Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identifying early hats by sweatband: A Guide

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seems to be a sound concept. I can't avoid some bleed through of sweat though and it is always in the same area regardless of the hat. It must be the shape of my head.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Thread!

There's a sweatband feature I think is significant,
but I don't know its name. It seems to appear on
late 40s to early 50s hats. You can see it on a lot
of the Johnnyphi hats and on the Portis Supreme
I'm selling in the Classifieds section now. Here's an
example on DOUGLAS' Playboy:

DSCN5227.jpg

See that extra layer between the sweat and the felt?
It appears to be some sort of extra cushion or perhaps a bit
of extra buffer between sweatband and felt, for wicking sweat.
I believe it appears on both reeded and unreeded examples in that
period. Anyone know its name or know more about how it is done?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I believe I have the same thing on my Lee Trinity. In this case the extra layer between the hat body and the sweat is made of a felt strip. Behind the sweat is some kind of thin onion skin serving as an additional protection.

lee_sweat_01.jpg

lee_sweat_02.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
early Stetson 3X Dress hat

I blew this sweatband logo stamp up as large as possible (without offending due to size). I thought it might interest some of you to see the attention to detail shown by hat-makers in the past:

Dress3XLogo.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Just won this beauty this morning, which led to an hour of reading about dating crests, Quality designations, then this thread, trying to nail down the hat's approximate age.
sa4038631013-yW.jpg

sa66030511013-yW.jpg

And I still have a question! When did Stetson stop using this No. 1 Quality stamp?
sa97614221013-yW.jpg

Any guesses?

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
And I still have a question! When did Stetson stop using this No. 1 Quality stamp?

Any guesses?

The 1971 Miller-Stockman catalog still shows at least a half-dozen hats available in the #1 Quality. I have a hat with the same sweatband, size hang tag and liner style as yours. Someone wrote 1963 on the back of the sweat, along with their names. I find my hat to be very inconsistent and hard to nail down on a firm date.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The 1971 Miller-Stockman catalog still shows at least a half-dozen hats available in the #1 Quality. I have a hat with the same sweatband, size hang tag and liner style as yours. Someone wrote 1963 on the back of the sweat, along with their names. I find my hat to be very inconsistent and hard to nail down on a firm date.

Fascinating. I'm eager to receive this and examine it up close, take a few pictures, and maybe get some definitive answers. Thanks for the input.

Mystic

Practically Family

With so many Stetson threads with overlapping subject matter I think this comes closest to the right place to ask this question, or re-ask this question.

Is there any new information or input on how long or to what years this Stetson logo was used?

This is a black sweat with clear plastic over the liner logo.
StetsonNo1qualitylogo.jpg
[/IMG]
StetsonNo1Qualitylinerlogo.jpg
[/IMG]

In Randooch's post #46 could help but the photos are missing.

I never was much of a detective or a student.... :eek:hwell:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Thanks...

I was thinking 60's and was hoping not to be 70's.

I'm also thinking by the 60's this No.1 Quality may not mean any more than the Stetson X"s came to represent.

The #1 Quality in the 60's was a good hat, used primarily as a western designation, it sold for more than a Royal, Royal DeLuxe and some 3X hats.

Jalpa85

New in Town
I ran across this Stetson hat box at an auction a couple of weeks ago. It had, I thought, a Stetson Boss Raw Edge hat inside but there are no signs of Stetson on the hat and I can't identify the embossed crest. This is my first vintage hat and I am thinking of having it restored. I found the crest on this thread that Dinerman post on April 7, 2009 but it looks like a newer version of mine. My questions are, how old is the Stetson hat box and is it for two hats (because it is so deep) and can anyone tell me anything about the hat? Make, style, age and type of fur. I took it to a Millinery that has been in business for over a hundred years and is operated by the third generation. Unfortunately the owner wasn't there and the salesman couldn't tell me anything about it.
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0820 Cropped.JPG
IMG_0834 Cropped.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay