Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If You Could Meet The Original Owner

WH1

Practically Family
WH1 said:
I would like to know more about a Mr. E.B. Crane who purchased a set of evening dress from William Kuist Co. in Spokane, Washington on 16 April 1910.

I purchased them at a Goodwill store the week before Halloween in 1983 for $2.50. It would be interesting to know who Mr. Crane was and what he did.

This thread got me thinking and I google both E.B. Crane and William Kuist. I found the following news article on Kuist. kind of interesting. It would be interesting to see the suit that $46 got you in 1904.

Plays Havoc With Business Men in Spokane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T.L. Stewart came to town at the beginning of the week and departed rather hurriedly yesterday with some $200 in money and merchandise packed up from Spokane merchants during his brief stay. Mr. Stewart claimed to be the active member of the firm of Flint, Burbridge & Co., which will put in a large merchandise store at Leavenworth, Washington.

His victims do not at all deny the fact that he was active. Mr. Stewart was a rather shabby looking individual when he drifted into Spokane, but he easily explained the condition of his apparel by saying that he was a survivor of the 'Clallam'. Though Stewart's stay in Spokane was short, it was meteoric enough. Some of the startling things that he did were to deposit $12,000 worth of drafts on New York with the Exchange National Bank, give sworn statements to Bradstreet's that he was worth $60,000, buy $90,000 worth of dry goods from J. Dupuy, who represents a large eastern house, negotiate with John W. Graham for a large stock of stationery, arrange to buy a big stock of hardware from Holley, Mason, Marks & Co., dicker with several big grocery firms, get a suit of clothes and $15 from William Kuist, the tailor. Stewart passed a worthless check for $61 on William Kuist, received $15 and a suit of clothes in return. Yesterday morning Kuist took the check to the bank and it was declared to be worthless. Kuist immediately started on Stewart's trail, but lost it and the swindler got off.

Rosie

One Too Many
Chanfan said:
One of my friends was at a garage sale, and ended up acquiring a book that he had lent out. The friend he had lent it to had again lent it to the garage sale purveyor.

There was his name, on the inside cover. He didn't have to pay for it, at least!

That's kind of cool.

I often wonder about the women who have owned the items I've purchased. I have a pill box engraved with "for Meg". I often wonder about her. Most of my items make me wonder about the owner, especially when I get an item that still has their smell on it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a question ...

Would you like to meet the people who have gotten the clothes you've given away to thrift shops? Not really, no.

A related question ...

Do you think that the original owners of your vintage clothes would like to meet you?
I don't think they would really care one way or the other.

No, and no.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I own a silver mesh purse from the turn of the century. I actually found a picture of the original owner with the same purse. If you look closely, you can see the purse in her lap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/theitgirl/Stella.jpg

The purse is engraved with her name, Stella Jane Denny. My mother used to help out an elderly woman who, through some form of cosmic kismet, we found out was related to Stella. She owned the original version of this picture and let me make a copy. The picture was taken in 1908 on Stella's honeymoon. As you can see from their dress, they were a well-to-do couple. I often wonder what the husband did for a living. I wouldn't mind meeting Stella!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Are you the same BeBopBaby that used to buy lots of incredible vintage '40s and '50s stuff on eBay? About 7 years ago?

Sorry, I can't say that I am. I wish I could, especially if it meant getting my hands on some of the eBay booty you mention. lol

Mojito

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
I own a silver mesh purse from the turn of the century. I actually found a picture of the original owner with the same purse. If you look closely, you can see the purse in her lap

That's amazing, BeBopBaby! Really makes you think that somes things are meant to be. I think she'd be pleased with the bag having found a home with someone who could appreciate it.

Here's the dress I mentioned above...both with original owner (needs re-scanning to show details) and with me:

Venusflapper.jpg
CIFlappers-1.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting stories, especially the one about the tub. I don't think the original owner of the clothing you now own may necessarily care, but it would make a great conversation starter. "You know...I had a suit exactly like that 50 years ago....".

The suit I have has someone's name in it. I wouldn't mind asking about it. Where and when he may have gotten it. Perhaps he was not a wealthy man, and could say what he had to do to get a suit in general. Not everyone could afford clothing, let alone anything else. It would make an interesting discussion on how they acquired the item.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
If I could meet the original owners of anything I have, I would merely thank them for taking good enough care of it, that care that made it last until it got into my hands.

Although I do secretly want to know if Ray and Hilda were married...or got married....

Ray gave Hilda a lovely Elgin Compact with an Army insignia on it.....and their names engraved on the inside.....I am holding it for them ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My 1933 Buescher New Aristocrat alto saxophone was for many years played by Bernadette Peters' uncle, a club date musician in Brooklyn. I'd like to have met him and told him what a great time I've had playing his horn – it's been the envy of all who hear it.

I have a penciled manuscript score, blank Christmas cards and a few old photos from orchestra leader Joe Haymes, as well as some very beat up 78s that once belonged to Mike Doty and "Long" John Langsford, both sax players with Haymes in 1931-33. It would have been great to meet those guys and talk about the old band days. (I sort of did with Mike - I have tapes of an interview with him from the 70s.)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My favorite dress right now is a hand-made late 30's frock that's absolutely gorgeous. I would love to ask the owner why they made it, why they chose the fabric, and how exciting it was when it was all finished. And when the first time they wore it out was. It seems like such a sweet, flirty dress that I imagine the owner was a young woman and wore it to impress her sweetheart.

Or maybe that's just because the first time I wore it was on my Valentine's Day picnic with my boyfriend.

I'd love to know the real story behind the piece.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
THE OLD STUFF

All my vintage clothes are handed down from my old man. They look great but, when I wear them I see him , not me. I think It would be the same with other peoples stuff.

Rosie

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a question ...

Would you like to meet the people who have gotten the clothes you've given away to thrift shops?

A related question ...

Do you think that the original owners of your vintage clothes would like to meet you?

I actually did see a woman wearing an old baby blue bubble coat of mine that I did donate to the good will in my neighborhood. I didn't of course tell her it was my coat. It was slightly too big for her.

I've often thought of that. Maybe the original owner wouldn't want me wearing their garb however, I've never felt any negative vibes while wearing the clothes. Nothing bad has ever happened while I was wearing anything. [huh]

Rosie

One Too Many
Mojito said:
That's amazing, BeBopBaby! Really makes you think that somes things are meant to be. I think she'd be pleased with the bag having found a home with someone who could appreciate it.

Here's the dress I mentioned above...both with original owner (needs re-scanning to show details) and with me:

Venusflapper.jpg
CIFlappers-1.jpg

That is SO cool.

I'd like to talk to Mr. Ralph Kindig to find out if it was his son who got married in February 1940, as listed in the Indiana births, deaths and marriages register. Then i'd ask him if, as it would appear, the suit he had made in January 1940 was worn just that once.

Other than that, i really don't want to talk to the old men who caused "those stains" I invariably have to clean out of my trousers.

bk

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
There was one day that I bought about 60 vintage ties at a local Salvation Army thrift store. Quite a few had tags on the back saying they were custom made for the owner (his name was sewn on the tag). I did a bit of research and found that was a millionaire who had recently died. He was related to the founder of the Morrell Meat Company. One of the ties has images of cranes...or egrets...hand painted with 14 kt gold.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mojito, having both the dress and the picture is really, really wonderful! And you look beautiful in it.

I would not care to meet the original owners of any of my things except one: A book I own that was published in 1830. I'd like to have a talk with the person who jotted in it.

But I'm with BK - I don't care to meet the guy who used to own my pants!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I often wonder who originally owned my vintage clothes, especially my dress from the 1920s. I'm always making up stories about who owned it and what she did in it. Unfortunately, the armpits smell very bad so I make up stories about her doing the Charleston in it all night! :)

And like LizzieMaine, I have a huge movie magazine collection spanning 1912 to 1961 and there is writing in several of my copies! I love it when I get a treasure like that! In some magazines the original owner makes little comments about the stars and the films he or she saw. It's too darling. I also have a copy of the 1924 book Stars Of The Photoplay with a girl's name handwritten in the front (her first name was "Martha", but the last name was indecipherable!) with the date of August 26, 1926. She must have kept that book for a while because all throughout the book she wrote "Died 1940" or "Died 1936" on the pages of stars who had passed. I wouldn't mind meeting these people if it were humanly possible.

I also have a bracelet with the name "Lillie B. Bass" engraved on one side and the initials "LBB" on the other. I wear it often, but have no idea who she was or what era the bracelet comes from. I might be asking in The Powder Room very soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner