Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If Money Were No Object...?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ladybrettashley said:
I must say that money is not the largest concern for me when it comes to food.......time and energy are important
Yep, same here. There are many dishes which contain relatively inexpensive ingredients but require an extensive expenditure of time/effort/expertise to bring to the table. These are the dishes I look for when dining out. I can whip up my own steak/lobster/pasta in short order at home.

John in Covina said:
Actually, in re-thinking my answer I would say that while I am important to me, the greatest joy would be in being able to share such delights with family and friends. It's in the sharing of a great meal or wine or beer etc with others that the real enjoyment comes.

I'd take my group to have some really great dining experiences.

I think you have a great point there. What is a good meal without good company? I remember every Sunday my family would get together for a BBQ, weather permitting. Fourteen or so people talking, laughing and having a good time was quite interesting. :D

Tomasso said:
Yep, same here. There are many dishes which contain relatively inexpensive ingredients but require an extensive expenditure of time/effort/expertise to bring to the table. These are the dishes I look for when dining out. I can whip up my own steak/lobster/pasta in short order at home.

Why does a good cioppino come to mind here? I could do it myself but spend all day preparing it. ;) :p

Warrussia

New in Town
jamespowers said:
I think you have a great point there. What is a good meal without good company? I remember every Sunday my family would get together for a BBQ, weather permitting. Fourteen or so people talking, laughing and having a good time was quite interesting. :D

I agree, I don't think it is the food that makes a meal, It is the pepole that you eat the meal with. If money was no object, I would probably still eat the same food I eat now.

Foofoogal

Banned
well, if money was no object then I would have my own chef to whip up all these yummy dishes for me every day.
---------------------------------
I just picked up a cross stiched sampler. This is the saying on it:

A crust that's shared is finer food than a banquet served in solitude.

http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Some people are "foodies" and some aren't. [huh]

I like to try new dishes and have had some awesome meals such as the the tasting meals the chef at Piero Salvaggio's Valentino at the Venitian in Las Vegas puts together. :eusa_clap

It it would almost be a Twilight Zone episode punishment to have the most fantastic meals and not get to share it or talk about it with anyone.:eek:

dr greg

One Too Many
early start

I try to ensure that every sunday I have caviar and camembert crepes for breakfast and have done so for 30 years or more...hard to do while travelling it's true, but local Tasmanian Salmon Roe is nearly as good as the Russian stuff, or at about $60 a kilo, will do, so not impossible, but the finest food in the world?..Qld mud crabs..beyond doubt in my experience, and I've had wagyu beef and venison with truffles etc etc...have a fresh one steamed and tear it apart slugging on ice cold beer....it doesn't get any better.

Elaina

One Too Many
I don't eat any different out then in, to be honest. The most elaborate meal I've ever had, I made myself, and I'm planning on having the last dinner served aboard the Titanic as a dinner party if I can ever find some friends that have enough class/taste (whatever you want to call it. Some of them the idea of a dinner party is beer, BBQ and football) that want to come.

I eat pretty much the same thing all the time when I'm by myself, and when the kid isn't here: cereal or eggs, although if I'm honest, I forget to eat half the time, and food is not one of those things that is really important to me. Only when it's a special occasion and even then I'd prefer to make it, not really eat it. Even going out, most of the time it's the same 2 eggs and toast lol

At least one meal at every restaurant featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives... and one at every "fly-in" restaurant in the country. (Usually at small airstrips, we in aviation once called 'em "hundred dollar hamburgers" because of adding plane rental and fuel costs.)

Fort Wayne coneys and Philly cheesesteaks... these being expensive 'cause of the costs to fire up a Lear or Gulfstream and go get 'em from the Upper Left Coast.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
What food would you treat yourself to once a week, if it wouldn't blow your food budget?

I would go for American lobster, homarus armericanus.

Me too. Homarus americanus, or homarus australianus (do you say homarus australianus? ... well never mind l:p ) Omg!!! I adore lobster! :D I could eat it everyday and never get tired of it! :D As a matter of fact if lobster was all i could eat for life, I'd die a happy woman, big smile on my face! :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Steak. Nice rare steak.

Almost went with beef tongue or corn beef but in the end steak won.

Of course I've never had lobster and don't intend to, so that could affect my vote. :)

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Good question!

Duck...duck...goose!

And good champage always chilling in the fridge, for anytime I want it. One of my favorite indulgences is to crack open an icy cold bottle of Vueve Cliquot on the hottest day of the year.

Edited because I forgot the chocolate: an ever present box of either See's or Godiva, alternating weekly because I like them equally well.

One thing would be to try a different top notch 5 star restaurant each week. In the past I have had the chef's special tasting meal with paired wines and that can be a real treat. Checking out what a different chef comes up with on a weekly basis would be pretty eclectic.

I must admit that if money were no object...right this very minute...I would have a table setting(for 3) of good ole Charleston,SC creamy "Low Country" Shrimp&Grits...wilted lettuce salad with bleu cheese&bacon...pan of peach cobbler...and a tall carafe of sweet tea..immediately flown in to the chilly overcast outback of Indiana. Nothin fancy...but ah so good.
HD

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Ah, the simple pleasures of being a vegetarian Buddhist. No meat, no seafood, no dairy, no alcohol. Every meal is simple, and enjoyed to the fullest.

Foofoogal said:
A crust that's shared is finer food than a banquet served in solitude.
What a lovely saying! I shall commit it to memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn