Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
My only complaint about the TV spot is that it doesn't feature this signature sound effect when Indy throws a punch:

(This sound effect wasn't in the trailer, either.)

Faux Brummell

Familiar Face
I'm also curious about the rest of it. I noticed last week that Wested are already offering on their website a Dial jacket and shirt. The shirt is similar to the original, but plainer: only the chest pockets have the pleat:

View attachment 479449

Wested's traditional Indy shirt for comparison:

View attachment 479450

The jacket looks interesting - more like their Raiders model than the Crusade / Skull jacket:

View attachment 479451

https://wested.com/en-us/products/the-indy-destiny-jacket

No idea whether they are just ahead of the game or they have some connection to the production. It'd be nice if they did make the film jacket, but I rather expect suppliers for this project will have been dictated much more by finances than any sort of sentimentality.
Here is what I found....

Who made the hats for Indiana Jones 5?

''The hat was designed by Anthony Powell and Joanna Johnston, the film's costume designers, based on Deborah Nadoolman Landis' original hat design for Raiders of the Lost Ark, and made by Herbert Johnson Hatters in London.''
https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1322673

It looks like that quote was regarding the Last Crusade hat. I know Adventurebilt made the Crystal Skull fedoras but I can’t find anything sbout the Dial of Destiny hats.

Edward

Bartender
Brief article with director James Mangold discussing themes in Indy 5:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...f-destiny-indiana-jones-age-story-1235320013/

As much as I enjoy Spielberg, I believe he may have been right to pass the baton to Mangold, if only to give the series a fresh perspective. :)

I think he's a great choice for this sort of thing. Sure, look at how Marvel tried and never quite hit the mark with their solo Wolverine films - until this guy did Logan. I know much of the Indy fanbase had an absolute tantrum about the merest suggestion Indy might die or pass on the baton in this, but if they have the nerve to let this guy work it up the way he did Logan, it'll be really quite something.

Now, far from perfect as it was, I quite liked Skull - I know it's considered the 'George Lucas Prequels' of the franchise by many - but I do believe it can be far surpassed. Definitely some fresh but sympathetic thinking will, I think, have a real chance of outperforming what Spielberg and Lucas managed with IV.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Time waits no man, and Ford has also seen his best days with Jones. As I mentioned earlier, while in New York I caught a televised episode featuring an older retired octogenarian Indy set inside a museum, recalling an early adventure in 1917 Russia. A wonderful example of the fabled man's character combined with artistic imaginative craft. I surely don't wish to see Indy pass or become another Dr Whosits, but the issue cannot wait indefinitely either. Just a penny pitched curbside.

Edward

Bartender
(Interesting to note the line about 'you've made mistakes' and recovered.... I wonder if that's an in-joke at the expense of the backlash against Crystal Skull? )

Edward

Bartender
That does look promising.

I will have to watch it again a few (dozen) more times to be sure.

Ha.... I'm using the bank holiday to catch up on some marking, but I think this evening I'll make a point of pulling it up on Youtube on the big TV....

The last couple I've watched over and over. This has a few new clips, including incorporating the retirement thing. I wonder what the deal with Marion will be. Will she be 'there' but not much involved in the action - or is it going to turn out to be a plot point that she has died at some point between 1957 and 1969, leaving Indy on his own, and helping to explain his deciding it's time to hang up the hat and retire?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
A trailer that looks back in time and then forward, then right, left, inside out.
Although I'm dialed in to Dial, I had hoped to see a less hectic rushed computer generated scene
after explosive violent scene in favour of a more subdued story, sartorial aplomb, fedora, homburg, cap,
leather jacketed replete but restrained, yet a substantive film.

Edward

Bartender
. . . or she is still alive and he has finally decided to spend more time with her.

That would make sense as a motivation for retirement; be interesting to see if there's a plotline where she has direct involvement, or if she's more of a cameo player.

I like how they're developing PB-W's character. I certainly wouldn't object to seeing more of her in a spin-off.

A trailer that looks back in time and then forward, then right, left, inside out.
Although I'm dialed in to Dial, I had hoped to see a less hectic rushed computer generated scene
after explosive violent scene in favour of a more subdued story, sartorial aplomb, fedora, homburg, cap,
leather jacketed replete but restrained, yet a substantive film.

It's interesting how the costuming changed after the success of Raiders. In the first film, the brown fedora and the leather jacket are essentially disposable.... both get lost somewhere en route to the Nazi submarine base, and in the DC scene at the end he's in a grey fedora.... By the time Temple rolls around, Raiders has made the brown fedora iconic, and we rarely see him without it (and I don't recall any other hat of note, save a uniform cop when in Nazi disguise in Crusade), and little of him not in the leather jacket right up until Crystal Skull. Notably, the only scene in Crystal Skull where he's again wearing a grey hat and not "the" Indy hat is when he's on that train, leaving the university for Europe after being blacklisted....and before adventure draws him back in again. At the end, when we have the 'I'm not done yet, kid' sequence in the church, it's still the iconic brown fedora he dons as he leaves. I'll be very surprised if we see him in anything much else this time round.

As to the action scenes, the snippets of interview I've seen with Mangold all suggest it won't be an action-dominated picture; I expect the balance will be much the same as before, with the trailer being somewhat misleading in the way it cuts a lot of those sequences together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko