Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones: Bane of Vintage Enthusiasts

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I've never been convinced that it's the Lock & Co. I don't doubt that Downey bought one - he's a hat guy. And at least one Lock hat has shown up in a film of his, as well as in public.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Both Homburgs and Fedoras go back farther than the 1890s. Both are soft felt hats so could be a cross use of terms at times and the styles being European. It is hard to tell from the catalog drawing how much the brim could be minipulated. Regardless a really cool hat that we can only dream about (would be an amazing rare find) at this point.
The name fedora comes from a play in 1882.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Yes I have seen that written. I would say heavily influnced by soft felt Alpen styles.
I am sure that similar hats existed before then, as the character of Fedora was described as wearing a men's hat with a center dent, but the name took a while to apply.

Yeps said:
I am sure that similar hats existed before then, as the character of Fedora was described as wearing a men's hat with a center dent, but the name took a while to apply.

Totally agree! :arated: To bad that hardly any survived. I have only seen pictures from museum collections. I don't believe anyone on here has one from that time period.

Feraud

Bartender
Indiana Jones: Bane of Vintage Enthusiasts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Title eh? Well here is an article about a scary ebay auction and I can only pray for the Poor Stetson Homburg to see what horrors it's facing! http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html

To be fair we've seen a number of vintage enthusiasts destroy many a hat and garment due to stretching and wear.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Edward said:
And at least Indy, fictional or no, was a nice person - something to which Churchill can in no way lay claim. But that another argument for another day, suffice it to say I wear my Homergs despite, not because of, Churchill. ;)
I am sure you know Mr. Jones very well ;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The distinction made earlier about the emulation of fictional and non-fictional characters/people, and the resultant criticism of the former, is a poor one, afaic. Emulation is generally completely neutral, and those that begrudge others for their choice of dress ought to examine where these feelings of hate and/or superiority are coming from. Afaic, if someone is happy dressing like Bozo the Clown, more power to 'em. May not be my thing, but if others wanna, okay.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I was given my first classic fedora by my grandmother in, probably, about 1963. She volunteered with rummage sales for her church and would save some old hats for me.

I bought my first serious vintage hats about 10 years later and two of them are still weekly wears today.

At the same time, I began buying Stetson and Resistol western hats in the mid-70s and some of those ... the Resistols, since Stetsons in that era just didn't hold up well ... have been converted into daily wear fedoras

I continued buying nice old hats when I could, until recently, when the market exploded

But whether I'm dealing with a Whippet that I buy for $200 or a Marathon that I get at the Salvation Army for $5, let's face it, the hat is mine when I've paid for it.

My first fintage hats are still being worn today because I NEVER stopped wearing them. I put a lot of wear on them. But guess what? They are in better shape than if they hadn't sold and ended up in the landfill.

I've seen a lot of huge museums, but there simply are not enough to house all of the nice hats that have been made over the past century

We're not talking about museum pieces. We're talking about head-gear.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Sam Craig said:

I agree wholeheartedly. That said, I am always irked when someone with more money than me buys something only to change it, when I wanted it as is.

Sam Craig said:
I was given my first classic fedora by my grandmother in, probably, about 1963. She volunteered with rummage sales for her church and would save some old hats for me.

I bought my first serious vintage hats about 10 years later and two of them are still weekly wears today.

At the same time, I began buying Stetson and Resistol western hats in the mid-70s and some of those ... the Resistols, since Stetsons in that era just didn't hold up well ... have been converted into daily wear fedoras

I continued buying nice old hats when I could, until recently, when the market exploded

But whether I'm dealing with a Whippet that I buy for $200 or a Marathon that I get at the Salvation Army for $5, let's face it, the hat is mine when I've paid for it.

My first fintage hats are still being worn today because I NEVER stopped wearing them. I put a lot of wear on them. But guess what? They are in better shape than if they hadn't sold and ended up in the landfill.

I've seen a lot of huge museums, but there simply are not enough to house all of the nice hats that have been made over the past century

Are you addressing me? If so my point was the 19th century fedoras or homburgs that have seen are in museums. If you have some from the 19th century please post pictures.

bendingoak

Vendor
I just read this blog that is linked here in this thread. I have to say I doubt very much that someone would pay 200 dollars and strip it down for a Indy hat when they have so many offering for that price rang and they wouldn't have to re-work the hat. I think most people are assuming this hat sold for that purpose. We don't know this for sure.
Is it possible that the hat sold for more $$$$ because it is a common size? I know it is almost impossible for me to buy a vintage hat for a good price that I see a few friends get. They tend to go high and I could make myself a hat for less.

I agree that Indy or any other movie that puts people into hat ( not ball caps) is a good thing.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Are you addressing me? If so my point was the 19th century fedoras or homburgs that have seen are in museums. If you have some from the 19th century please post pictures.

Nope. And not a one ... 19th century, that is

Not unless you count that mid-1800s beaver top hat grandma gave me that I used to play catch with my pit bull, but I was only 10 at the time

Just kidding ... I never owned a pit bull

Seriously, No, I am referring to those same hats we are all wearing daily, even though they are 60 years old

Would I like to pass my favorites on to someone who will care for them when I'm gone? You bet.

Will I wear them day in and out until then? Again, you bet!

When I was a kid, there was a rich kid in our class. Heck, he even had a TV in his bedroom! unheard of!

In his toybox he had a World War I German dress helmet ... Picklegruver, whatever

I remember arguing with him that he ought to put it up on a shelf and take care of it

His grandpa ... who owned a car dealership ... gave it to him AS A TOY!:rage: :rage: :rage:

At 10, I knew that was wrong. But it was still HIS helmet

Sam Craig said:
Nope. And not a one ... 19th century, that is

Not unless you count that mid-1800s beaver top hat grandma gave me that I used to play catch with my pit bull, but I was only 10 at the time

Just kidding ... I never owned a pit bull

Seriously, No, I am referring to those same hats we are all wearing daily, even though they are 60 years old

Would I like to pass my favorites on to someone who will care for them when I'm gone? You bet.

Will I wear them day in and out until then? Again, you bet!

When I was a kid, there was a rich kid in our class. Heck, he even had a TV in his bedroom! unheard of!

In his toybox he had a World War I German dress helmet ... Picklegruver, whatever

I remember arguing with him that he ought to put it up on a shelf and take care of it

His grandpa ... who owned a car dealership ... gave it to him AS A TOY!:rage: :rage: :rage:

At 10, I knew that was wrong. But it was still HIS helmet

Thanks for the clarification. I wear my vintage hats although the finer - rarer - older ones I am very careful with. If I found a 19th century soft felt fedora or homburg I would be very happy just looking at it. :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah, I owned a century old collapsable silk topper years ago

New condition

Originally sold in Germany and it was in the original box, too ... you stored it flat. It looked like a shirt box

Beauty of a hat ... but absolutely tiny

I finally sold it to a lady for an antique collection and got a hat I could wear, even if I had to be careful with it.

I recently was given a mint Stetson Whippet by an elderly woman ... it had belonged to her father-in-law and she held onto it for years. I do wear it, but I see it as a real tribute that this lady would trust me with this beautiful piece of history ... at least her history ... and it deserves to continue to be well cared for and passed on to another collector in another 30 years.

If another motion picture like ROTLA gets yet another generation interested in maintaining great hats, so be it.

Sam

Edward

Bartender
Mr E Train said:
A homburg is definitely the type of hat I could see Holmes wearing, although I'm not sure if he ever did. What was he wearing in the movie, a bowler? I haven't seen it yet, although I want to. When the movie came out I was kind of ticked off that Downey Jr. wasn't wearing a deerstalker cap, but it was actually more faithful to the character for him not to, because Holmes only wore one on limited occasions, usually when out in the country.

If memory serves (it's been a while...), Conan Doyle never mentioned a deerstalker directly.... The illustrations show Holmes appropriately dressed for each situation in which he is depicted - top hat with white tie for the opera / orchestra, appropriate daywear, etc. The deerstalker being properly country wear, Holmes was only ever depicted wearing it in such situations. It was the movies which changed that.... I've long wondered why that was the look they settled on as the quintessential Holmes... Was, by any chance, Hound of the Baskevilles, set, of course, on a country estate, the first big successful filmed story, creating an expected 'look' for the character in much the same way that the 'disposable' jacket and hat from Raiders became the iconic Jones look?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
. I've long wondered why that was the look they settled on as the quintessential Holmes... Was, by any chance, Hound of the Baskevilles, set, of course, on a country estate, the first big successful filmed story, creating an expected 'look' for the character

That has always been my impression. I found it odd to see a guy wandering about the city dressed like he was going hunting, but I figured it was symbolic of Holmes always, in a way, being "on the hunt." [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters