru (sp?), the shopping-center or whatever, was still open there. But that was so long ago now. I hope I can find my way around!!

The lady I spoke to on the phone said that Anton's waistcoats start at $190. Does this sound like a good chunk of cash to be spending on a waistcoat? Or is that too steep?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think mine was $220 or thereabouts Shangas. Anton's is pricier than some places but then you are getting a handmade garment that is very unique. I'm more than happy with the tweed one I picked up from them, it's beautifully made and as a bonus goes with the 40s style suit I have from them.

You shouldn't have much trouble finding the shop, if you're taking the train, get off at Melbourne Central Station, take the escalators all the way up to the 3rd floor and walk to the end of that floor (it's beside Country Road).

Post some pics if you pick anything up from there!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Will do. And I'll bring my watch & chain along to see if things fit in alright. I normally take the tram into the city and hop off at Flinders Street Station and then leg it from there.

alden405

A-List Customer
you could also try Thom grogan at Captain of Industy in the Melbourne,CBD

Its a cafe,tailor and shoemakers workspace just of Little Bourke Street

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Captains of Industry; off Little Bourke Street?

I had a look online at some reviews...it looks like a pretty neat place. If their stuff's any good and their prices are decent, I'll make that my first port of call.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone!

Well, I'm back from my romp in town.

And I'd like to thank Alden, Smithy & Binkie for their help.

Finding "Anton's" was a bit of a hike. I located Melbourne Central alright (boy it's changed a lot in so many years!!) and after two rounds of the complex, I stumbled into what I guessed was Anton's.

A couple of looks around had convinced me that I'd found the right place. Suits, jackets, ties, hats, shoes, cufflinks...Yeah this looked like Anton's.

I was approached by a lovely lady named Becky who was very helpful.

"Hello, can I help you?"
"Uuuuh...Yes...I'm looking for a waistcoat..."
"Do you know what you want?"
"Um...black, single-breasted...if you have it..."
"Yup, over here..."

She yanked a neat, black, wool waistcoat off the rack and held it up and began to tell me everything about it (what it was made of, where it was made, etc). We both agreed that wearing locally-made clothing is a wonderful thing indeed.

On first sight I thought that this thing was too small. I'm not a big fellow (30 inches around the waist and 5'6" in height) but I began to wonder how I'd get that thing on without ripping it open. It wasn't as tricky as I thought it was, and it actually felt really comfortable.

It's a neat, classy little thing. Seven buttons (six to do up, the 7th down the bottom to be left open...thank you, Edward VII). Four pockets. Two up the top at chest-level and two a little further down, just above the hips. It was very comfortable and felt great, so I bought it on the spot (or once I'd found an ATM).

Photos will come at a later time.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good to hear Shangas!

They really are a nice bunch at Anton's aren't they?

Looking forward to the pics.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In the words of Charles Montegomery Burns:

"We did a dozen takes, and that was STILL the best one..."

coat.jpg

I never realised how filthy my brother's mirror was until now.

The pockets at the waist are rather shallow. Deep enough to hold a watch, but not much else. But that's all I'd put in there, anyway.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice one :eusa_clap

I think your one is exactly the same as mine except for the fabric.

I'll try and get the camera out in the next day or two so and take a couple of snaps of mine.

Once again, it suits you to a tee!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahahaha. Thanks Smithy.

That's just what Becky said. Mine's the "SMALL" size one though, since I'm not that tall or broad. I was worried that it might be real tight, but it's suprisingly comfortable.

I'm yet to see how this thing looks with the suit that I have for my graduation at the end of the month.

alden405

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
Captains of Industry; off Little Bourke Street?

I had a look online at some reviews...it looks like a pretty neat place. If their stuff's any good and their prices are decent, I'll make that my first port of call.

its worth popping in,just for a chat,coffee and a salad roll

never know,i may bump into you there

lovely chaps running the show,as a concept it sounds kinda wanky,but once you see the space and some of the relics it all makes sense

forgot to mention they also have a Barber there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo