Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have to reduce your wardrobe to only 5 items...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Indeed. I've long been stumped by the idea of what I want to be buried in. Just in case I get to the otherside and find that's what I have to wear for all eternity..... ;)
I wish you hadn't said that. Soon I am going to have a hip replacement operation, my surgeon explained what's what about the procedure, adding that I must be absolutely sure I want it done. He went on in a jocular vein. "We lose one in two hundred on the operating table, half of one percent. So if you arrive at the pearly gates and St Peter is checking his clipboard to see if you can come in, you going to think: some result, that."
So whichever way I go, will I spend all eternity in an operating gown?

Edward

Bartender
I wish you hadn't said that. Soon I am going to have a hip replacement operation, my surgeon explained what's what about the procedure, adding that I must be absolutely sure I want it done. He went on in a jocular vein. "We lose one in two hundred on the operating table, half of one percent. So if you arrive at the pearly gates and St Peter is checking his clipboard to see if you can come in, you going to think: some result, that."
So whichever way I go, will I spend all eternity in an operating gown?

Let's hope not - I don't imagine it'd be fun doing everything one-handed for eternity in order to protect your dignity by keeping the back closed! ;)

Goodl uck with the procedure - I've been told by doctors over the years that going in to these things with a sesne of humour is actually hugely beneficial for recovery.... Don't forget to see if they will let you take the hip bone they remove home with you. Roald Dahl did, and he had his varnished and kept it on his desk as a paperweight for the rest of his life.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Let's hope not - I don't imagine it'd be fun doing everything one-handed for eternity in order to protect your dignity by keeping the back closed! ;)

Goodl uck with the procedure - I've been told by doctors over the years that going in to these things with a sesne of humour is actually hugely beneficial for recovery.... Don't forget to see if they will let you take the hip bone they remove home with you. Roald Dahl did, and he had his varnished and kept it on his desk as a paperweight for the rest of his life.
@GHT if you decide to keep your femoral head, you can prep it in the following way:

Place in a paper cup with hydrogem peroxide H2O2 for 24 hours
Then place in isopropyl alcohol (or ethanol) for 24 hours
Let air dry for 24 hours
Then dip in a cup of varnish
Shake off excess varnish a with latex gloved hand
Then let air dry for 24 hours
Voilà your autogenous paperweight is good to go

Last edited:

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Natty cxl viberg service boot
Fjall raven brown belt
Banana rep v neck t
Levis 501 black
Hmm ole herc denier brown... have aero cafe fqhh coming so subject to change. Also thinking of ordering plainsman in... something. Anyone have thoughts on plainsman for winter jacket?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
@GHT if you decide to keep your femoral head, you can prep it in the folloowing way:

Place in a paper cup with hydrogem peroxide H2O2 for 24 hours
Then place in isopropyl alcohol (or ethanol) for 24 hours
Let air dry for 24 hours
Then dip in a cup of varnish
Shake off excess varnish a with latex gloved hand
Then let air dry for 24 hours
Voilà your autogenous paperweight is good to go
Thanks for that, will my new boner impress my missus though?

BobJ

Practically Family
Since the OP said "reduce" your wardrobe, I have limited myself to items that I already have and wear regularly.

One of my flat caps:
TrinityTweedgreen%2540lead__10145.1433468736.560.850.jpg

My only leather jacket, a 30s halfbelt (mine's in well worn, well patinaed seal jerky hh):
51953871cf12e86f_30HB%20-500.jpg

This is how the leather is aging, and looks:
Premiere+ReelzChannel+Kennedys+Arrivals+2TLquVMrftYl.jpg

My favorite t-shirt:
s-l300.jpg

91556545a246774081d3d52a4e7e8ae4.jpg

Filson bridle leather belt:
71EtVwfC0LL._UX385_.jpg

Wrangler comfort fit (grandpa) jeans:

Made in England Dr. Martin brogues:
B8.jpg

Yeah, I think I could be comfortable spending eternity in this get-up. :D

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
This thread is great, I’m officially reviving it.

Choosing only five items is impossible since you need to have a lighter jacket for warmer weather and a warm winter coat for the freezing cold of winter. But if I had to choose only five items to wear for the next six months it would be

Aeromarine
d91edddf1b11d256d2afff11153ba472.jpg

Fjallraven cotton flannel shirt
a301e7902954d43047119135d4082d25.jpg

LVC 1933 501
8c6882ca1b64a5425044c16079e59d14.jpg

Homemade belt
a9ef9bea2f63829d3190f417e506bc82.jpg

Chippewa engineers in cordovan
8cf314de92f8f8942a5a92bcabb2f333.jpg

-1 versatile (padded) winterjacket
-1 versatile fieldjacket for the rest of the year
-1 pair of usual lightweight multifunction-boots
-1 jeans
-1 versatile Sympatex-flatcap

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Jacket/Coat: Freewheelers "Journeyman"
Shirt: Bespoke pullover shirt, Norton & Sons, London
Trousers: Old Town "High Rise" (in Moleskin)
Boots: RM Williams "Comfort Craftsman"
Beret: "Boneteria Audoronesa"

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Jacket: Eastman G-1 for its ease of wearing and versatility
Winter jacket: Early 90s Eastman Irvin
Shirt : Iron Heart check flannel
Jeans: Iron Heart heavy black jeans
Belt : Terry Dear natural quercus belt

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Jacket: Eastman G-1 for it's ease of wear and versatility
Winter jacket: Early 90s Eastman Irvin
Shirt : Iron Heart check flannel
Jeans: Iron Heart heavy black jeans
Belt : Terry Dear natural quercus belt

No shoes [emoji51]

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
If we look at this as five outfits, I think I could do it....

1] Highland dress with Argyle jacket and waistcoat (for evening ear, I prefer the Prince Charlie coatee, but the Argyle is more flexible as it can be worn for both daywear, with a four in hand, and black tie-level evening wear. One could probably also get away with it at white tie functions too).

2] Tweed lounge suit, 3 pc SB

3] A 3pc suit in a hefty, workwear-type fabric, like the SJC Workhouse suit, or one of the Darcy range.

4] A decent pair of late-40s cut jeans in 18oz denim, with leather jacket and a good, hefty Aran sweater

5] A second workwear suit in a heavy cotton drill, khaki coloured.

I think I could just about live with that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's a very agile response to the question, Edward.

I think many here would struggle valiantly to get down to five jackets, let alone five items overall.

The issue for many must be the seasons. Can you really find five items that will work in summer and winter? You probably could down here but not so sure this applies to London or New York. Maybe to LA.

If you didn't include undergarments and socks in this I think I could easily live with 10 items, but if you need special clothing ( a suit or whatever) for a job it's not so achievable. In my own life I doubt I wear more than 6 or 7 items in rotation anyway.

I work with a successful, high functioning man who only owns 2 pairs of jeans,two pairs of sneakers one pair of shoes, 5 shirts, two nylon windbreakers ( I think there is a suit in his wardrobe for events which he wares once a year at most). He owns no sweaters or t-shirts or over coats or hats. He is happy. I really admire his approach.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112