Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could live/move anywhere right now, where would it be? Why?

juup

New in Town
I live thirty miles from where I was born and grew up, and other than six months spent in California, I've been in this area all my life. And I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. I was here before the gentrifiers came along and I'll be here after they get tired of being cold and go back where they came from.

I love maine. I moved there in 95 and stayed as long as employment would allow. My job transferred me to Albuquerque, but i still think of the rocks at Goose Rocks and the tide pools in Wells. Miss taking my scouts to Camp Hinds in Raymond. Maine is the best part of America, i'd move back if they joined Canada

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Basically, anywhere in Appalachia would be OK. For the uninitiated, draw an oval on the US from WV running Southwest to Northeast AL and Northwest GA. Eastern boundary is along the line of Lynchburg, VA and Asheville, NC. Western would probably be between Hazard, KY and Lexington, KY running South to Rockwood, TN and Bridgeport AL in the extreme Southwest.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Basically, anywhere in Appalachia would be OK. For the uninitiated, draw an oval on the US from WV running Southwest to Northeast AL and Northwest GA. Eastern boundary is along the line of Lynchburg, VA and Asheville, NC. Western would probably be between Hazard, KY and Lexington, KY running South to Rockwood, TN and Bridgeport AL in the extreme Southwest.

I wouldn't say "anywhere." I live in an area that is considered part of Appalachia on it's western edge, and it's not all that great--poor, high unemployment, not much going for it culture-wise. I won't disagree that there are much nicer areas within Appalachia, though!

Cheers,
Tom

Wojo

Familiar Face
A little farmhouse on 40 or so acres, a couple of outbuildings. Mountains off in the distance, viewable from the front porch. Ample areas to fish and hunt with the kids. Must have the four seasons so we can enjoy snow for Christmas, the beauty of spring and autumn, and the fun that summer offers.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I really don't have much disire to live abroad, unless it was a nice little village by the sea, somewhere, but only if they spoke English. But frankly, I fell in love with Wyoming, on a visit, so I would like to live there in the warmer part of the year, or Montana, but when the snow flys, I would be ready to go south, to maybe the Texas Hill Country, as I like the people down there, or maybe some parts of Florida by the ocean, but wherever I've been, I hated the city, and I hated the traffic, so give me a spot in Rural America with small towns, and low population, and mostly a place where I won't feel out of place in a pair of cowboy boots and a Stetson or Resistol with a 4 inch brim.

djd

Practically Family
A nice penthouse flat in central London. I miss London - great city but a pain to commute if you dont live centrally.

I stand more chance of growing wings

Edward

Bartender
A nice penthouse flat in central London. I miss London - great city but a pain to commute if you dont live centrally.

I stand more chance of growing wings

Much as I love the East End, my fantasy is to own one of those big, Art Deco buildings on the Thames, the one with the clock, opposite Waterloo Station. I'd turn the top floor into a massive penthouse complex, and lease the remaining floors out commercially to provide an income.

I'm not sure I could see myself settling permanently anywhere other than London, though were I ever to become mega-rich, I'd maintain apartments in several other cities which I like to visit but couldn't live in full time. This would include NYC (somewhere overlooking Central Park would be nice, though I'd very happily settle for the apartment in which I holidayed in 2004, on the 42nd floor of a nice block in West 57th street, if memory serves - a block from the Hard Rock Cafe), Boston (Cambridge area), Belfast and Berlin (centrally, on the East side, of course).

Rosedown-Plantation.jpg

djd

Practically Family
@Edward - I think I fantasise about living the life of Simon Templar, Albert Campion or Bulldog Drummond... One of those stylish between-the-wars slueths with a pad in Picadilly or Mayfair (with my club in easy walking distance). I was at university in central London and just love the place (mind you, my wife would hate it).

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, plus 1 on Dave's idea. I used to live in Decatur AL back in the 1990's and loved it. Beach is 6 hours away, Atlanta is 3 hours away, and there's tree's, BBQ, and seafood.

Later

Hatsquad

New in Town
Two choices, I love them both...............Boerne, Texas (small town north of San Antone, in the Hill Country , friendliest people I've ever met) and Bozeman, Montana. Canada is okay in the summer, but way too much winter.
Gerry

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
(1) Just about anywhere in France, though Savoy ranks very high...

(2) If I spoke German, just about anywhere in Austria would be dandy...

(3) Just about anywhere in New Zealand would be lovely...

(4) Could settle for Northwest, Rockies or New England in the US as long as close to mountains, tall trees, nice falls, cold weather, and not too far from civilization...

(5) Any other places where the above criteria were met...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran