Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm so dang pleased with myself!

flylot74

One of the Regulars
A friend of mine approached me commenting that he really liked the hats I wear and asked about what got me started wearing hats. Indicating my first hat was a Panama for summer, keeping the sun off and how as we are aging, skin cancer is at a high risk, I discussed how I found hats are in keeping one warm in the winter. I then stated that at my age, I felt like Beaver Cleaver in a baseball cap and that fedoras added a bit of style.

Agreeing with me in all these aspects, he indicated that he was interested in getting a nice fedora and asked for my assistance. So, off we went of to Miller Hats here in town. He is now the proud owner of a brown Stetson Temple and a wool blend black and white check fedora, a great start!

While there we also looked at some straws for winter and gave him Panama Bob's web site as well as others (Art Fawcett for one as he loved his work!).

.....Oooooohhhhh.... and I didn't even know I had planted a seed until it sprouted! .....Huh! And I used to think all I was good for was to be used as a bad example! :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
WAYTOGO, flylot!

That's the way ya' do it. I bet there's a lot of people out there who could easily be led to proper hat wearin' if they'd just summon up a little courage and go for what they know looks cool. :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Johnny Hatterseed

I agree with, HPG, flylot74, that is OUTSTANDING!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I wouldn't worry overmuch about being a bad example.
It'll take time away from planting seeds.
Keep right on planting.
Someone will water them for you. ;) :)
;) :)

donCarlos

Practically Family
Good job!

Me and my friend have started the propagation of hats as well - we have already persuaded two people to start thinking about buying a nice hat. I doubt they really will, but still better than nothing :)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Well done Flylot...I'm working on my brother-in-law...He's a basenall cap guy...but he's been over exposed to my collection long enough now....that he's starting to ask hat questions...:eek: :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Well done Flylot...I'm working on my brother-in-law...He's a basenall cap guy...but he's been over exposed to my collection long enough now....that he's starting to ask hat questions...:eek: :D

Why not give him a fedora for Christmas?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Carter...you are so close to my plan...I've already tried the Shudde Bros OR on him...It's his size and he actually couldn't get over how good he looked in it...So I think he's getting it as a present...Just a little more cleaning and tweaking...:eusa_clap
Then...pictures of him in it...:eek: :D

rumblefish

One Too Many
Way to go! I think there's quite a few people who would like to be fedora wearers. Most just need a little guidance.

I have a similar story about my cousin. It started with me wearing straw hats to his pool parties, and left off with me taking him to Bencraft in Brooklyn to get him a Gambler.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
flylot74 said:
So, off we went of to Miller Hats here in town. He is now the proud owner of a brown Stetson Temple and a wool blend black and white check fedora, a great start!

A great start, indeed! I know a few people who really enjoy their Stetson Temples.

BrewCrew

New in Town
I felt like Beaver Cleaver in a baseball cap and that fedoras added a bit of style.
Exactly! It's funny how you can experience a perceptual shift. I put on a baseball cap and I feel like a kid again, and not in a good way.

Well done on converting your friend!

rrog

A-List Customer
A similiar thing is happening to me. I've always wanted to wear a hat, but never had it in me to take the plunge and do it. I never thought I looked good in hats. Some people just seem to be made to wear a hat. I'm not one of them. But I finally decided that I would do it even if I looked like a goofy dork.

This past Sunday at church, a woman and her mom both complimented me on my hats and said I looked good in a hat. One even said she's trying to talk her husband into getting a fedora. Well, as you can see from my avatar, I'm no Brad Pitt! So it cracks me up that I was so afraid I would look funny in a hat, but others have been complimenting me when I wear one. There's nothing special about me that helps me pull it off, except maybe I just reached a point where I don't care what others think and just go with what I like. [huh] But anyway, I enjoy it and if others happen to climb aboard the hat boat, then more power to 'em.

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy