Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If Money Were No Object...?

rumblefish

One Too Many
What food would you treat yourself to once a week, if it wouldn't blow your food budget?

I would go for American lobster, homarus armericanus. I like spiny lobsters, but their taste comes nowhere near to that of their northern cousins.
I used to work with a couple of lobstermen in the late 80s, and although I got awful creative in preparing (ceviche, salads, pasta & noodles, etc.), I got kind of tired of them. Not so now, once a week would be nice...:)

n1450627888_27198_5817.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Filet Mignon would have to be at the top of my list but occasionally I'd want roast duckling a 'la orange. But of course you do realize that I'd want to eat this food in exotic locations at least once a month. lol

Cricket

Practically Family
Considering my family and I are living on a reporter's budget (We are both reporters, what were we thinking?!), I would have to say a good seafood dish once a week. I have a tender spot for any shrimp dish, and like I said before on a reporter's budget something as simple as a shrimp platter is living high on the hog, Haha
Also, depending if I liked it or not, I would love to try one of the $1,000? mint juleps at the Kentucky Derby. If they were really that good and I could afford it, once a week would be a good treat.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I grew up eating lobster when it was really cheap, at least for locals, and got to the point where I can eat one a year and it's plenty. Too much mess for too little meat.

I've never been much for eating expensively, preferring lunch counter/deli food to tablecloth restaurant fare, but I would never turn my nose up at a nice veal marsala. But for something once a week that I'd never get tired of, give me some really good fried chicken.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Oysters from Cancale, Bretagne - washed down with some Cloudy Bay from NZ.
Allthough oysters are only really, really good in winter, early spring and late fall - so twice a week then. In the season.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
A really great porterhouse steak, rare, topped with a pat of butter, cool, crisp Cesear salad, a baked potato dripping with real butter and sour cream and fresh, warm, crusty dinner rolls. Can't forget an old-fashioned or whiskey sour to go with that heavenly meal, and a slice of cheesecake with a good cup of coffee for dessert, of course. That, my friends, would make the perfect Saturday night dinner date for my mister and me. :eek:

Many foods for me, particularly rich foods are best eaten infrequently so they do not become ordinary and lose their special connotations.

However, I'd like to have Albert's Pizza once a week and since they're on Long Island and I am here in LA that would call for a weekly NY trip to enjoy it at its best. (I'd get tired of the round trip first not the pizza.)

LordBest

Practically Family
Foie gras and truffles washed down with a good sauternes.

or

Devilled kidneys and buttered toast. Not expensive but finding decent lamb kidneys is dashed difficult around here. Australians tend to be squeamish eaters so the butchers dont keep the interesting bits.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Lillemor said:
Salmon of every variety, three times a day. I love salmon!

"We are rather blessed here in Australia, Salmon is often cheaper than Steak and so much tastier, love a salmon portion poached in dry white wine with a big dollop of sour cream, and a spoon full of caviar, and a few croutons browned in Macadamia oil.

Breakfast on Christmas day is always creamy scrambled eggs with smoked salmon stirred through , and the Sour cream dollop and caviar!"

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
I must say that money is not the largest concern for me when it comes to food. That is not to say that i can necessarily afford to eat whatever i want, whenever i want - only that even if i could other issues would still prevent it. I am not fond of eating out, so time and energy are important to an enjoyable meal, and i try to always give thought to the origins of my food - is it sustainably produced?

That said, if none of those things were issues, i'd jump on the seafood bandwagon as well! I am particularly fond of shrimp and scallops, though, as i try not to eat them too often, i'm not sure i have an especial favorite dish for them yet.

Rumblefish, that photo is fantastic! =)

Actually, in re-thinking my answer I would say that while I am important to me, the greatest joy would be in being able to share such delights with family and friends. It's in the sharing of a great meal or wine or beer etc with others that the real enjoyment comes.

I'd take my group to have some really great dining experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner