Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to scream and cry at the same time, but bein a man, I just gotta curse

dr greg

One Too Many
Took my signature handmade 40's suit out of the cupboard today, and I guess mothballs just don't cut it in the subtropics...
vUicvdu.jpg
[/IMG]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's a bad location for a reweave, so close to the shoulder seam. Still, it can be done.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Took my signature handmade 40's suit out of the cupboard today, and I guess mothballs just don't cut it in the subtropics...
vUicvdu.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a bitch mate. Such a big moth hole. You will have to up the technology and maybe air/use them more often. For a reweave the best is to send it to Chile...no joke.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a nightmare come true for any vintage clothing aficionado Greg. Just looking at the photo makes me shudder and I'm not kidding. I hope it can be repaired okay mate.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
What are the best methods for moth avoidance? I've heard using cedar to line closets is a help, but haven't heard much in favour of most moth balls or other chemical repellants.
Obviously regular use will help, but we've had a few issues with moths in our bedroom walk in closet on clothing that is worn weekly.
Anyone with tips?

Flat Foot Floey

Terrible! I am paranoid too since we had food moths and even if I know they are not the same as clothes moth I almost get an heart attack every time I see something fluttering.

What are the best methods for moth avoidance? I've heard using cedar to line closets is a help, but haven't heard much in favour of most moth balls or other chemical repellants.
Obviously regular use will help, but we've had a few issues with moths in our bedroom walk in closet on clothing that is worn weekly.
Anyone with tips?
Try a "bump" on this thread. Just too keep all infos there:

FAQ clothes moths

flat-top

We recently had a bout with some field mice and the exterminator, as he walked through my basement full of vintage clothes asked "Do you find holes in some of your clothes?" I said "Yes, moths" and he said "No...MICE!"

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@Dr Greg

If a reweave for some reason is not in the cards - a tailor (or good alterationist) could open the upper sleeve-shoulder seam and reattach it. In other words the shoulders are made a bit narrower (some padding would have to be taken out). Of course on the other shoulder as well. In any case the holes would dissappear. If it is a very broad shouldered 40's suit, it should still fit well and have a reasonably broad shoulder.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I was just about to ask or even start a thread on how you store your vintage, clothing. After seeing this perhaps it's needed if it does not already exist.
What a nightmare, such a large hole, these Australian moths are vicious, only yesterday I received a 3 piece db 40's suit off an ebay member, who described the suit as only needing a good dry clean and it will be good as new, I was looking forward to having a new 3 piece only to discover he was lying about the condition, and it was riddled with holes as large as the one you have there. Needless to say the suit is on its way back even though he will not pay for return postage.
Ok what I do with my suits that I tend not to wear to often is to vacuum seal them, yes they may come out a little crinkled when first taken out after storage but its sure stops those dam moths, and the bags are cheap and easy to obtain, all you need is a vacuum to use.
Hopefully you can get it sorted mate..

Last edited:

dr greg

One Too Many
Like the Borsalino attack recently, the moths here only seem to have expensive tastes...i haven't worn the suit in awhile, and i suppose if I can restore it, then vacuum bag is the answer, but it's always scared me as an option due to rampant mold here in the subtropics....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot