Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inauguration Parties

ortega76

Practically Family
I'm amazed at the number of invitations I have received for Inauguration parties here in Chicago. Maybe it's a function of the President Elect being the former Senator of Illinois, but I have never been invited to such a party before. I have heard of some folks doing pizza and takeout to watch it on tv. Others are club-packed dance parties.

I am not trying to stray into politics. I am curious to see if this is unique to President Elect Obama's election or have I just missed out on a lot of parties.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ortega76 said:
I'm amazed at the number of invitations I have received for Inauguration parties here in Chicago. Maybe it's a function of the President Elect being the former Senator of Illinois
Yep, it is for the large part a case of 'Local boy made good.' Nationally, Dems are certainly geeked but nothing like Chicago.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I would hazard a guess that whenever there is a Party change in the Executive Office there will be a measure of celebration for the incoming Party. We are having a few folks over, mainly to duck a more auspicious (read: boring) invite with a good excuse. We'll probably tivo the procedings from earlier in the day and raise a glass or two then call it a night. It is, after all, on Tuesday.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten six (!) invitations and while I probably won't get to all of them I'm planning to stop by several of parties. We're all gathering to watch the inauguration ceremony in our conference room during the day at work too. I'm excited to hear Obama's speech since he's such a gifted speaker.

seres

A-List Customer
Rachael said:
......It is, after all, on Tuesday.
I wish the Inauguration would be on a Saturday. Maybe the second Saturday in January? Sort of like Election Day always being on a Tuesday. Then we could party all night!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Do any of our more historically astute Loungers know anything about the history of inauguration parties here in the US? I can imagine there were some humdingers thrown in '33.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think I have ever gotten an invitation to one before this year. But I have heard of 2, formal, with live orchestras for vintage dancing.
I so wish I could be in DC for the real thing, it will be a wonderful day.

Dr Doran

Many parties around here (San Francisco Bay Area) for the inauguration. On Tuesday morning at 730 the inauguration will be broadcast and shown live on a giant screen on campus. Lots of enthusiasts hereabouts for the president-elect and that certainly influences the frequency of parties in a given area.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're showing it on the big screen, and expect a full house. We've announced that free tickets will be given out beginning at 9 am on Tuesday, and I've already had several people tell me they plan to camp out on the sidewalk to be sure to get in. Considering what the temperatures are expected to be, I've suggested they dress warm...

Since announcing this, we've heard from ABC News -- which may be sending a camera crew up as part of their coverage of how Americans are observing the day's events. So check out your local ABC affiliate and you may get a glimpse of me in action -- I'll be the frantic-looking gal with the headscarf, being trampled by the assembled throng.

As for 1933, the mood was far more somber than anything we could imagine today. The entire banking industry -- not just a few banks, but the entire system -- was on the verge of collapse, and most Americans with savings or checking accounts could not access their money. People huddled around radios desperate for some sort of hope, and were in little mood to celebrate. FDR's famous "The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself" speech specifically addressed that. The new President himself refused to attend any Inaugural Ball because there was too much serious work to do. The Inaugural Lunch menu consisted of chicken salad, rolls, coffee, and unfrosted pound cake.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Had my own house party.

Great to see Obama acknowledged GREAT BRITAIN at the Inauguration by having the British National Anthem tune played with Ms Franklin singing along to it. Good to see the US still has a fondness and respect for it's elder mother country ;)

God Bless you Mister President :eusa_clap

Dr Doran

Many of us respect Britain in this country.

I always feel sad when I meet Americans who have no desire to visit England at any point in their lives.

It would be almost as though, when Earth creates colonies on Mars (or another planet, or terraformed it) and people live there for several generations and then some of the descendants of the colonists might say "Oh, why should I bother visiting Earth? I have no interest in it. Everything I need is right here on Mars."

Salv

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Now that wasn't nice.

Keep this non political.

Nice to see Matt showing some integrity. Well done, sir.

It does seem as though the conservative gloves are coming off, and there have been a few bitter political comments on the FL recently. I suppose that as long as their boy is in charge then politics can't be mentioned, but let one of the others in, and even the man in charge here feels free to break the rules.

And yes, you dullards, I know they're his rules but hypocrisy is never an attractive trait.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ha! I always mentally sing God Save the Queen when My Country Tis of Thee is played. I actually teared up at the National Anthem during the ceremony though. It really was a great day.

PADDY said:
Great to see Obama acknowledged GREAT BRITAIN at the Inauguration by having the British National Anthem tune played with Ms Franklin singing along to it. Good to see the US still has a fondness and respect for it's elder mother country ;)

God Bless you Mister President :eusa_clap

Rufus

Practically Family
As foreigner looking in at US politics, I love how enthused people get about the result of elections and the excitement around Inaugurations.

I've heard of many parties on this, and previous Inaugurations, either welcoming, or bemoaning the Victor, and always been secretly jealous of the genuine optimism which people seem to genuinely have towards their elected officials and the system.

If you tried to arrange a similiar event for Election results (We don't have a president..apparently lol ) in the UK, the lack of enthusiasm would be deafening.

I remember being invited by US co workers to parties for Clinton's inauguration, and the mad enthusiasm at them, People cheering, dancing, it was like VE day footage I've seen. :)

I know turn outs are (usually) low in US Elections, but at least there does seem to be genuine grass root debate/interest in your Government.

I only wish we had the same enthusiasm here.

I would love to see how People celebrated/Commiserated even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ