Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ID this nylon jacket from just a description.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
So during the '90s, I used to wear a field-green nylon bomber jacket. It had storm cuffs, adjustment tabs/buttons (forgot which) at the back/waist, some kind of wool or poly-felt lining that was the same color as the nylon, a fold-over collar, one of the most substantial zippers I've ever seen and a very unique feature that I've never seen on a garment before or since - 3/4" piping that started near the cuff and went along the shoulder, all the way up to the neck. The nylon was stiffer than that of a 'modern' flight/bomber jacket. I don't think it had a knit bottom so, maybe not officially a bomber but it was the length of one. It had a U.S. government-standard garment info tag. I believe it had bi-swing pleats. Does this description ring a bell with anyone, especially the part about the the piping?

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
OK, first off, please do not call it a "bomber jacket." It is always a flight jacket. I am guessing from your description that it is a Nylon USMC WEP Jacket. I am not sure about the piping that you describe, but does it resemble this picture?

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I doubt my jacket would be called a 'flight' jacket. It looks quite different from the one pictured. The length of it is somewhere between that jacket and a modern fashion bomber jacket. Storm cuffs have a sleeve that extends over the knit portion. The collar folds over and is made of the same nylon fabric as the shell. The insulation is a full lining composed of either wool or polyester felt, which makes the jacket drape smoother than a jacket with fiberfill (flight jacket, etc). I don't remember if the bottom has any knit or not. I don't believe it has any pockets on the chest. It has hand-warmer pockets placed lower. No pocket on the sleeve. The piping is routed across the location of the pictured jacket's sleeve pocket. If my jacket were laid flat in the same manner as the pictured jacket, you'd see the piping encompass the entire upper edge of the arms/shoulders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy