Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm I missing something? Whippet? Really?

RBH

Bartender
Nice hat... Looks like a grey Stetson Temple to me.
But I could be wrong... but I dont think I am wrong as to the high price for this hat.
Whippets have a bound edge.

a Stetson Whippet...

stetson_1950_whippet_01.jpg

A recent Stetson Temple

thumbsup.php

RPeers

One of the Regulars
I agree not a Whippet, I've seen a few auctions for non-whippet, whippets seems like its a good way too drive the price up up up

GWD

One Too Many
I agree, I lodged a complaint about this auction to eBay based on the misleading item description and they did nothing. Whoever bought this hat got ripped off, unless a Temple is worth the same money.

Feraud

Bartender
GWD said:
I agree, I lodged a complaint about this auction to eBay based on the misleading item description and they did nothing.
What exactly should they have done in this case? The fellow used an incorreect term in his auction header.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
The REAL Whippet...

For the sake of history, here is a Whippet from the inventory... Size 6 7/8.

C0000228877_3.jpg

C0000228877_1.jpg

(Moth nibbles on the edge binding.)
C0000228877_2.jpg

C0000228877_4.jpg

And, finally... The gold embossed, cursive Whippet label.
C0000228877_5.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I think most of the people on the lounge, as well as other individuals knowledgeable in vintage Stetsons can easily point out Stetsons that are not Whippets. As some of the others have pointed out, Whippets have just distinct features (the higher crown, ribbon width, bound brim), makes them so easy to spot. Just have to be careful about what you bid on these days...

GWD

One Too Many
Feraud said:
What exactly should they have done in this case? The fellow used an incorreect term in his auction header.

They should have taken the auction down, I wrote to the seller the day he posted and told him the hat in the photos was not a Whippet. He knew he wasn't selling a Whippet.

It really ticks me off when people intentionally mislead others.

Honesty, Integrity, and Honor are becoming lost values in this world.

GWD

One Too Many
It's a new box...clearly the seller is preying on the ignorant. He was told the hat pictured was not a Whippet.

Feraud

Bartender
GWD said:
It's a new box...clearly the seller is preying on the ignorant. He was told the hat pictured was not a Whippet.
What? Told by who? An expert from the Lounge? :rolleyes:

I agree it is not a Whippet. Just found it odd to report it to ebay. There is little evidence he tried to intentionally mislead anyone. It may have been an innocent mistake. Plenty of members here are unsure of what constitutes a Whippet. They can easily mistake one model hat over another.
That one word in the title is incorrect but there were enough pictures and text to show it's true nature.

Anyone who is hunting a Whippet would probably not have been fooled by that one. Bidding wars happen.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
They should have taken the auction down, I wrote to the seller the day he posted and told him the hat in the photos was not a Whippet. He knew he wasn't selling a Whippet.

Did you get a reply from the seller?

Funny--eBay's been making all these changes that they claim are to make things safer for the buyer. Maybe not.

Personal opinion only--if a seller knows enough to use a specific popular model name in a title when that model name does not appear anywhere on the hat then the hat is being intentionally misrepresented.

One caveat to that last. It seems to me that I have a vague memory of coming across a more recent Stetson that did not have the usual Whippet logo but did say Whippet for the model name on the paper tag inside the sweatband. It struck me as odd, just as the Whippet I have with the stingy 1 7/8" brim and 1 5/16" ribbon strikes me as being out of character. Darned if I can find it after a brief search, though.

But... if the seller knew enough to look under the sweatband for more info and found a label with Whippet as the model name you'd think that would have been one of the photographs in the listing.

Regards,
Tom

GWD

One Too Many
Feraud said:
What? Told by who? An expert from the Lounge? :rolleyes:

I agree it is not a Whippet. Just found it odd to report it to ebay. There is little evidence he tried to intentionally mislead anyone. It may have been an innocent mistake. Plenty of members here are unsure of what constitutes a Whippet. They can easily mistake one model hat over another.
That one word in the title is incorrect but there were enough pictures and text to show it's true nature.

Anyone who is hunting a Whippet would probably not have been fooled by that one. Bidding wars happen.

He was told by me the day he listed the hat that the photos of the hat in his auction were not of a Whippet Hat. He never responded to my message. I don't think the auction would have gone that high if the word "Whippet" wasn't in the title. (Speculation? Yes). Am I an expert? No. But I do have 3 Whippets in my collection. I never accused him of deception in my email, just that the photo's did not depict a Whippet Hat. I reported it to eBay when the price reached $100. I just didn't think it was right that a misrepresented item was being sold to someone who might not know the difference. If it was a mistake by the seller, he or she could have re-listed the item with the correct description.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny you should mention this....

Tango Yankee said:
Did you get a reply from the seller?

Funny--eBay's been making all these changes that they claim are to make things safer for the buyer. Maybe not.

Personal opinion only--if a seller knows enough to use a specific popular model name in a title when that model name does not appear anywhere on the hat then the hat is being intentionally misrepresented.

One caveat to that last. It seems to me that I have a vague memory of coming across a more recent Stetson that did not have the usual Whippet logo but did say Whippet for the model name on the paper tag inside the sweatband. It struck me as odd, just as the Whippet I have with the stingy 1 7/8" brim and 1 5/16" ribbon strikes me as being out of character. Darned if I can find it after a brief search, though.

But... if the seller knew enough to look under the sweatband for more info and found a label with Whippet as the model name you'd think that would have been one of the photographs in the listing.

Regards,
Tom
I always "Watch" these Whippets to see what they bring in. I was watching this exact hat in question....when I went back a day or 2 later to check on it.....Poof, it was no longer listed. :D

On another note, I also seen a "so called Whippet", about 2 or 3 weeks ago and noticed that it wasn't a Whippet at all. I emailed the seller asking them if they knew that it wasn't a Whippet that they were advertising/listing? They said they had no idea and that they had no experience in hats at all. They thanked me for pointing it out and said they were going to make the changes to the listing. I checked back on it the next day, and sure enough, it was listed different & only sold for $28.

So, sometimes it is an honest mistake & all you need to do is ask, I understand that you did ask that seller if they knew, and when you got no answer back, and the hat/auction miraculously disappeared.....then I would say he might've known. :rolleyes: IMHO.

GWD

One Too Many
bolthead said:
I always "Watch" these Whippets to see what they bring in. I was watching this exact hat in question....when I went back a day or 2 later to check on it.....Poof, it was no longer listed. :D

On another note, I also seen a "so called Whippet", about 2 or 3 weeks ago and noticed that it wasn't a Whippet at all. I emailed the seller asking them if they knew that it wasn't a Whippet that they were advertising/listing? They said they had no idea and that they had no experience in hats at all. They thanked me for pointing it out and said they were going to make the changes to the listing. I checked back on it the next day, and sure enough, it was listed different & only sold for $28.

So, sometimes it is an honest mistake & all you need to do is ask, I understand that you did ask that seller if they knew, and when you got no answer back, and the hat/auction miraculously disappeared.....then I would say he might've known. :rolleyes: IMHO.

Hey Bolt,

This auction went all the way to the end.

So should eBay remove every auction of, let's say, a Tilley inappropriately listed as a fedora?

Really, anyone who is out looking for a Stetson Whippet knows what one looks like. And if they don't they should do some research and find out before buying on the word of an eBay seller. No? [huh] No-one worth his salt - in terms of knowledge of vintage hats - would buy that hat as an authentic Stetson Whippet. I damn well hope not, anyways.

bk

GWD

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
So should eBay remove every auction of, let's say, a Tilley inappropriately listed as a fedora?

Really, anyone who is out looking for a Stetson Whippet knows what one looks like. And if they don't they should do some research and find out before buying on the word of an eBay seller. No? [huh] No-one worth his salt - in terms of knowledge of vintage hats - would buy that hat as an authentic Stetson Whippet. I damn well hope not, anyways.

bk

I guess trying to do the right thing just isn't the right thing anymore. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the buyer is completely happy. Caveat Emptor!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The bottom line is no one is being forced to buy anything on Ebay. It could be that the person who purchased the hat liked it even though it wasnt a real Whippet. He just wanted a hat. I have seen other hats that were made of wool sell for more online on Ebay than they would at my stores.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

GWD

One Too Many
besdor said:
The bottom line is no one is being forced to buy anything on Ebay. It could be that the person who purchased the hat liked it even though it wasnt a real Whippet. He just wanted a hat. I have seen other hats that were made of wool sell for more online on Ebay than they would at my stores.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I honestly hope you're right Besdor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany