Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iconic Trenchcoat wear for women...(Comments Welcome)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
@Laura Chase
Do you know if all London Fog trenches have removable lining?
It's a reason why I like the Burberry trenches so much but now that I can't find a style that fits me I am looking for other options... :)

No, I don't know if all of them have that, but it should say in the descriptions on London Fog's website. :) Mine is the one called Chloe. You could also email and ask their customer service.

texasgirl

One Too Many
My sweet husband got me this for my birthday :)

ScreenHunter_01Mar080929.jpg

D

Deleted member 12480

i got one for £75 at topshop. Its about mid thigh. I also have an ankle length mens one from M&S that i found in a charity shop. Good stuff!

xx

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I have a classic Burberry that I found in a thrift several years ago ($5 for a Burberry!) and adjusted it to the perfect length for me. I love it with slacks, but wear it oner shorter skirts. It really is the perfect raincoat.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
My mum has the most amazing Burberry trenchcoat - this one:

emma-watson-wearing-burberry-trench.jpg

I wish she'd hand it down to me, but it's so eminently practical and timeless that I don't think I'll ever get my hands on it :(

Edward

Bartender
Ada Veen said:
emma-watson-burberry-campaign-1.jpg

wow, someone buy emma watson an iron.

lol I've seen these for sale, it seems Burberry have created a model or two that have (in eBay seller-speak) that "trendy rumpled look". :rolleyes: I'm not sure exactly who gets off on dressing like a tramp; it's all a bit derelicte for me....

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
I want a trench similar to the classic Burberry Ivybridge (the Burberry one looks ok on me, but I want one that looks fantastic) and one that is fuller on the bottom to wear over skirts and dresses...

wtufcx.jpg

293aftk.jpg

Last year I bought one from oli.co.uk that had a lovely full skirt, but other than that was a really classic style. It's a fairly light cotton, so I only got to wear it for about 3 weeks in Autumn. Similar to this one but falls just below the knee.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I 'm very lucky that i have a classic Burberry trench which my mum bought me for my 21st and is still going strong. It's the one clothing item i would probably save in a house fire because i have got so much wear out of it, and always feel pulled together with it on, even when i have chucked it over my pyjamas and crammed a hat on my head to do the school run. I always feel slightly mysterious and femme fatale with it on and have learned to ignore the inevitable 'strippagram' and Inspector Gadget comments! Sensibly my mum made me buy the longer size and a size larger which also works because i have thrown it over long skirts, evening dresses etc and it seems to work. I always think the trenchcoat/fedora/beret look is so glamorous on a woman a real style classic! They do seem to turn up quite alot in second hand dress shops round here and not very expensive either, considering how obscenely expensive they are new.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Goldfish said:
I want a trench similar to the classic Burberry Ivybridge (the Burberry one looks ok on me, but I want one that looks fantastic) and one that is fuller on the bottom to wear over skirts and dresses...

wtufcx.jpg

293aftk.jpg

I think you could achieve a very similar look to the bottom pic with this pattern from Truly Victorian, using minimal modifications. I admit that I shamelessly plug her patterns, but they are so wonderful and easy to use!

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
please please can someone tell me where i can get a ladies trench coat? i love the burberry one but not the price!

i would love a wwII/forties style one, like this
Trench+Coat+1940s.jpg

but i don't especially want to make it myself! all my searches have brought up either really expensive or really cheap ones, and none that i really like.

would women have had trench coats made for them in the 40s or would they wear mens? i'm not *too* fussed on looking very period accurate, i just like that look the most!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Puzzicato, I'm belt cincher, too. This particular trench has a very long belt, so I cinch it, then bring it back thru the buckle to keep it tight and tuck the ends in the pockets. A lot of work, but I prefer the look to the tied belt.

Medium/heavy weight trench from Elevenses, falls just about to the knees.
2009-08-20_1959.png

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Lily Powers said:
Puzzicato, I'm belt cincher, too. This particular trench has a very long belt, so I cinch it, then bring it back thru the buckle to keep it tight and tuck the ends in the pockets. A lot of work, but I prefer the look to the tied belt.

I think the tied belt looks a bit scruffy, although my current trench doesn't have a buckle on the belt, so I don't have the option!

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
i have just bought this:
!BvwYf7gCWk~$(KGrHqYOKioEwQ1L-nhpBMF5RZg41g~~_35.JPG

(i hope this is ok to post, it is a finished auction).

i have no idea how vintage this is, if at all, it is obviously well loved but well cared for, but could just as easily be 5 years old as 45!

anyway, i love it, it fits me perfectly, i just don't get to wear it till my birthday - booooo!

i did want a burberry, but then i decided that i wasn't prepared to pay what some sellers were asking, and £50 seems decent for a long trench.

edit: just thought you'd like to know, it is a Grenfell, and i have always buckled not tied the belt, and i would have to with this one, the belt is not really long enough. it sticks out something funny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner