Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could own just one Akubra, what would it be?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking of investigating an Akubra in the near future, but like the looks of lot of them -- the gray Federation, the Stylemaster, the Sydney/Fedora and the Campdraft.

Any thoughts on which of these has worked for you?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
My favorite Akubra is....

I have all three colors of the CEO.

ceo-cruisergrey-large.jpg

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Let's see...which one? I currently own a Banjo Patterson in charcoal, a Leisuretime in Regency Fawn, a Coolabah in some medium Fawn, a Federation regular in the light Fawn/Tan (which is actually quite a nice color), and have a light brown Stylemaster on the way. Wow! That's a lot, you might say. Well, other than these I only own a couple of Baily's (a Black Glen and a Dark Brown Baker...both are the sueded fur/wool blend - these are "toss in the truck" hats), and one Biltmore Royal (a style number that's hard to find with a pretty straight crown) in their Black Diamond color. I also have one Fawcett custom being completed even as I write this...should be a killer job! So - not many total hats for this crowd.

So - again - why so many Akubras? Well, most of my hatted activities (like going out of the house) (lol) call for an outdoor style hat rather than a dress style hat. Most of my outside activities (like going to the truck from the house...and then whatever from there) are done in the rain for 9 months of the year (Oregon living). Most of the dollars in my wallet are hard won and I insist on a good value for my buck. All of the above spell Akubra...outdoor styles, pretty wet proof and a great value.

So which...well right now I'm wearing that charcoal Patterson more than the rest but when I get the diamond bash to my liking on the Fed and it sizes inward just a bit, I'm thinking that might be it's equal!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I have the Federation in tawny fawn, grey and black. I keep the black for formal eveningwear out of town, but the grey and fawn are my standard hats for most occasions. For all-purpose wear, I'd say go with the grey Fed.

I've got a couple of Territories as well, but I'm not sure that counts under these circumstances. I've become a big Akubra fan for all the reasons that Blackhorse gave.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
How the fawn "does" for the "bucks"

Sorry, had to get those puns in, deer friends. :p

For the kind of price I've seen, I really like the looks of the fawn-colored Fed and other Akubras, but I've read that sometimes the color bleaches out to a kind of pinkish hue after lots of rain and sun.

Doc and Blackhorse, have you noticed anything to this effect with yours?

Thanks,

Simon"

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Fed Deluxe of course. For the extra $40 or so you get much better, softer felt that takes repeated drenchings, sound thrashings and being pinched, tossed, flopped and generally beaten and still emerges looking spiff.

Besides, the color (brown) goes with anything but a black suit, which you don't need anyway.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Besides, the color (brown) goes with anything but a black suit, which you don't need anyway.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, a black suit is one of the staples of my wardrobe and I wouldn't want to be without one.

If they still made the Fed Deluxe in grey, I'd be on it in a heartbeat. That shade of brown has never looked good on me.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Alright, I'll chime in here -

I own a Federation and, well, I am a bit dissapointed. It's stiff, the sweat band buckled on it when I accidentally sat on it and it has remained gnarled ever since. It's an okay hat.

Now, I recently tried on, in one store, and purchased, on Ebay, the Sydney/Fedora. I like it a lot more - the felt is lighter and more shapable. The crown is high, but not Chrysler Building high, and there is no taper. The felt reminds me of the twice the price contemporary Borsos.

I guess it depends on your tastes and on your physique. The Fed on my head makes me look, well, Lurch-esque with a bit of a Pugsly chin. But that's just me.

For the price ANY Akubra is a good deal, in my humble and uneducated opinion.

Good luck.

jml90

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Fed Deluxe of course. For the extra $40 or so you get much better, softer felt that takes repeated drenchings, sound thrashings and being pinched, tossed, flopped and generally beaten and still emerges looking spiff.

Brown with a charcoal overcoat? I think not.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Four, actually, but that one will only wear a ball cap....dang nonconformist!!! :eusa_doh: We don't like to talk about him anyway...

aliados

One of the Regulars
Only ONE? Good grief, what a depressing thought! As I have only two, I can't select the "best," but I guess it woulod depend on what I intend to wear it with.
I have a gray Federation (too stiff for my tastes, but I've gotten a lot of compliments on it) for dress, and a Squatter for casual wear. I wear suits most of the time, so, if I hadda choose, it'd be the Federation.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
A Hard Choice to Make

I have one fawn Campdraft, which is a great hat, but I've never put it to the severe weather test. It just worked out that way. I love the color, and I wear a great deal of browns, tans, and the like. I also own four (yes four) Federations; Gray, Black, and two Midbrowns. Now, the gray is one snazzy looking hat, but the only one I have worn in a downpour is one of the mid-browns. Softened up great, and is one of the most comfortable hat I own since it got drenched. My only "complaint" is that the color tends to change a lot, and not all at the same time. I've come to see this as "character", and has become my "old trusty" hat. I think I'd liek to get one in Fawn, too. So, after all is said and done, I'd say grab the Federation in whatever color you like best.

NB

Russ

One of the Regulars
Federation

Considering the choices you mentioned, I'd say the Federation, either regular or deluxe. Regarding stiffness, My mid brown regular Federation started out fairly stiff a year ago, but after repeated exposure to water (both rain and spray bottle) and bashing and re-bashing, that hat is the softest hat I've ever owned. Every time I pick it up, I'm amazed at how incredibly soft it is now; hard to believe it's the same hat I bought a year ago. (That's not the Fed in my avatar as of this writing; that one is an Adventurebilt)

It has also lightned up in color during the past year after constant exposure to the sun (it has been my main walking hat) and has taken on a very casual appearance.

The CEO also looks good, but I've never owned one, and can't comment on it.

aliados

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
Featherweight Squatter, dunno if they still make 'em but I've worn out 2 so far.
That's what my gray one is -- got it on eBay. Seems like it'll stnad up to anything. . .
And I had heard that the stiffener will wash out over time. Maybe I should simply "dunk" my Fed. Will the brim still hold it's shape when the stiffener has been washed out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran