Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Wildroot, you sure know how to dig up the photos. I thought I had seen all the cool old Ingrid pictures, but I have never seen that one. When I was a young actress, I always wanted to look like her.

Probably one of the reasons Casablanca is one of my favorite films: it's got Ingrid, and Bogie, and Claude Rains, a wonderful actor. And Sydney Greenstreet, and....

Then, there is Bette Davis. I used to watch her films to see when she would give The Look that only she could give ("Bette Davis eyes!"). Like in The Little Foxes, when you know she is going to let her husband struggle for his heart medicine and die; in Now Voyager when she and Heindred give lingering looks over cigarettes; in A Pocketful of Miracles when she looks in the mirror after her transformation; in Mr. Skeffington, when she realizes he is blind and cannot see that she has become old and ugly; in All About Eve when she sits in the audience while Eve thanks her for helping her get to the top -- and if looks could kill, Ann Baxter would have become a cornflake.

Oh, there were so many of them, then.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Glad you liked the photo! That's the first one I found in color. I would say it's from the late 40s.

I like Betty as well. Here is a real early 30's photo of Betty. I really like her early work as well.

Root.

B556.JPG

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
As for Betty Page she did retire from her former life, all of which was the work she did to help her break into Hollywood which of course never really happened.....she lives (if I remember right) in SoCal and only recently given a few interviews.....she was always religious and hated the work she did I think now in her later years she has realized that it wasn't all that bad.....there was a really good documentary a few years back about her that had her first interview in like 30+ years......

Betty also did very little stage burlesque she mostly did photos and blue movies most of which were so seedy that you wouldn't have admitted you seen one let alone owned one....

Wild Root

Gone Home
Red Heads.

Well, I know Myrna Loy was a read head, I think Ginger Rogers was too. But, I have seen photos of her as a brunette and as a blond. So, I’m not sure of her real natural hair color.

Lucile Ball of course we know as a read head. And let me think… I’m drawing a blank. Any help from other 30’s to 40’s stars that had red hair is welcome! I would like to know my self.

Well Chad, there’s a start for you.

Here are some photos of the mentioned ladies.

Root.

Oh, Myrna! She really had something.
loy-color.jpg

Ginger, I think her real hair color was red. This is what I could find that I felt was accurate. This is a tobacco card from the mid 30's. I think she started to change hair color in the late 30's and early 40's.
81451.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Redheads

I believe Rita Hayworth had red hair in some of her films. I doubt she was a real readhead.

Greer Garson, wasn't she a redhead? Later, there was Susan Hayward, Maureen O'Hara, I think Arlene Dahl had red hair. Deborah Padget, Deborah Kerr, Kate Hepburn, and....

Oh, heck, try this website: www.redandproud.com/famous

It even includes the guys.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Chad -- There are people on that site I was not even aware were redheads.

And a great many of the actresses mentioned on this thread as favorites, were redheads, including Matt's Clara Bow. I did not know she was the first Hollywood redhead.

Rita, Myrna, Ginger, and Susan Hayward....Then there was the classy Greer Garson, a popular star in the 40's. She made movies in the 50's and 60's, too, and I believe did stage work up into the 80's.

Who says blondes have more fun? In my next incarnation, I am going red.

Thanks for re-posting the site.

karol

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Wow--some interesting choices here! Many of these women (Bettie Davis, Norma Shearer), though beautiful, were not considered true (or conventional) beauties in their day. In fact, they had to work very hard to achieve some of their earlier (and even some of their later) roles, despite being excellent actresses!

Rita Hayworth and Lucille Ball were dyed redheads. Rita Hayworth also did one movie as a dyed blonde--it was called "The Lady of Shanghai". Her blonde hair was not as well received as her red locks were, however. As for Lucy, she was a natural blonde! Despite being very beautiful, she was somewhat unsuccessfully competing against a host of other blondes, and chose to try a more unusual look to boost her career. With the red hair came her success!

Wingnut--Ann Sheridan was not that short at all! She was 5'6--that was relatively tall in the 40s! I do agree that she was a true stunner--she had very sultry, sleepy lids that gave her a definite appeal! (Although I don’t look a thing like her, I believe we have the same measurements!)

My personal favorites? I love Betty Grable for her all-American appeal. Also, I like Myrna Loy and Ginger Rogers--both share the same cuteness factor, and they were excellent comediennes. Also, Jean Harlow and Marilyn Monroe have a similar appeal in that they were both terribly sexy and beautiful, but they still had a naiveté and innocence that made them appealing--almost girl-next-doorish. I especially like Marilyn in her early years, when she was still Norma Jean. I think stardom stole a lot her freshness.

For men, I think Cary Grant was gorgeous. I also like Clark Gable, and both Jimmy Stewart and Humphrey Bogart have appealing qualities as well. Tyrone Power was a looker too. (Interesting note: He and my husband’s grandfather served in the Marines together—they were in the same unit and often played cards during boot camp.)

Also, I like William Powell's onscreen personality. He played sharp-witted, debonair characters, and that can be an attractive combination!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A little known Silver Screen starlet...

So many of these talented Silver Screen actresses' names of the 30's and 40's have been lost for ever in the anals of celluloid Hollywood history. This is just one of many talented young ladies from a golden era, who stands alongside the greats of Garbo; Hayworth; Rogers..etc, but alas whose name is elusive. :)
Can anyone discover whatever happened to this golden vintage starlet..?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, you do flatter me! Imagine when I opened that up...my eyes popped out and then a giggle emerged.

BT, yeah, I hope I'm not living in any anal celluloids. LOL!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gee Whizz....oh myyyyyy goodness!!

Ooooopppps!! do you think I used the wrong terminology there Holly and Martin..? Uffffff!! I'm such a dim-wit at times, I really set myself up there didn't I..!! LoL..!! (I did say 'annals' didn't I..?? doh!!) Maybe it was a good move for me to get out of journalism huh? haha!!

But hey, isn't it just peachy to have our very own home-grown 'wee' whip crackin starlet here :) :fedora: Me thinks so!

OK, I'm away back to my dictionary guys... [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112