Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If You Were A Vintage Super Hero

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Mr. HFLG,

He wasn't invented in the Golden Age, but he IS from the 1910's. And although he's not a bona-fide superhero, he can fly (with a little assistance) and has an empathic bond with a wolf, which is sort of like a super-power. He's also a gentleman of extraordinary skill and conviction.

I always wanted (and still do want) to be DC Comics' Hans von Hammer, better known as the Enemy Ace...

2066092843_c2cba19366.jpg

...a knight of the sky, a bloody-winged angel duelling in the ashen heavens over no-man's land, saluting my esteemed foes as they fall burning from the Field of Honour, overcome by the fatal chatter of my twin Spandaus...

*snaps out of it* Erm, sorry. :eek:

If I trip and fall into serious money, my first expenditure will be on the construction of a red Fokker Dr.1...

Für Gott und Vaterland,

T.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Four Horsemen???

If you do the Four Horsemen.... You could use a fella like Henry Fonda (Skinny with tattered clothes as in Grapes of Wrath) as "Dustbowl" otherwise known as Famine!!

I would also agree with Edward.... many of the main characters tend to be a dime a dozen, without a good supporting cast!!

carter

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
My question steers more towards your own super hero creation, but being one already on the market is okay too.

When one considers that this thread is nearly 10 months old, it's nice to know that the boundaries aren't too finely drawn regarding what members can post when addressing their personal preferences of super-heroic identy.

Originally posted by
He wasn't invented in the Golden Age, but he IS from the 1910's. And although he's not a bona-fide superhero, he can fly (with a little assistance) and has an empathic bond with a wolf, which is sort of like a super-power. He's also a gentleman of extraordinary skill and conviction.

I always wanted (and still do want) to be DC Comics' Hans von Hammer, better known as the Enemy Ace...

M. Tatterscratch, I'm thinking of the American flyer in WWI who had a large dog and flew for the French in the group of expatriate American Flyers know as the Lafayette Esquadrille. He wasn't German and he was eventually shot down but, a ghostly resurrection of this fellow and his companion, who appear only in times of dire need, would be an interesting character.

Originally posted by Badluck Brody
If you do the Four Horsemen.... You could use a fella like Henry Fonda (Skinny with tattered clothes as in Grapes of Wrath) as "Dustbowl" otherwise known as Famine!!

Badluck, That's a fascinating take on the super-hero group dynamic. Who would the other members of the Four Horsemen be in addition to "Dustbowl" aka Famine?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
The Four Horsemen

The key is to look at what the average person would relate to....

War: The Spartan

Having just finished with WWI and all the horrors/ advancements such as poison gas which were faced... Therefore the first thing which comes to mind is a Doughboy or the average front-line soldier who shoulders the burden of what he has done and what he will be called upon on to do. Hidden behind a gasmask and trenchcoat. Perhaps, (like the Shadow) he can cause bollows of smoke for cover... Armed with perhaps a 1911 and or a trench knife/ bayonet???

Death: The Angel

As with Film Noir, I immediately think about the classic femmes fatale and a kiss of death.... The Angel would be a lovely figured woman in black (as if she has just attended from a funeral)whose "seemingly" beautiful face is forever hidden by a veil which covers just enough of her face to hide her identity... Perhaps her kiss of death is just that... or perhaps to look The Angel in the eyes is to meet your doom??? Perhaps an unbrella type weapon???

Can you tell I've thought of this before???

And to round it all off....?

Pestilence: The Grandfather

It's said that disease, sickness and old-age are sometimes related... I picture a wise (perhaps oriental) gentleman who is somewhat hunched over and walking with a cane...??

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Pestilence

Maybe instead of the Grandfather.. Pestilence could also be a Doctor...or perhaps a Midwife??

Armed with an old walking-stick and a medical bag of the unknown... With a touch that can both cure injuries, then transfer them to evil doers....

carter said:
Badluck, That's a fascinating take on the super-hero group dynamic. Who would the other members of the Four Horsemen be in addition to "Dustbowl" aka Famine?

And that's a problem, there are already Four Horsemen, one of whom participates in the Lounge regularly.

Tatterscratch, I've been looking at building a Fokker myself a while, you might check out http://www.airdromeairplanes.com/Default.asp?page=62 and http://ronsandsreplicas.com/Fokker_DR1_Plans.htm . About $10K and 400 hours of build-time and you can do it...

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Tatterscratch, I've been looking at building a Fokker myself a while, you might check out http://www.airdromeairplanes.com/Default.asp?page=62 and http://ronsandsreplicas.com/Fokker_DR1_Plans.htm . About $10K and 400 hours of build-time and you can do it...

Diamondback, you're a fine fellow! I've seen the Airdrome site, but something seems...off... about their Fokkers. Not just the 3/4 size, but the full-on ships, too. I think I saw a video of one of their ships, and the engine sounded wrong. Do you have any experience with these chaps? Wouldn't want anything that couldn't be used to full extent if I ever bump into that Canadian braggart Brown. Must fly with what the Rittmeister would want us to use...

The Ron's Replicas site looks promising, though, but I think the engine adds about 5000-25000$ to the cost, to say nothing of a set of working replica Spandaus!

The Fedora Lounge Flying Circus - I like it! I was trying to see about taildragger lessons from a local vintage pilot when I was sent here, so we'll see what happens. All my hobbies are running away with me, but this is high on the list (no pun intended)...

Lola!

T.

Edward

Bartender
carter said:
Edward, I think your Librarian would be an ideal shadowy side-kick for Tweedman. Actually the brainpower that gives our rather boring but charismatic hero legitimacy in better circles. Without him, Tweedman, would be just another fancy suit of clothing.

Upon his demise, Tweedman would be hopelessly uninformed and fall into disrepute. Only the emergence of another Librarian would restore Tweedman to his place of eminence among the enemies of evil-doers wherever they appear.

The cats, of course, merely tolerate Tweedman
as mere catnip compared to the Librarian.

lol Sounds good.

So who's my replacement following my untimely demise? I think a woman would be a good choice, though more of a matronly sort who treats Tweedman alternately with some disdain and a more motherly vibe, rather than a Moneypenny type.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
lol Sounds good.

So who's my replacement following my untimely demise? I think a woman would be a good choice, though more of a matronly sort who treats Tweedman alternately with some disdain and a more motherly vibe, rather than a Moneypenny type.

The Librarian's older sister... The HeadMistress. Turning young girls into young ladies by day, thwarting evil by night.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Pestilence & Quatre Chevalier

Badluck Brody said:
Maybe instead of the Grandfather.. Pestilence could also be a Doctor...or perhaps a Midwife??

Armed with an old walking-stick and a medical bag of the unknown... With a touch that can both cure injuries, then transfer them to evil doers....

BB, How about a Faith Healer? That would seem to be a fitting characterization for Pestilence.

DB, Well, there would just have to be another Four Horsemen. The more Horsemen the better!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
lol Sounds good.

Edward, I like It! :)

I'm thinking someone who has her finger on the pulse but falls beneath the notice of dastardly villians. Perhaps the Green Grocer's Wife or the Pie Shoppe Lady. There are all sorts of food possibilities there for weaponry. And...she could keep Tweedman on a proper diet!
:D

Carebear, The Head Mistress seems to be a super hero in her own right. I could see her in tandem with the Nurse from the Infirmary and a female Chauffer ala Wallis Simpson. The Leader, the Medic, and the Logistician. A Triple Threat. And they all can Tango! :D

DW Evans

New in Town
For established heroes I'd say Batman and The Shadow.
But as for my own original character I'd be...

flyboysepiaresizepc4.jpg

Accompanied with a solo-tank jump jet and that of a one kill-a-ton atomic bomb for a helmet, FlyBoy struggles to fight for those who can't necessarily fight for themselves.​

Tatterscratch, I have no hands-on aviation experience of any kind outside museums and acquaintances' little GA birds yet. I do know that the first bird I linked to uses a modern engine rather than original, which are bears to get. I do believe, if he were still around, that even the Baron would consider an "upgrade" if he could get more power, more reliability and better parts-availability...lol

Then again, if he were still around he'd probably want to trade the Fokker in on an F-22, solid red of course...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo