Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have to reduce your wardrobe to only 5 items...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well that's reassuring because I have never bought a denim item in my life. My idea of dress down day is to take the neck tie off and wear a cravat instead.

I wear jeans all the time - I just don't care about them.

A cravat... really?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A cravat... really?
Really.
hats 039.JPG
And just for good measure, will this put the cat among the pigeons or what? I have this:
old photos 073.JPG
The sheepskin collar is detachable, however, look carefully at the label. Guilty secret or not, I prefer it to my:
old photos 100.JPG old photos 099.JPG
As I advised someone else in another thread, my life, my money, my choice.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me:

Speedo swimming shorts (pics are out there)
Nike trainers
Slazenger Sports Pants
Schott MA-1 (Thin nylon outer & paper thin lining..broken zipper)
Stetson Cap

Alternatively:

Pike Canvas Pants
Regent Brogues
ELC RW A-2
Stetson Cap
SJC Silk Neckerchief

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Let's see...
My favorite pair of Levi jeans.
A white undershirt
My green and red light flannel.
My brown Donegal Tweed cap.
My Carolina Logger boots.

Yep, that'd about do it I think.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Role club black hh engineer boots
Iron Heart 1955s jeans
Mister Freedom button up
Hollywood Trading Company peanut belt
Himmel Bros avro d pocket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I had several silk cravats when I was very young. I never had occasion to wear them but I gave them to a friend who still uses them. Older men still wore them at 'artsy' functions or soirées when I was in my twenties. I've not see one in the wild in years.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I had several silk cravats when I was very young. I never had occasion to wear them but I gave them to a friend who still uses them. Older men still wore them at 'artsy' functions or soirées when I was in my twenties. I've not see one in the wild in years.
Decades ago, before we had a liberalising of our alcohol licensing laws, pubs were only allowed two hours of opening at lunch times on Sundays. Noon until two. The Sunday evening hours were restricted too, but the busiest pub hours of the week was those two Sunday lunch hours, it was manic.

Those two hours was also 'the best dressed' hours. Many timed their church service so that they could come out of church and go straight into the pub. I remember that although hat wearing was in decline, cravats were the choice of many, and you had to have a cravat pin. Cravats by and large are made of silk, a material that slips easily. To hold the tied cravat in place you pushed a decorative pin through it. There was an elegance about the cravat that just struck me, but it was then, as you pointed out, worn by the older generation. i'm surprised that Carnaby Street didn't pick up on it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree with @ButteMT61 that this is completely impossible, but if I had to, it would be this:
L9A3SMf.jpg

jacket: Himel Grizzly
shirt: Stevenson Overall Co. loopwheel henley
jeans: Conner's Sewing Factory WWII denim
belt: Hollow's leather belt
boots: Clinch horsehide engineer boots

Aero j106 *
Ironheart 634s OD*
Leather Chuck Taylors*
T-shirt (cheap)*
Good 'ol leather belt (cheap)*

* = subject to change