Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Independent Films

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
What is an indepedent film? Plain and simple. It's a low budget film that was not made by a major studio like Warner Brothers, Paramount, Universal, etc. But as of the past few years, these same studios have added independent subsidiaries to produce independent movies and then the major studio is the one to release it. Here's an example of a recent independent film from 20th Century Fox's subsidiary "Waitress".
Miramax is the heavy independent studio, which is now owned by Walt Disney Pictures. In this case, the company wasn't created by a major studio, it was bought by one. Ironic in a way.

What indepedent films do you enjoy?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I thought Disney always owned Miramax. Oh well....

I think of indie films as I do with shopping stores. Studio films are big retail stores, where as indie films are Mom and Pop shops. They may not have the selection of the big places, but their offered quality is often unequaled.

By quality I mean the directors vision, that is not preempted as much by budget, producer's wacky requests, and focus groups. Its about telling the story through the medium of the film making experience, not how well it will translate into DVD sales.

Toutchstone was considered an indie label when it put out its first film, Splash.

Its all relative. Like with Sundance, its only indie when the people who dont matter pay attention to it. lol

As far as indi films I have loved lately Id say 'Station Agent', 'Dogfight', 'Secretary', 'The United States of Leland', and Triblets of Belleville'.

LD

doghouse

One of the Regulars
hmm..

Splatterfarm, Pi, Tetsuo the Iron Man, Meet the Feebles (Peter Jackson, before he hit the big time), Little Shop of Horrors and Bucket of Blood (both by Roger Cormin)

I'll name more later.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
You got me thinking about it now ..

Curdled (On my top 10 list), Hedwig and The Angry Inch, Velvet Goldmine, Johnny Suede, In the Soup (began my twisted crush on Steve Buscemi) .. And what's the deal with "Trouble Every Day"? I finally got a copy, but why was it SO hard to find?

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Is one of my all time favorite films! :D Took me forever to find it on dvd (Before its Tarintino re-release).

LD

I haven't found any other version except for the Tarantino release, but the version I have includes the original Sundance short. Ms Day, the soundtrack is really worth getting, it's a bit of a primer on Cumbia and there's some nice little dialog bits on it :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thora Zine said:
I haven't found any other version except for the Tarantino release, but the version I have includes the original Sundance short. Ms Day, the soundtrack is really worth getting, it's a bit of a primer on Cumbia and there's some nice little dialog bits on it :eusa_clap

:eusa_doh: Youre right. The one I remember at the video store a looooog time ago was a pre Tarantino as far as I recall, but mine is not.

And I do so love the soundtack. Its super fun :)

LD

Naphtali

Practically Family
Another eerie, demanding, compelling movie comes to mind: "Black Robe" (1991). It is a drama of French Jesuits bringing Catholicism to Canadian Indian nations in the seventeenth century.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80