Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I like A-2's would I like a Schott Perfecto?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've several A2's and a couple of leather car coats. There's a Black Schott Perfecto HH in my size on the Bay and I'm contemplating giving it go. I don't ride, and have no pretensions about it. Is it too "biker" for casual wear to work and gigs? And how tight do Perfecto's run. I've lost weight and might be swimming in it.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'll probably be in the minority here, but I do feel the Perfecto is way too biker to wear unless you actually are a biker or one of the Ramones.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Grayland. The Perfecto is the poster child for bike wear. Just doesn't work in a street wear sense, at least not for me. But, then, I'm not a fan of the Perfecto for myself. I have probably 10 MC jackets, and none is the Perfecto. Now that doesn't mean if I found an early 50s Perfecto, I wouldn't buy it. I probably would buy it and would wear it while riding a several times a year.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've seen the Perfecto label on cafe racers by Schott too. So it's not always that somewhat overstated bike riding look. Does Perfecto properly refer to a particualr pattern or to a range? Common usage may have taken the word far from its origins.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Try Legendary USA they have a Buco horsehide to die for and made by Schott. Lifetime warranty, free shipping X 2 for the wrong size, 10% on merch. from them forever just join the club. The link is included. Tell them they should acknowledge (us) The Fedora Lounge. Lets get them as a sponsor or discount. These folks are the bomb.

http://www.legendaryusa.com/

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Seb in regard to your question: http://www.schottnyc.com/

In 1913, as Ford's new Model T began to crowd the already bustling streets of New York City, two brothers, the sons of a Russian immigrant, went after their piece of the American Dream. Irving and Jack Schott started making raincoats in a basement on the Lower East Side of Manhattan which were then sold by street peddlers door to door. Irving Schott's leather jackets were lovingly branded with the name of his favorite cigar - the Perfecto. By the mid-twenties, Schott NYC was revolutionizing the way Americans dressed for the outdoors when they were the first to put a zipper on a jacket.Retailing for $5.50 at a Long Island Harley Davidson distributor, the Perfecto was durable, rugged, and immediately embraced. To this new generation of "bikers," the Perfecto was a symbol of the excitement, adventure and danger that fueled their fascination with motorcycles.

With WWII over, this country was witnessing the rise of a new rebellion one that would be fought with fast cars and Rock and Roll. In 1954, the now cult classic "The Wild Ones" featured the hot young actor, Marlon Brando, perched on his motorcycle wearing his Schott Perfecto®. The subsequent spike in popularity of the Perfecto® surprisingly resulted in decreased sales. The jackets were banned by school systems around the country because they symbolized a burgeoning teen demographic, the hoodlum. Just one year later, the Perfecto® was catapulted to the height of its popularity when a love for speed ended the life of the quintessential hoodlum. It is said that James Dean could hardly ever be seen without his Perfecto®.

Metatron

One Too Many
I agree with the above, and I think it might have something to do with the saturation of popular culture with this particular style. I'm too scared of sporting one because it tends to be identified as a cliche. Not that some people can't pull it off.
I think it looks good on young hipsters (and girls with floral patterned dresses) , but I assume that's not really your style. I personally really like more understated variations of the asymmetrical leather jacket like this: http://superiorjackets.com/?p=974

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Inmho legendary sells a Black Stallion Buco style made by Schott and this would be my way to go. If you want to pm me I have a great lead on Schott through a vendor.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I've seen the Perfecto label on cafe racers by Schott too. So it's not always that somewhat overstated bike riding look. Does Perfecto properly refer to a particualr pattern or to a range? Common usage may have taken the word far from its origins.

Yes, a very particular pattern. Think Marlon Brando, in The Wild One.

Edit note: Well I see my post crossed with #7 by ShowSomeClass above.

Last edited:

guygardner

A-List Customer
Just like you don't need to be an airforce pilot to wear an A2, you don't have to be a biker to wear a perfecto.

It's a timeless style IMO, just like the A2. It depends on your taste. I prefer the perfecto to the ubiquitous cafe racer, and I also think that it can be a more flattering cut than the A2. To each his own...If you like it and you think it suits you, then why not?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just like you don't need to be an airforce pilot to wear an A2, you don't have to be a biker to wear a perfecto.

It's a timeless style IMO, just like the A2. It depends on your taste. I prefer the perfecto to the ubiquitous cafe racer, and I also think that it can be a more flattering cut than the A2. To each his own...If you like it and you think it suits you, then why not?

I hear you. Over here everyone, and I mean, everyone wore a Perfecto in the 1980's so I can't even look at them anymore.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
The arms are on the short side on this jacket. Measure the arms in your regular jackets and then compare figure with the one on ebay. As for the style, you obviously like it, or you would not have asked us. I would not consider this jacket to be a "casual wear" jacket for nonbikers. If I were you, I'd order a lighter weight version that is cheaper. It will also break in faster. Schott makes a few nice Perfectos for nonbike wear. They turn up often on ebay with light use. For this style, I would go used and less expensive first and then decide if you want to upgrade to an expensive Perfecto.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I have both, A2s and Perfecto and I like both. From my view, the question is what you like to wear under your jacket :) Nowadays I mostly wear chino and cargo pants, therefore, I feel more comfortable with military jackets. I don't like jeans or engineers boots with A2. For this style, I think Perfecto works better.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face

While the Perfecto was initially associated as the Brando-type biker jacket, I seem to recall reading that Perfecto brand also refers to Schott jackets made with better quality cowhide leather, steer, horse, etc...

Edward

Bartender
I've several A2's and a couple of leather car coats. There's a Black Schott Perfecto HH in my size on the Bay and I'm contemplating giving it go. I don't ride, and have no pretensions about it. Is it too "biker" for casual wear to work and gigs? And how tight do Perfecto's run. I've lost weight and might be swimming in it.

Worf

I don't know that I'd buy one without trying it on first. Unless, of course, you're getting a crazy-good deal. Try and find out which model it is. The 118 and the 618 are the same basic Brando style, but the 618 is a neat fit (Schott stockists seem to advise going up a size in that one), while the 118 (introduced sometime in the 70s, if memory serves) is a more relaxed cut, less tapered. The leather quality is also reputedly different. The type certainly is - the 118 is a naked cowhide, while the 618 is most commonly steer (as per the original early 1950s design, which itself was identical to the earlier 613 save for the stars on the epaulettes, omitted on the 618 as they had, so the story goes, become the constant target of thieves). I've also seen 618s advertised as horse.

All depends what you like, really. I like both the Perfecto and the A2. They are rather different beasts, though, so try one on, see if you like how it fits, how it looks, and so on. It may be for you, and it may not.

Exactly. Nowadays, nobody really thinks of a Perfecto style as 'only for bikers'. It may be colloquially referred to as a "biker jacket", but from the jacket alone (or, frankly, even the entire Brando outfit) you're no more likely to have anyone thinking you're pretending to be a biker than thinking Im trying to pass as an RAF fighter pilot when wearing an Irvin. When I first got into that style of jacket I don't know if I even knew it originated as motorcycle wear... To me it was an Alice Cooper jacket.... and later a Dee Dee Ramone. If you like it, go for it. Wear it. Dont care what the doubters say.... no different than anything else anyone in these parts wears.

I have both, A2s and Perfecto and I like both. From my view, the question is what you like to wear under your jacket :) Nowadays I mostly wear chino and cargo pants, therefore, I feel more comfortable with military jackets. I don't like jeans or engineers boots with A2. For this style, I think Perfecto works better.

That's my one limitation with the Perfecto style. Mine have always had less wear than my A2s and other leathers as they are simply a more casual jacket. The Bootlegger or a halfbelt I can easily throw over a collar and tie for a "business casual" kinda vibe (I prefer "Howard Hughes", but let's fit it in modern parlance for now). I personally don't really feel a Perfecto style works with this (yet the Bootlegger, which is not a million miles away in basic shape, does.Colour may also be an issue. A brown Perfecto style with brass fittings might be 'tamed' in the way that a black and chrome will not). FWIW, I would never think to wear my Highwayman (black, but this is an issue of cut rather than colour) other than casually either. It's whatever you are comfortable with. Do go somewhere and try one on (it's not hard to find a Schott stockist) before you put down the money on one unless it's a total steal (the brand helps resale), but don't be put off.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for the opinions and view folks. The ad say's it's a 618 in Black HH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27098072247...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This jacket's some distance away so I'll have to go to the local leather shop and see if they have something similar I can try on so I can see how it feels... looks.

Worf

The 618 is the better model, IMO - truer to the original vintage pattern. The main thing to be aware of is the kerfuffle over Schott's horsehide. A couple of years ago, there was a lot of objection to the fact they were using hide with a glued(?) felt-backing, which some felt was a bit of a cheat to make it seem thicker than it really was. As far as I know they stopped this practice due to customer demand - not sure when it ran, though, of if there's any old stock of it still around... Course, that didn't affect the quality of the garment otherwise, so it might not matter to you at all either way.

The measurements offered on the auction are helpful. 46" around the chest is what I would expect in a well-fitting but not too slim suit jacket or A2. It's about what I have in my Aero Bootlegger. More space in a Highwayman (I'd estimate they're 47", maybe, in a 42), while my Thirties Halfbelt is around 45" in the chest in a Size 42. The measurements given in this auction are for a 44, which is consistent with the advice I often see to go a size up in the 618. I'd make sure you check the waist measurement (not given here). I don't know how tapered the Schott is, but I had this problem with Aero. I'm going to have to sell on the Aero MC jacket I love because while it looks fine worn open, I've had to accept closing it just isn't working on me. It's a shame, as it's a beautiful jacket, fits perfectly in the shoulders and chest, but too neat on the waist. (While a boxier fit overall, it's actually a good couple of inches narrower at the waist than a Thirties Halfbelt in the same size 42, which Amanda informs me is the standard pattern...). I rarely even think of wearing a jacket in this style closed, but that's not really the point... So, that word of warning given...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner