Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
I met Carmel Quinn, who was a singer/dancer for Arthur Godfrey. She was doing a reading of James Joyce's "Ulysses" earlier this year at a local library in celebration of "Bloomsday." She was a nice lady who spoke with a trace of an Irish brogue...yeah, she was cool.

carmelquinn_theirishinme.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Betty is a real sweetie! She's still alive as well! And from what I understand, she's just as spunky as she was in the 40's!

Here is a nice photo of her I like.

Root.

PS. Any one see Here Comes the Waves with Bing Crosby and Betty Hutton?? Good movie! Go see it soon.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here is a scan of my copy of this classic song from the Film "Here Come the Waves". I just love this film because, Betty Playes two rolls! She plays the part of a Bing Crosby crazy bobysoxer and then she plays the roll of her slightly older more mature sister.

It's a real hoot!

Root.

Originally posted by Matt Deckard
You've been watching Annie get your gun on TCM?

This is her week you know!

No, but I did catch the TCM interview with her on Sunday!

Originally posted by Wild Root
Betty is a real sweetie! She's still alive as well! And from what I understand, she's just as spunky as she was in the 40's!

Yes, she's alive and well and just as spunky! :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
She was also in the 1942 Film: "The Fleet's In" Staring Dorothy Lamour, Betty Hutton, Jimmy Dorsey and his Orch.

Funny film and full of great shots and songs with the band.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm still nuts about Ann Sheridan.

08AnnSheridan.jpg

sherdan1.gif

Short, redheaded, knockout figure and face, down-to-earth and spunky. A Texan to boot! Shame she died so early.

Myrna Loy and Judy Garland also send me. Whew! Something about down-to-earth, spunky and short...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Man, I'm on your team with that post! Ann is quite a sweetie. I like the photos you posted!

I'm a Myrna fan too. Judy Garland's early work (1938 1946) I really liked! She was really cute in the Andy Hardy films.

Yeah, we missed out on the golden era darn it! There were some sweet girls back then. Did you know why Judy Garland started to take drugs? Sad story! She was under so much pressure and she felt she could never compete with the top leading ladies of Hollywood. She got depressed and started to take anti-depression medication. Well, she got stuck on them and so you know how it all ended. What a shame and a waste.

Oh well, we still can enjoy the great movies and photos she left for us!

Root.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have always loved Betty Page. Although she is not an actress per say. She does have a timeless beauty that set the standard for all future pinups.
flbetty.jpg

Another lady who fascinates me is someone I don't know much about. Her name is 'Sparky Blaine' and she is billed as The American Showgirl. This Picture is a great one and her pose and outfit speak volumes of her personality.
flsparkyblaine.jpg

Chad

Wild Root

Gone Home
Gene Harlow was something too.

jeanharlow2mz.jpg

Oh Chad, I believe Betty is still alive as well. She dropped out of the pin-up biz in the early 60's I think. I may be able to find where she lives.

Root.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Can't believe I am just discovering this link. I tend to only look at hat links.

My favorite actress from the Golden Era was Ingrid Bergman in the 1940's. The camera just ate her up. Audrey is a close second -- such class and elegance and beauty.

I read that an old-time cameraman ,who had filmed all the famous actresses of the past, was once asked which one he considered to be the most beautiful to photograph. He had the standard beauties on his list: Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Bergman, Harlow and Garbo, but he said the easiest to film was Carole Lombard. He said you could photograph her from any angle and she always looked great.

Another actress the camera loved was Marilyn. She made a film with Sir Lawrence Olivier. He hated working with her and said she was the most unprofessional actress he'd ever met: she was late, some days didn't show, didn't know her lines, flubbed everything and was an emotional mess. "However," he said, " I saw early rushes from the film and you couldn't take your eyes off her. So, there you have it!"

Men? Oh, lord, I thought early Gary Cooper was the most beautiful man. I liked his understated acting, too. My mother loved the King, Clark Gable, who I thought was an old geezer until I saw him in Gone With the Wind. Suddenly, I understood.

My favorite actor was Alec Guiness because, well, he could act and brought a wonderful presence to every part he played.

I could go on and on, but better stop now.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Audrey Hepburn, She was really something! However I have nothing bad to say about her, but she portrayed too much perfection I feel. A little too polished if you ask me. She was great though.

I like the 30's and 40's styles more I guess. Audrey was more 50's and that's cool, but I would say I'm more of a Ginger Rogers fan.

Root.

I like Ingrid Bergman so, here is a photo of her I like.
ingridbergman9pn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm