Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could solve just one mystery....

Futwick

One of the Regulars
Mabel Crumback, 19, disappeared from her home at 661 Willard Avenue in Toronto on May 28, 1950. She was last seen by her fiancé, Jim Bryan, who left about 12:30 a.m. Her younger brother Garry, 8, awoke in his room and heard her at 2 a.m. talking or arguing with what sounded like two men. He could not make out what they were saying because the dog was barking. People walking by the house at about 2 a.m. said they heard "loud noises" coming from the house and Mabel’s bedroom light was on as was the kitchen light. A side door was open. Mabel’s bed had been slept in indicating that the dog may have awakened her when strangers approached.

A story in the Ottawa Evening Citizen from dated June 10, 1952 stated that on the night of the disappearance, a neighbor heard loud talking or arguing coming from the Crumback house but thought that Mabel was being reprimanded by her parents (who were actually in Detroit for the weekend attending a wedding). Younger brother Gary (the source spells his name with one “r”) is said to have heard loud thumping on the floor and then the cellar stairs (were these the "loud noises" reported by the other witnesses?). There were no signs of violence. The story also stated that Mabel’s mother, given only as Mrs. Sheldon Crumback, believes her daughter is still alive.

Another newspaper account detailed the story of someone who claims to have run into Crumback in the company of a man at a park or campground. Such stories are common in disappearances and not usually credible and this one never panned out. There has been no trace of Mabel Crumback since then.

Missing for 63 years.

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
Archaeologists have discovered a lost civilisation deep in the jungles of Central America. The lost world resembles a "vast tended garden" and lies inland from the Mosquito Coast, an area known for swamps, poisonous plants and vipers that leap at their prey. The area was last explored over 70 years ago by Theodore Morde. The American adventurer and spy emerged from the jungle in 1940, claiming to have found a "lost city of the monkey god" with giant primate sculptures.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/466952/20130512/lost-world-honduras-city-monkey-god-pyramid.htm

Story

I'll Lock Up
Five copper coins and a nearly 70-year-old map with an ‘‘X’’ might lead to a discovery that could rewrite Australia’s history.

Australian scientist Ian McIntosh, currently Professor of Anthropology at Indiana University in the US, plans an expedition in July that has stirred up the archaeological community. The scientist wants to revisit the location where five coins were found in the Northern Territory in 1944 that have proven to be 1000 years old, opening up the possibility that seafarers from distant countries might have landed in Australia much earlier than what is currently believed.

Australian soldier Maurie Isenberg was stationed on one of the islands to man a radar station and spent his spare time fishing on the idyllic beaches. Back in 1944 during World War II, after Japanese bombers had attacked Darwin two years earlier, the Wessel Islands - an uninhabited group of islands off Australia’s north coast - had become a strategic position to help protect the mainland.
While sitting in the sand with his fishing-rod, he discovered a handful of coins in the sand. He didn’t have a clue where they could come from but pocketed them anyway and later placed them in a tin.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/a...ian-history-20130519-2juck.html#ixzz2TprnNyf6

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Japanese Prime Minister needs some Ghostbusters -

Built in 1929, the residence originally served as the prime minister’s office until 2002, when, via a ¥8.6 billion renovation job, it was turned into a residence. Two major coup d’etat attempts — the 5.15 (1932) and 2.26 (1936) Incidents — took place in the compound, resulting in the assassination of a number of government officials and Cabinet members, including then-Prime Minister Tsuyoshi Inukai in 1932. Since then, rumors have circulated among politicians that ghosts haunt the structure.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...g-abe-out-of-official-residence/#.UZ_wF5y-XV9

vintageTink

One Too Many
In 2038 I'll be turning 58.

Just one?

Where do all the socks keep disappearing to?
Why won't my son wear pants? The boy is constantly running out the door in his underwear.

Hitler's death
Black Dahlia
Zodiac killer

hatguy1

One Too Many
I would have to say....

Though I'm not a believer in UFOs, I would like to know just what really exactly happened at Roswell, NM on on July 7, 1947 that sparked the big UFO story.

And if not that, then perhaps solve the Amelia Earhart thing.

Though I'm not a believer in UFOs, I would like to know just what really exactly happened at Roswell, NM on on July 7, 1947 that sparked the big UFO story.

And if not that, then perhaps solve the Amelia Earhart thing.

The heck with that. I want to capture one of the little weasels and get on the evening news saying something like:
"Alright, if there is no such thing as Extra Terrestrials then what the Hell is this?!"
While I hold him up with my hand around his neck shaking him in front of the camera. :p Then again, I want to do the same thing with Bigfoot too. :p

vintageTink

One Too Many
The heck with that. I want to capture one of the little weasels and get on the evening news saying something like:
"Alright, if there is no such thing as Extra Terrestrials then what the Hell is this?!"
While I hold him up with my hand around his neck shaking him in front of the camera. :p Then again, I want to do the same thing with Bigfoot too. :p
When I was 12 we were out in the dark putting up Christmas lights. We lived in the country, 80 acres in Yale, OK.
We looked up and saw this huge triangle shaped "thing" above the trees, blinking back at the Christmas lights. I can still picture it. Parent ran in to get camera, I looked down, looked back up, it was gone.

When I was 12 we were out in the dark putting up Christmas lights. We lived in the country, 80 acres in Yale, OK.
We looked up and saw this huge triangle shaped "thing" above the trees, blinking back at the Christmas lights. I can still picture it. Parent ran in to get camera, I looked down, looked back up, it was gone.
What I wonder about is why people run for a camera. I would run for my Garand or shotgun. :p I want a souvenir to sell to the media. Many years ago, a friend of mine used to tell a tale about a camping trip in which he and another guy were walking out in the middle of nowhere and supposedly came upon a craft that was hovering. No dope involved---he tells me. :p Anyway, they were both carrying .22 rifles and they opened up on the thing. lol lol lol It flew away---fast. :p

hatguy1

One Too Many
What I wonder about is why people run for a camera. I would run for my Garand or shotgun. :p I want a souvenir to sell to the media. Many years ago, a friend of mine used to tell a tale about a camping trip in which he and another guy were walking out in the middle of nowhere and supposedly came upon a craft that was hovering. No dope involved---he tells me. :p Anyway, they were both carrying .22 rifles and they opened up on the thing. lol lol lol It flew away---fast. :p

Something tells me that IF alien technology of that sort exists, a few rounds from something as measly as a .22 wouldn't be much of a threat to it and cause it to take off quickly.

vintageTink

One Too Many
Something tells me that IF alien technology of that sort exists, a few rounds from something as measly as a .22 wouldn't be much of a threat to it and cause it to take off quickly.

That or we'd quickly start an intergalactic war.
The Vulcans won't be around until we achieve warp drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran