Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imported Coney Fur

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
May lightning from the heavens...

I should think that it's simply rabbit fur from another country. "Coney," is, unless I am mistaken, a slightly archaic or dialectal word for 'rabbit'. Although I have just now read that it can also refer to the Pika. "Imported coney fur," is probably, at any rate, not terrifically special.

barrowjh

One Too Many
We need an expert!!

If my memory is working right, the European hare fur is preferred to our American rabbit fur, so 'imported coney' may have been intended to be a marketing plus. I am not sure whether the hare fur was softer (plush) to the touch, stronger for hatting, or maybe both, but it was (and still is) preferred. It is the primary fur for Winchester's 'stock' felts, and I think they had it in two grades. Not sure whether the 2nd (lower) grade was just a lower grade hare fur, or if it included any American rabbit fur.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It may just be my mood but this , in my opinion, is only a sales pitch. yes, European hare is preferred over domestic but good grief, it's STILL rabbit.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Interesting! However, I wonder about the practicality of obtaining fur from the chinchilla-sized coney. I noticed that the Hare article contained one pic of a 'coney' type Hare. It would seem more practical to begin the fur process with the larger pelt, than with a great pile of itty bitty chinchilla-sized pelts.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:
Interesting! However, I wonder about the practicality of obtaining fur from the chinchilla-sized coney. I noticed that the Hare article contained one pic of a 'coney' type Hare. It would seem more practical to begin the fur process with the larger pelt, than with a great pile of itty bitty chinchilla-sized pelts.

I was wondering about that, too.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
This is from 1929. [scroll down to read the separate pages]
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Given today's business processes, that is a lot of cash tied up for a considerable amount of time = over a year from live creature to fur felt in a hat. $4 million for the 15 million pelts. Interesting! Thanks Lefty.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Slightly OT

The word "coney" is the source of the name of New York's Coney Island. It's Dutch, I believe. I guess there were rabbits there before there were mermaids and roller coasters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy